Avoiding an earthquake while inside

Moderator: Support Moderators

randale

Avoiding an earthquake while inside

Post by randale »

I know a castle or keep has some tiles further inward in which one can't hit you, what about a tower, anywhere near the direct center of where you'd be safe? They can know someone is home by mobs hanging out around the outside walls. Would tracking tell them someone is home as well?

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Avoiding an earthquake while inside

Post by Jill Stihl »

Earthquake has a range of 8 tiles from the caster, according to the wiki. Nothing smaller than a keep has any tiles out of range of that (tower is only 16x14).

Tracking, together with a little running around the outside of the house, will show that there's a hidden toon inside.

Zim

Post by Zim »

It won't stop murderers but you can login some blue toons with extremely low life (Magical hat), and give the would be murderer some extra counts. With the help of a friend, you can turn a blue red instantly.

randale

Post by randale »

It won't stop murderers but you can login some blue toons with extremely low life (Magical hat), and give the would be murderer some extra counts.
Why would I want to? To make them more notorious? So, that they go further up on the bounty board?
With the help of a friend, you can turn a blue red instantly.
How?

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

randale wrote:
With the help of a friend, you can turn a blue red instantly.
How?
By having them kill 5 or more toons inside the house instead of the one they had planned to.

Search "Operation Red Hemporer" on the forum to see it in action.

But TBH parking half a dozen toons in your house while your macroing is a bit of an effort unless you know someone is targeting you all the time, imo.

randale

Post by randale »

Earthquake has a range of 8 tiles from the caster, according to the wiki. Nothing smaller than a keep has any tiles out of range of that (tower is only 16x14).
Is this excluding the roof's wings? I believe there is one or two tiles, where you'll be safe from an EQ that comes from a tile adjacent to the outside north, east and west walls, is this well known? And Pkers know where to stand to hit someone standing at that exact spot?
Tracking, together with a little running around the outside of the house, will show that there's a hidden toon inside.
I hadn't thought about it, but I could use EQ to kill some reds in their houses. Another thing is will it halve the hitpoints of any mob or toon? Anything from a mongbat to an Ancient Wyrm? Sounds useful in that regard. A lot of reds seem to have towers as well. Would need tracking to see if there's anyone else inside the house you don't want to kill as well.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

The 16x14 footprint excludes the wings yes. But then someone stood against the wall is also under the wings, so they don't seem relevant to EQ range?

randale wrote:I hadn't thought about it, but I could use EQ to kill some reds in their houses. Another thing is will it halve the hitpoints of any mob or toon? Anything from a mongbat to an Ancient Wyrm? Sounds useful in that regard. A lot of reds seem to have towers as well. Would need tracking to see if there's anyone else inside the house you don't want to kill as well.
Sorry if I'm being simple here - You do know you can't kill a player with earthquake?

It can be used to make them kill themselves if they are macroing (poorly) certain damage inflicting skills, and will kill non-player mobiles like sheep etc, but earthquake cannot directly kill a player.

randale

Post by randale »

Sorry if I'm being simple here - You do know you can't kill a player with earthquake?

It can be used to make them kill themselves if they are macroing (poorly) certain damage inflicting skills, and will kill non-player mobiles like sheep etc, but earthquake cannot directly kill a player.
Um, no I didn't, but you can't halve 1 hit point, so it would either have to do nothing, or kill them. Both my toons were killed the other night in house, they were not doing any macroing that could get them killed, no damage being done. I guess I must have left the door open or something? It was in a room, with an interior door. I have some things locked down, one bag full of magic armor and weapons, none of them were missing.

Also, how do you lock an interior door/change the locks?

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

randale wrote:Um, no I didn't, but you can't halve 1 hit point, so it would either have to do nothing, or kill them. Both my toons were killed the other night in house, they were not doing any macroing that could get them killed, no damage being done. I guess I must have left the door open or something? It was in a room, with an interior door. I have some things locked down, one bag full of magic armor and weapons, none of them were missing.
If you are within two tiles of a wall you can be killed by other spells such as chain lightning.

Also, if it's a tower people have ways of leading EVs in from the roof if access isn't blocked off at the stairs.

If neither of those apply someone else might have a suggestion?......

It's been a while but IIRC you D-Click the main house key and target an interior door, this will fit locks to the interior doors and drop a set of keys into your pack.

randale

Post by randale »

It's been a while but IIRC you D-Click the main house key and target an interior door, this will fit locks to the interior doors and drop a set of keys into your pack.[/quote]

Yes, I'd like to know. I'm guessing I can also lock down another key on a keyring or not right by the interior door.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Yes, you can lock down interior keys next to the corresponding door.

And yes, no one killed you using earthquake unless you were taking damage from an outside source.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

There is actually no tile in a castle that is safe from earthquake damage, if the courtyard is compromised.

Keep is the only structure which is safe, and even then it is possible that runes to the keep courtyard exist somewhere.

If you are macroing a spell which directly damages yourself, there is NO type of macro which is 100% safe unless you are in a secure keep/castle.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

randale

Post by randale »

If you are macroing a spell which directly damages yourself, there is NO type of macro which is 100% safe unless you are in a secure keep/castle.
Well, what if I had the macro set not to flamestrike me, unless I had 61 or more hits? I did get killed using it the other night(at 51 actually, higher magery, maybe it was that plus my eval that did more) but I'm not sure it was solely the FS, someone could have cast an earthquake that took effect just before the FS hit me.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

randale wrote:
Well, what if I had the macro set not to flamestrike me, unless I had 61 or more hits? I did get killed using it the other night(at 51 actually, higher magery, maybe it was that plus my eval that did more) but I'm not sure it was solely the FS, someone could have cast an earthquake that took effect just before the FS hit me.
The problem with this is that even if you put the health point check around your targeting, FS and all other direct damage spells except harm, have a 1 second damage delay.

There is a trick to timing an earthquake with a player inside casting offensive spells. I'd like to thank Malice for that one, who got me thinking how he managed to kill my stat loss PK while macroing...
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

OMG TELL US YOUR SECRET PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS!