need some help regarding meditation and magery

Moderator: Support Moderators

Tyr

need some help regarding meditation and magery

Post by Tyr »

hi guys, im building a custom theif toon want some advice on the relationship between different values of magery and meditation and also got a question about wrestling.

firstly id like to ask this;
are skills like hide,stealth,snoop,steal,lockpick in anyway enhanced by a high dex stat?

bearing in mind that i dont have this information at hand this is what I thought i would do assuming they ARE enhanced by a high dex stat. if they are not enhanced i will do a 100/25/100 setup.

100/40/85
Hiding: 100
Snooping: 100
Stealing: 100
Stealth: 100
Magery: 70
Wrestling: 70
Meditation: 68
Lock Pick: 92

NOW, at 70 magery how effective is 68 meditation at what values will I be able to meditate, what is the cut off point where I will have to pop a mana potion because I cannot meditate. is there any room to lower meditation assuming that I will have 85 int if dex affects the skills i mentioned above.

about wrestling;

how worth it will it be to have wrestling at 70? my initial thought was to have it at 90 but that left me with even more of a dilemna regarding amgery and meditation.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: need some help regarding meditation and magery

Post by the bazookas »

Tyr wrote:are skills like hide,stealth,snoop,steal,lockpick in anyway enhanced by a high dex stat?
It is only enhanced if the skill is below 100.0%. Also, the closer you are to 100.0%, the less it is enhanced (you can see this enhancement in the skill menu--if you have not selected the "show real" option in the bottom right, then it will show your stat-enhanced skill level). For example, if you had 0.0 real skill, a dex bonus might enhance that to 10.0%. However, if you train it up to 90.0%, the dex bonus might only up it to 91.0%... so the stat bonus has diminishing returns.
Tyr wrote:NOW, at 70 magery how effective is 68 meditation at what values will I be able to meditate, what is the cut off point where I will have to pop a mana potion because I cannot meditate. is there any room to lower meditation assuming that I will have 85 int if dex affects the skills i mentioned above.
This game has no mana potions :). It would make mages too powerful... So you are stuck with whatever your mana regeneration rate is. Note that there is no relationship between magery and meditation--meditation only improves your passive and active (i.e. meditating) mana regeneration rate. However there IS a very big connection between your INT and your meditation.

For example, I have a character who has 70 meditation and 50 INT. He regenerates passively at a rate of about 0.50 mana per second. In fact, I believe that even at GM meditation, he would regenerate at that speed due to his intelligence.

I have played around with the INT levels of a GM meditation character. I found that there are "thresholds" that exist based on your INT that limit your meditation rate. If your INT is >= 80, then you will regenerate at a rate of 1.0 mana per second (2.0 mana /sec if meditating). If your INT is < 80 (I don't know what they lower limit is--probably 65 or so), then you will regenerate at a rate of 0.75 mana per second (1.5 mana /sec if meditating)... this is true even if your lower intelligence is due to the Feeblemind spell, which is one reason tank mages generally have 90 INT 35 DEX instead of 80 INT and 45 DEX--it really slows your mana regeneration down if you get feebleminded -10 INT points. I believe (unconfirmed) that if your INT is closer to 50, then even a GM meditator will regenerate 0.50 mana/second (1.0 mana/sec if meditating). I have not tested 100 INT and 70 meditation, so you will need to test it. The benchmark to test it against is, of course, 1.0 mana per second passive.

Whether you succeed at active meditation is dependent on your mana level. I don't know the exact formula for whether you succeed, but I would guesstimate that you have about 50% chance (or a bit less) of meditating when your mana = INT - meditation skill... so at 70 meditation and 100 INT, you would fail quite regularly to meditate at 30 mana.

Tyr wrote:how worth it will it be to have wrestling at 70? my initial thought was to have it at 90 but that left me with even more of a dilemna regarding amgery and meditation.
I have a character with 90 wrestling. It works quite well--according to the Chance to Hit section at http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Weapon_skills,

Hit Chance = ( Attacker's Weapon Skill + 50 ) ÷ ( [Defender's Weapon Skill + 50] x 2 )

Which means if you have GM and your attacker has GM, then he has a 50% chance to hit you. If you have 90.0, then he has a 53.6% chance to hit you (not bad). If you have 70 wrestling, they have a 62.5% chance of hitting you (that's getting a little bit high, but it's not terrible compared to 50%).
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Tyr

Post by Tyr »

ahh what a wonderfully helpful post!
so im definitely going to go for a 100/25/100 setup that seems be certain now.
so in effect, meditation at 68 with 100 int would be decent, but If i dropped below 30 ill fail alot at active meditation, but ill be regenerating at a speed of around 0.7 mana per second passive and 1.4 active if I can succeed in getting into it.

do you think wrestling at 70 is a waste of 70 points then? 62.5% is not great...so ive got a 3rd of a chance of dodging their attack, considering I will be wearing leather armour, this chance could amke the difference i guess...

hrmm. just to check that what i read online is correct, I can pick level 4 chests at 92 lockpick right? how much (if at all) will it fail? or is lockpick such a skill that it can always fail even at gm?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Tyr wrote:do you think wrestling at 70 is a waste of 70 points then? 62.5% is not great...so ive got a 3rd of a chance of dodging their attack, considering I will be wearing leather armour, this chance could amke the difference i guess...
Yes, I would argue that it would still be worth it. If you fight a warrior (or a tank mage with a hally) with no wrestling, they will hit you every time they swing, and that makes it very difficult to survive. Anything that causes them to miss (even if it's only about 40% chance) will be of great benefit to you.
Tyr wrote:so in effect, meditation at 68 with 100 int would be decent, but If i dropped below 30 ill fail alot at active meditation, but ill be regenerating at a speed of around 0.7 mana per second passive and 1.4 active if I can succeed in getting into it.
I am guessing that 0.7 mana per second passive would be about the regeneration rate you'd get, but I can't be sure... I haven't tested a character with 100 INT and 70 meditation. I would recommend working it up to 70 along with your magery (assuming you have 100 INT by then) and testing it out. I'd love to hear what you find out when you get there. Since the question is whether it is "enough", I think there is no reason to go ahead and get it up to at least 70 then make a decision based on whether the regeneration rate is fast enough for you when you test it. NOTE that leather armor does in fact slow down your regeneration rate (unfortunately), almost all mages don't use it. You can get up to 5 AR using various combinations of Non-exceptional clothes and boots (not sure if you can do better with exceptional clothes), and you can also cast protection on yourself to get an extra bonus AR that lasts for a few minutes and doesn't slow down meditation.
Tyr wrote:just to check that what i read online is correct, I can pick level 4 chests at 92 lockpick right? how much (if at all) will it fail? or is lockpick such a skill that it can always fail even at gm?
I can't speak to lockpicking--never done it. Sorry :P
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

with 0 detect hidden bonus and 92 lp which i could of swore you need 94.5 or something to pick level 4 dungeon chest, you will fail quite often and will be wasting a lot of time between chest(this also slows the overal repsawn rate over the very limited amount of level 4 chest, also getting lock picking that high and not having cartography on the template is kinda of a major waste imo. 70 magery is very weak if you intend to be a thief you want 90 or so + gate scrolls else you wont be looting any houses or doing much at idocs. 70 wreste while its better then zero i find that 20 point's much better spent as well imo. if you really just want to stealth pick dungeon chest make a hide /stealth/lockpicker who can recall and have at it. if you want to steal / thief etc then go that route spliting up to two jobs here and limiting your self in the long run. ~lelouche
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Return to “New Player Help”