UOSA needs some pep put into it's step!

Topics related to Second Age
Citronelle

UOSA needs some pep put into it's step!

Post by Citronelle »

I've gotten bored lately. Can we get an event?

Also, with some folks quitting and complaining over stuff, I simply want to know (and I'm sure this isn't the first time the question has been posed) . . . at what point does Era accuracy become more important than the population / activity of the player base?

^^ and that is a legitimate question. Not crying, sarcasm or subliminal trolling.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: UOSA needs some pep put into it's step!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Population hasn't changed. We (supposedly) lost a handfull of players, 95% of which didn't actually play anyway. Telamon, Brules, Lightshade et al. are loud on the forums, but that's no indication of their contribution to the game.

Here are players online for the last 6 months:

It's clearly periodic, with an amplitide of about 50-100 players. Probably depending on the school semesters. Don't listen to the "OMG EVERYONES QUITTING CAUSE THERE WAS A CHANGE" banter.

Edit:
For the heck of it, here is a 2 year range, you can really see the harmonic change.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Citronelle wrote:I've gotten bored lately. Can we get an event?

Also, with some folks quitting and complaining over stuff, I simply want to know (and I'm sure this isn't the first time the question has been posed) . . . at what point does Era accuracy become more important than the population / activity of the player base?

^^ and that is a legitimate question. Not crying, sarcasm or subliminal trolling.
Make an event. Try something new to you. Set some in game goals. If you are bored, you are playing UO wrong.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Also, no one left.

Harris

Post by Harris »

I remember in the old days groups or guilds would set up player-run events. I seem to recall entry fees and such, and everyone played nice. It wouldn't be too difficult to set something up, like a tourney, with different classes and matches, and maybe a 2k entry fee. Ha, wish I could remember where we held those...

Of course, you'll have folks want to steal or loot and recall out, but I bet we could figure something out to keep it honorable on our own.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Host many tourneys plz.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

oliVeR

Post by oliVeR »

chumbucket wrote:
If you are bored, you are playing UO wrong.
I concur.

Nidaic

Post by Nidaic »

oliVeR wrote:
chumbucket wrote:
If you are bored, you are playing UO wrong.
I concur.
Indeed.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

at what point does Era accuracy become more important than the population / activity of the player base?

since when does that have anything to do with playing the game wrong? answer the man's question or gtfo
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Brules

Post by Brules »

Matron, I do not know where you get your information, but I am still here and probably play more than you do.

I have alt's and $$$ New Player Housing is going strong as ever helping new players to the shard get established so they have a better chance of hanging around long term! What have you done lately to help the shard to grow? :D

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Citronelle wrote:I've gotten bored lately. Can we get an event?

gms don't control your game play.
this is a sandbox... an ant farm. they set boundaries and we fill in the blanks.

i suggest hooking up with a guild that does dungeon crawls, duel tourny, cock fights, etc

accuracy is what this server has as a goal because people who seek this server out want nostalgia and the UO they remember. some people enjoy making this a research project.. but it is all in the hopes that this place can be a time machine good or bad to a time when games were more lawless and the players were given the freedom to create their own experience.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Population hasn't changed. We (supposedly) lost a handfull of players, 95% of which didn't actually play anyway. Telamon, Brules, Lightshade et al. are loud on the forums, but that's no indication of their contribution to the game.
I won't speak for the others, but since you lumped me in there.... Implying that I haven't contributed to the players on this shard is a grossly misleading statement. Have I guit playing?
Yes.
Happens.

Lobbing shots at my back after I quit and insinuating that I never helped, though, is incredibly pathetic and untruthful in about every manner of speaking. I gave away most of what I had to help out guilds all along the way and in the end gave it all away to guilds and players. Most if it I gave away in a completely random fashion.

I know, I should have Trash Barreled it, right!? :P

Anywho, as far as this "pep" is concerned. Hosting events is quite difficult to do in any consistent manner. Contrary to the insinuation above, I have hosted many events and posted a list of event ideas to help players who are interested in hosting events.

Link: Event Ideas

I've hosted and helped host dozens of events. It takes a lot of time and effort to make it all work. I applaud anyone who takes the time to do it as it is a, for the most part, thankless contribution to the shard. As most people can attest to recently....no one thanks you for doing what they like....they only tell you when they think you are failing...

I know C^V and DG have hosted countless resist sessions at my ( former ) keep in C^V town. If you're looking to help out new players, that is a good start right there. Sponsoring them on Guild Hunts. Doing T-Maps with them. Giving them an equal cut even when they're just starting out. These are all things that will help jump start the new players and give you more players to interact with down the road.

Best of luck getting some of that excitement back, folks.

-Light Shade
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I didn't read all you wrote, need a tl:dr version. But from the first sentence or so...

Nobody said you didn't contribute. I rather liked you before, and still do. It's particularly fun making new versions of your name. However, I do feel that you drastically overreacted about the LOS changes, which is why I used your name in that list of players who are acting like it's the end of the world/server. That being said, I think it must have just been the final straw, and you were contemplating quitting long before the changes went in. I just wish people would be rational about it rather than damning the server everytime they feel like playing something else for a couple of months.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I just wish people would be rational about it rather than damning the server everytime they feel like playing something else for a couple of months.
I'm not your typical player, though. I don't play any other video games. The last video game I played before UO was Final Fantasy 7... I'm not a shard hopper like some of the players. I'm simply done with video gaming by not playing here. The ole computer gets used for architectural plans and researching home design plans these days....if it gets used at all.

*shrugs*

Understandable on your thoughts, though. Its a logical assumption, with most of the players here, to think them avid gamers...in the general sense. :)

-Light Shade
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Well, I just assumed you jumped on the "OMG UOSA IS DEAD LETS GO CUDDLE WITH TELAMON -Brules" bandwagon. My mistake. Let's be friends again.