Mount Stamina

Moderator: Support Moderators

Nefarity

Mount Stamina

Post by Nefarity »

Hey there,

having been involved in a couple of fights lately, always being denied the kill by my trash mount's stamina, a couple of questions have arisen. I've been doing a bit of research myself already, but some sources are out-dated, some don't seem to make sense... you know how it is.

So anyway, here it goes:

a) What mount has the most stamina? What's next in line?
- I have some contradicting info on this. Some claim nightmares have the highest amount of stamina, some claim frenzied ostards have even more. Furthermore I read that llamas and horses have exactly the same amount of stamina, yet I feel people riding a llama vs me on my horse run out of mount stamina less quickly than I do.

b) Do frenzied ostards and/or nightmares really have that much more stamina than a horse?
- I mean how does an ostard feel compared to a horse. Do I basically never run out of stamina using an ostard unless I run at full speed over the whole map or do I still have to be careful?

c) How much are frenzied ostards and where's the best place to buy them?

d) Is there some kind of trick what to do when your mount runs out of stamina during combat?
- I got the impression some people have a macro to dismount, feed and then say all follow me or something. Basically when my mount is on the brink of running of of stamina, I often seen people dismount and do *something* and then they can run again while I'm stuck with my staminaless mount.

e) Does my mount's stamina have anything to do with my own stamina or my hunger state?

f) Anything else I should know about mounts?

Btw. did I mention I hate mounts? Why do they have to be in EVERY game? Just make base movement speed a bit higher and forget about those damn grain-eating.......

Ok sorry, got a bit carried away there. Anyway, I hope some of you guys can help me with this. It'd be much appreciated =)

So long,
Nef

Nefarity

Re: Mount Stamina

Post by Nefarity »

I realize it's a bunch of questions I got, but please help me out here =)

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Nefarity wrote:a) What mount has the most stamina? What's next in line?
Frenzied ostards have the most. Beyond that, I don't really know, but I don't think there is a huge difference between the other mounts.
Nefarity wrote:b) Do frenzied ostards and/or nightmares really have that much more stamina than a horse?
- I mean how does an ostard feel compared to a horse. Do I basically never run out of stamina using an ostard unless I run at full speed over the whole map or do I still have to be careful?
Frenzied ostards definitely can run longer than horses, but as I said, I don't that there is much difference for the others. You really can run a LONG time on a frenzied.
Nefarity wrote:c) How much are frenzied ostards and where's the best place to buy them?
I actually haven't ever bought one, but I don't think they are that expensive (something like 1k or 2k, I would guess). You could post on the forums in the Trading section that you want to buy frenzied ostards. I'm pretty sure you'll fidn a seller.
Nefarity wrote:d) Is there some kind of trick what to do when your mount runs out of stamina during combat?
- I got the impression some people have a macro to dismount, feed and then say all follow me or something. Basically when my mount is on the brink of running of of stamina, I often seen people dismount and do *something* and then they can run again while I'm stuck with my staminaless mount.
People definitely create macros for this (myself included). It does not involve feeding them. All you have to do is create a Razor macro, press the Record button, double click yourself (to dismount), say "all follow me", and then double click the mount. Add that macro to an accessible hotkey, and mount stamina suddenly becomes a pretty non-existent issue. Again, no feeding required. It's actually not a terrible idea to insert a pause for 0.25 seconds right after dismounting (before saying "all follow me"), since occasionally your command won't register because of a slight delay in dismounting.
Nefarity wrote:e) Does my mount's stamina have anything to do with my own stamina or my hunger state?
Mount stamina has nothing to do with your stamina, except that if YOU run out of stamina, you cannot move just as if your mount ran out of stamina (silly, but true).
Nefarity wrote:f) Anything else I should know about mounts?
One thing is that I have heard (though I cannot confirm) that mount loyalty doesn't decay while you are riding them, so unless you have been off of a mount for quite a while, there is no need to feed them regularly. Others, however, have experienced their mounts kicking them off as they go untame (so it's probably a good policy to feed them--particularly if they are a frenzied ostard).

Another thing is that with 0 taming, I don't think you can really control a frenzied ostard. I've had issues refreshing their stamina by saying "all follow me". Not sure if anybody else can comment on this. I've only used a frenzied like once in my year of playing this server, so I don't know much about it. One thing I have seen is that when you buy a frenzied, have the owner tell it to follow you before they transfer it to you, so when you die or dismount, it doesn't just start wandering off.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Wait... mount stamina instantly regenerates to 100% by dismounting and saying all follow me?

That explains A LOT....

Say, is there any chance my mounts gets attacked while doing this making me unable to mount it again?

Thx for your long answer, I really appreciate it.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

There is a chance of your mount getting attacked. This is tricky to pull off, but I've done it on several occasions (it's a lot easier if they don't have a macro, since it usually takes a slight moment longer for those kinds of people to remount). I don't think monsters attack your mount UNLESS you step off the same square that your mount is on (or if it wanders off the square you are on)
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

And my mount being attacked means I can't re-mount right? So basically IF this happens I am screwed. Or is there a way to remount even if my mount gets attacked?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Believe me, it doesn't happen often (especially if you have a macro). But if it does, yes, you are in a bit of trouble. Obviously the amount of trouble you are in depends on the situation. If you have friends around, you might be all right. If you have no friends around and several enemies, it's probably time to recall asap.

As for remounting, there is only a few options.
1) Cast invisibility on the person attacking your horse and immediately jump on afterward (have to be REAL quick, because they might attack the horse again before you have a chance to jump on). Note that this will make you a criminal as well for performing a beneficial action on a criminal.
2) use peacemaking (obviously you have to have the skill) and jump on quickly
3) say "all follow me" a ton and drag the horse about a screen away from the attacker (works ok against monsters, but not so much against players who generally will just follow behind)
4) cast a gate (preferably to town), say "all follow me" a lot, and then walk through the gate. Hopefully your mount will follow you through, and if the enemy happens to follow you, then have your mount attack them (say "all kill" and target them). You know, I haven't actually tested this, but I'm pretty sure that if you do so and they auto-swing at your mount while in town, then you can call the guards on them ;).

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Ok thx again, I've set up my macro now. I did have to put in a delay of 0.7 seconds though because of the natural action delay between dismount and remount. Or is there a way to circumvent this? If not that makes the additional 0.25 seconds delay you suggested for the 'all follow me' command obsolete then, doesn't it?

Currently my macro looks like this:
Dismount
Wait for 0.7 seconds
Say: All follow me
Say: All follow me
Re-Mount

Works pretty well so far. It even works in combat mode even though I disabled dismounting in combat. The only thing I'm concerned about is the delay between dismounting and remounting. Considering that it should take about 0.5 to even visually realize that someone just dismounted my concerns are probably unwarranted though.

What do you think?

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

I only have a couple of characters that use mounts, and they are just horses usually, but you don't have to say 'all follow me' after dismounting. Say it once before you get on the first time and the mount will remain in follow mode. Merely dismounting and mounting once it's in follow mode will refresh it.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

the bazookas wrote: Another thing is that with 0 taming, I don't think you can really control a frenzied ostard. I've had issues refreshing their stamina by saying "all follow me". Not sure if anybody else can comment on this. I've only used a frenzied like once in my year of playing this server, so I don't know much about it. One thing I have seen is that when you buy a frenzied, have the owner tell it to follow you before they transfer it to you, so when you die or dismount, it doesn't just start wandering off.
If the pet is already under the 'follow you' command, then the 100% refresh works without giving the command again. So if your mount is already following you you can remove the 'all follow me' from your macro and just mount/dismount. I believe the reason that most people add the 'all follow me' command is just for caution (in case they can't remember the last command they gave the pet?).

For pets like Frenzieds/Nightmares you will need to have a tamer re-give the follow command if at anytime the mount forgets the command (i.e. it is engaged in battle). It is possible for somebody with 0 taming to re-tame any previously tamed creature including dragons, white wyrms, nightmares and frenzieds. However if you have 0 taming and 0 animal lore the ratio of command given to command taken is like 70:1 with a lot of meat required after each failed attempt.

I have tested having a char with just 100 animal lore and it seems to bring the ratio down, but it is still like 15 or 20 commands given to one taken.

If you give a high level pet a command too many times without feeding it, it will go wild and once wild it will probably eat you.

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

applejack wrote:You don't have to say 'all follow me' after dismounting. Say it once before you get on the first time and the mount will remain in follow mode. Merely dismounting and mounting once it's in follow mode will refresh it.
Jupiter wrote:If the pet is already under the 'follow you' command, then the 100% refresh works without giving the command again.
Ahh, good to know ;). Guess I always just assumed that you had to give some command, but now it makes sense why I was having trouble refreshing that one frenzied I had since the person who gave it to me didn't command it to follow me (and I couldn't get it to, even after feeding it quite a bit :P).

I still will probably use a horse, though, since I play in a kamikaze way, and it would be too much trouble replacing the frenzied all the time ;).

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Thx again everyone. Just to make sure again, there is no way to circumvent the 0.7 seconds action delay between dismounting and remounting, right?

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Nope. In fact, technically there is a 1.0 second "object action" delay for any "object actions", which includes things like using potions, opening doors, dismounting, opening a backpack, picking up an item. I would, actually recommend changing the object action delay to 1000 ms in the "More Options" tab of Razor, as your macros and things like Razor Restock and organize agents use that delay to determine how quickly it attempts to do things. I have seen the 0.7 second delay work for some things, but to be sure that you don't run into the "you must wait to perform another action" issue, I would do a 1.0 second delay in practically all cases.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Nefarity wrote:Hey there,

having been involved in a couple of fights lately, always being denied the kill by my trash mount's stamina, a couple of questions have arisen. I've been doing a bit of research myself already, but some sources are out-dated, some don't seem to make sense... you know how it is.

So anyway, here it goes:

a) What mount has the most stamina? What's next in line?
- I have some contradicting info on this. Some claim nightmares have the highest amount of stamina, some claim frenzied ostards have even more. Furthermore I read that llamas and horses have exactly the same amount of stamina, yet I feel people riding a llama vs me on my horse run out of mount stamina less quickly than I do.
As others have said, frenzieds definitely have more stamina. Nightmares have a "comparable" amount of stamina, but not quite as much as the frenzied. Horses, llamas and forest/desert ostards all have similar amounts of stam, not enough to be a noticeable difference.
Nefarity wrote:b) Do frenzied ostards and/or nightmares really have that much more stamina than a horse?
You will run out of stamina on a frenzied, but it will last at least 3 or 4 times more than a horse.
Nefarity wrote:c) How much are frenzied ostards and where's the best place to buy them?
2-5k depending on the color, and the best place to buy them is looking for Azheman or albewan on IRC.
Nefarity wrote:d) Is there some kind of trick what to do when your mount runs out of stamina during combat?
Although this has been thourougly explained before, I'd add that you should take into account your latency when setting up your macro. Mine is: dismount, pause 1s, remount. I have never had the problem of loosing a mount to aggro during that second, and I have also never lost a mount because of a failed queued action (which I did once before when my pause was less than 1s).
Nefarity wrote:f) Anything else I should know about mounts?
Yes. When you buy a frenzied, have the tamer put it on follow mode and friend you to the mount. This means the mount will allow you to ride it, but will continue to belong to the tamer. To refresh just dismount/remount. You should never try to give it the follow command, as you will only fail the comand and put the frenzied out of follow mode making it impossible for you to refresh it in the future. Also, when you die, if you manage to get the frenzied back, it will come out of "follow mode", so you'll need the tamer to give it the comand again (now you see why I suggest being friended only?). This is also why I suggest buying from either of the guys above. Not only do they have a large stock of mounts, but they are also available on IRC a lot to help you put your mount back on follow mode. I suggest buying consistently from one of them so you'll always know who to look for when you need a re-following.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

Thx again =)

About that delay, I think I will try 0.7 or maybe 0.8 seconds for now and change it to 1 second if I run into problems. My ping isn't the best(around ~115ms since I'm from Europe), but it's very consistent. There's usually only a 2ms difference between best and worst ping in UOTrace.

Frenzied Ostards are beginning to sound like more trouble than they're worth. If this dismount/remount macro really works as smoothly as you guys say I can see no reason not to go for a regular horse.

Return to “New Player Help”