Archery Being Nerfed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nash87

Archery Being Nerfed

Post by nash87 »

When I played UO Second Age on OSI, archery was *definitely* insta hit.

In 1999, I had a group of players on Atlantic, that were real life friends and would verify this as well (even though I know you need actual data as proof)

So does anyone else remember this?

How can I find actual data to prove this?

We all had 7x archer mages, and 7x hally mages

our templates were as follows

archery, tactics, magery, meditation, evaluating intelligence, wrestling, and resisting spells

Then the usual 7x hally mages. The combo of archer mages and hally mages was amazing and there were incredible pvp wars near Yew.

So yea, I just need help finding information that states it was insta hit in 98 - 99.

Can anyone else help? Or offer their memories of OSI and archery during that period?

nash87

Re: Archery Being Nerfed

Post by nash87 »

By the way

I'm Necro on the shard

just to let everyone know.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Check out the patch note that changed archery. It was probably 1-2 years ago. It was proven to operate on a different system than other weapons, and not have insta-hit.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Thus making it completely terrible for anything outside of PvM and archer-bot turrets.

IE: You can outrun arrows here with any decent internet connection.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Wulver

Post by Wulver »

Archery should be repaired. If not force us all to connect via 56k modem.

jokker
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by jokker »

I also remember things being quite like Necro said. I had an Archer Mage as well.

nash87 wrote:When I played UO Second Age on OSI, archery was *definitely* insta hit.

In 1999, I had a group of players on Atlantic, that were real life friends and would verify this as well (even though I know you need actual data as proof)

So does anyone else remember this?

How can I find actual data to prove this?

We all had 7x archer mages, and 7x hally mages

our templates were as follows

archery, tactics, magery, meditation, evaluating intelligence, wrestling, and resisting spells

Then the usual 7x hally mages. The combo of archer mages and hally mages was amazing and there were incredible pvp wars near Yew.

So yea, I just need help finding information that states it was insta hit in 98 - 99.

Can anyone else help? Or offer their memories of OSI and archery during that period?

nash87

Post by nash87 »

Thank you!

Matron, can you post this patch note?

If this is true, how come I had an archer mage from 98 - 99, and was able to run and shoot on my horse (everyone used bows because they were faster)

and we had hally mages tooo

We had a guild with both of each..

It really made pvp less boring (always using a hally mage, or nox dexxer)

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I'm guessing the "Make Archery useless" patch came out right after you stopped playing.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Wulver

Post by Wulver »

Revert archery~ it will still be era accurate. Nov 99 is NOT an era.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Wulver wrote:Revert archery~ it will still be era accurate. Nov 99 is NOT an era.
Move back the "era" completely so we can have snooping from a stealth too.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

To give some relevant information, all information currently points to archery working the same way it does in the demo, which is a 1 second delay between shooting the bow and actually landing a shot with the bow. This behavior is not changed with the introduction of T2A, whereas all melee weapons are updated to hit at the beginning of their animation. The relevant patch notes are as follows:
February 2, 1999 patch notes wrote:Damage for your blow is now assessed on your opponent on the start of the swing, instead of at the end. This change makes a fast connection less of an advantage in melee combat.
Note the bolded word, as this excludes archery from these changes, given that it is a ranged weapon. Additionally, archery did not receive the prep time change, which allowed melee weapons to be armed and swung shortly after being armed. Faust has several posts outlining quotes from the newsgroups and HoC chats which confirm that this behavior exists, along with the fact that insta hit was never available to archery. Finally, the UOR patch notes also confirm these findings by making specific patch note references to insta hit and archery, that confirm their mutual T2A behavior.

These sources of information give us a very clear picture of the behavior of archery as a skill that was not modified between the demo and UOR, thus excluding it from receiving the changes that some recall it having.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Tiwstacain

Post by Tiwstacain »

you know, i agree with the staff not playing, but at the same time, try making an archer Kaivan go to brit gy and try to actually use it. Die, give me some neons, and then i need gfed trammel crap as well plz

TC

Wulver

Post by Wulver »

Double post
Last edited by Wulver on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wulver

Post by Wulver »

The funny thing is the reason for melee patch... connection speed. We do not use era accurate machines or connections. Archery needs an update, speed up the arrows or something? Make the arrow hit or miss, not able to out-run.

thesorrow121

Post by thesorrow121 »

I will have to agree archery is broken and has been for quite some time, it was one of the reasons i quit here for awhile. Leaving broken game mechanics broken for the sake of era accuracy.
Shit was 10+ years ago, things are much different, internet connections, computers, razor .

The justification for some of the stuff you guys leave in or refuse to change is just not right.
I fail to see the logic, I doubt if the gms of osi were given the same exact problems LOS, and archery they would have done something.
Who's to say that just because the problems were never discovered then that its right to not fix the problem and completely ignore it.

Its a different era you cant just base things off of what x, y, z, gm did. It was 10 + years ago shit was much different.

My view I never played osi or uo before uosa
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=49565&p=426188#p426188
My^vendor some of the best prices around for magic's