Tailoring Delay

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Traks

Tailoring Delay

Post by Traks »

I know I should have evidence, but I don't.

The ~10sec delay on Tailoring seems a bit long, I thought it was ~4-5 sec.

The only thing I could find was :
Spam and overlong delays are being removed from the following skills:
Alchemy
Lumberjacking
Mining
Tailoring
Blacksmithing
Which isn't really any hard evidence, but it is sort of supportive. Has this been discussed before? I did a quick search and it didn't turn anything up...but I didn't try super hard.

Thx

Faust

Re: Tailoring Delay

Post by Faust »

Those overlong delays were all skill specific to each one and is not exactly the delay you speak of here and can be reviewed in the demo code itself.

Skills with a delay used a static 10 second delay up until the pre-UOR change that modified a huge number of the skills. IE: anatomy, eval, arms lore, id, etc... This patch can be reviewed in the early '00 days just before UOR.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

was that the time stealth was changed? at one point you were able to stealth and so many seconds later stealth again on dial up i could literally walk and before my revealing step would take place i would re stealth, that was pre-uor "prep" patches ya? or am I way off here.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Not seeing stealth being a part of that update when many of the skills changed to 1 second instead of the standard 10 second reuse delay.
Server Publish Mar 9 2000 10:52AM CST - Changes to Skill Gain - http://wiki.uosecondage.com/2000_Patch_Notes wrote:
  • Skill delays for the following skills will be shortened to one second. Animal Lore
    • Arms Lore
    • Anatomy
    • Item Identification
    • Detect Hidden
    • Enticement
    • Evaluate Intelligence
    • Forensic Evaluation
    • Sprit Speak
    • Taste Identification
  • The delay for using peacemaking will be 5 seconds upon a successful attempt and the normal 10 seconds for failure.
The overlong delays that the original poster used as a source above was when lumberjacking, mining, etc... many of the resource based skills would have a very long delay that seemed to take for an eternity to finish. For example, mining would sit there hitting the ground/mountain over and over until the skill failed or succeeded. These delays were very annoying but definitely were more realistic in a way though.

There is possibly some merrit for looking into this though.

Mining changed to no delay besides the action delay on the tool, lumberjacking was 1-3 seconds between the strikes on the tree, and not positive what the others could have been changed too. The reuse delay on the other skills would be best to clarify from the way it worked with this delay on the demo to be positive how it functioned and compared to the standard 10 second skill use delay.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Faust wrote:
  • The delay for using peacemaking will be 5 seconds upon a successful attempt and the normal 10 seconds for failure.
What is the current 5s delay on provocation failure based on? I assume it is the same with peacemaking.. this patch note seems to suggest otherwise.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Some notes on this:

In the demo, each of the skills has a very long delay attached to it, typically with a repeating pattern of performing the action used to create the item over and over. Specifically, here are the delays for each skill:

Alchemy: 8.75 seconds
Lumberjacking: Theoretically infinite with at least 1.25 seconds wait time
Mining: 2 seconds, (1 second animation, 1 second after that, ore is acquired)
Tailoring: 0 second delay
Blacksmithing: Theoretically infinite, with at least a 0.25 second wait time

If you notice, Tailoring has zero delay before the item is created, yet the patch notes talk about removing overly long delays from tailoring. Thus, we can only conclude that such delays were added at some time in the future. This newsgroup post provides us with clear information about when these delays were added in:
In addition to making Tailoring skill-based like blacksmithing (which
I have no problem with), they are adding the same kind of delay on
item creation you get as a smith. As someone who's spent a lot of time
as a smith, I can tell you that that random delay with each item you
make is TEDIOUS. Given the volume of leather bustiers I sometimes pump
out, I am definitely not looking forward to waiting on the damn items
to be created.
Thus, we can see that each of these skills did eventually have a rather sizable delay (excluding mining to some extent). With the 5/25 patch these delays were normalized to a more static time that was uniform across all skills.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Faust

Post by Faust »

nightshark wrote:What is the current 5s delay on provocation failure based on? I assume it is the same with peacemaking.. this patch note seems to suggest otherwise.
The patch notes on failure is past our era replication process. The delay should be a static 10 second delay immediatley upon hitting the skill use button/macro initializing the skill. This applied to both peacemaking and provocation. If this isn't how it is currently functioning on UOSA than this is an error that needs fixed.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Faust wrote:
nightshark wrote:What is the current 5s delay on provocation failure based on? I assume it is the same with peacemaking.. this patch note seems to suggest otherwise.
The patch notes on failure is past our era replication process. The delay should be a static 10 second delay immediatley upon hitting the skill use button/macro initializing the skill. This applied to both peacemaking and provocation. If this isn't how it is currently functioning on UOSA than this is an error that needs fixed.
If the 10 second skill use is meant to apply to all skills, anatomy might need looking at as it's also just a 6s delay.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

smart86

Post by smart86 »

nightshark wrote: If the 10 second skill use is meant to apply to all skills, anatomy might need looking at as it's also just a 6s delay.
Actually even lower than that. I use a 5.80 second delay for anatomy w/o any hiccups.