Remove Guild chat and auto light levels

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
LeonZA

Re: Remove Guild chat and auto light levels

Post by LeonZA »

- Installed the T2A client.
- Patched up to 5.0.8.3
- Launched it with Razor to check if MIDIs work. They did work, but they also worked in UOML.
- Moved all the MIDIs out of a folder to a backup location
- Copied MP3s to the Music folder (Was not sure if it would be looking for the music in the Music\Digital folder or not)
- Launched UO through Razor and heard some music playing. So far its looking good. Tested moving in and out of a region and I thought: Yay!, but wait a minute...false alarm. They don't sound like the MP3s. They sound exactly like the MIDIs.WHAAT?? I removed all traces. After struggling for about an hour I realized that if the client can't find a file it will look for it from the (cd path) location where you installed it from. So I renamed the installation folder.
- Launched the Client. No music.
- Now I moved the MP3s to the Music\Digital folder and placed a valid Config.txt with them.
- Launched the Client. Music is playing. Went ingame and tried testing going in and out of a region. Not working. Exact same problem I had with UOML and the UOSA client from the site. (If at this point I did not rename the installation folder it will play the MIDI even if the file with the same name exists in the Music\Digital folder and it has the correct entry in the Config.txt file)

What is a bit strange to me is why did the Second Age Client from this site have all the MP3s in the Music folder and they played...., but with this client I have to put them in the Music\Digital folder?

I am going to try installing UO on an XP machine later and see what happens

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

LeonZA wrote:- Installed the T2A client.
- Patched up to 5.0.8.3
- Launched it with Razor to check if MIDIs work. They did work, but they also worked in UOML.
- Moved all the MIDIs out of a folder to a backup location
- Copied MP3s to the Music folder (Was not sure if it would be looking for the music in the Music\Digital folder or not)
- Launched UO through Razor and heard some music playing. So far its looking good. Tested moving in and out of a region and I thought: Yay!, but wait a minute...false alarm. They don't sound like the MP3s. They sound exactly like the MIDIs.WHAAT?? I removed all traces. After struggling for about an hour I realized that if the client can't find a file it will look for it from the (cd path) location where you installed it from. So I renamed the installation folder.
- Launched the Client. No music.
- Now I moved the MP3s to the Music\Digital folder and placed a valid Config.txt with them.
- Launched the Client. Music is playing. Went ingame and tried testing going in and out of a region. Not working. Exact same problem I had with UOML and the UOSA client from the site. (If at this point I did not rename the installation folder it will play the MIDI even if the file with the same name exists in the Music\Digital folder and it has the correct entry in the Config.txt file)

What is a bit strange to me is why did the Second Age Client from this site have all the MP3s in the Music folder and they played...., but with this client I have to put them in the Music\Digital folder?

I am going to try installing UO on an XP machine later and see what happens
Just curious, have you tried listening to the .mp3's outside of the client to see if they are just converted .midi's to begin with?
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

Just curious, have you tried listening to the .mp3's outside of the client to see if they are just converted .midi's to begin with?
I have, yes. The MP3 is the same song converted from MIDI, but it is very easy to tell the difference. The MIDI has:
No reverb
Instruments sound different
Some missing instruments

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Hrmmm...should be able to clean up the reverb on the .mp3's.

Are there particular ones with the reverb?
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Who is NOT using vent nowadays? Regardless.....let's not waste Derricks' time complaining about guildchat, removing it wouldn't do anything.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

Hrmmm...should be able to clean up the reverb on the .mp3's.

Are there particular ones with the reverb?
Sorry, the MP3s that I made had reverb, but I have tried other MP3s including the ones from the Second Age Installer.

I really don't know how other people are getting the music to work as I think this is a problem on the server. I can get the music working flawlessly on other shards like Origins Online without any effort. Any MP3 I put in the Music\Digital folder with the correct Config.txt gets played.

I really do think that if the client does not receive the correct order of packets during login then the music just wont work correctly afterwards.

This is how it works on the other shards:
After you have selected a character and you are about to enter the world the following packets (From client point of view):
Receives 0x55 - LoginComplete
Sends 0x06 - DoubleClick
Sends 0x34 - ClientQuery
Receives 0x5B - GameTime
Receives 0x1C - ASCII Welcome message
Receives 0x6D - Play Music <-- I think it is important that this directly follows 0x5B and 0x1C
..Other packets
Any other play 6D music packets received after this play correctly.

On this shard:
Receives 0x55 - LoginComplete
Sends 0x06 - DoubleClick
Sends 0x34 - ClientQuery
Receives 0x5B - GameTime
Receives 0x1C - ASCII Welcome message
..Other packets
Any play 6D music packets received will now force the client to play the MIDI versions instead...

I might be wrong, but this is the only logical explanation that I could find after looking at all the packets.

Edit:
On the out of town music issue:
There should be two ways to get out of town music working. On the server change the 65535 music id received when leaving town to a valid music id. Not sure if that id is hardcoded in runuo though
or
Add a global out of town region with a valid music id

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Midi/mp3 sound discussion moved to: Subject: Dedicated Music Issues Thread
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Xearo

Post by Xearo »

A few months late, but better late than never, right?
I could have started a new post but why duplicate things.

I totally agree with razor filters being blocked, the majority of players use razor. This would make the light sources useful again. Yes, i could disable the filter on razor for an individual experience of the T2A era in true light, but who wants to be the only one running around with a torch / spending money on night sight potions which no one sells. Disabling these filters brings the whole nostalgic feel to the shard which everyone tries so hard to achieve. Running into a darkened dungeon with the dungeon music playing brings the complete atmosphere to playing, reliving those truly great times.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

make vent an illegal program.. NEA!!
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Boondock_Saint wrote:make vent an illegal program.. NEA!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Wilco_(software)
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall