Simple Concern

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Simple Concern

Post by Hemperor »

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=41736

Now, as I've stated before, and many others know, these macros are NOTHING new. Having it hashed out line for line maybe is, but it's relatively simple stuff.

I can remember coming to Derrick 4 years ago now about a scroll selling pandemic, at the time some changes were put in place, and I've lost track since then... But you could make the same amount of money back then.

Anyways, as it stands now, we are aligning more and more with OSI everyday in the sense of inflation. There are far too many millions out there and I suspect the vast majority are accumulated through lame means such as the above.

Simple questions, do we/can we do anything about this? Or do we let gold inflation shoot through the roof (for the rest of this server's life)? The problem with this is that gold will actually lose a ton of value in the player market, yet maintain a forced value through NPC goods.

Is this even an issue?

This really does bother me, I do like to PVP, but I feel things like this truly ruin the rest of the UO experience.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Simple Concern

Post by chumbucket »

I doubt very many people will adopt this. It is time consuming and complicated.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

chumbucket wrote:I doubt very many people will adopt this. It is time consuming and complicated.
It's really not... I've seen it done a half dozen times before, Telamon's way specifically may be over the top, but the fact of the matter is any single UOSA player can exploit (IMO) this selling with zero skill and zero risk.

What to do about it? I don't know.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Let's have a CUB where the only thing you can turn in are house deeds.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Negotiate features with razor.

Wipe Server.

Alter NPC Prices.

That's about the only things that I can think of that would have any effect. I don't really think there is a huge problem with people selling scrolls or other items though. Sure, that sort of behavior can inflate the economy, but let's face it, it's been pretty darn inflated for a long time now. But that's due to the (comparatively) low population playing in a world made for a high one.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I really dont see this as a problem at all.

Keg's and Reg's have remained the same price since I started playing here.

Invis/Teleport/Reflection items have not moved in price.

Daily Rares are fairly stable, but do fluctuate depending on how many are being sold at one time.

The only thing that ever really changes prices are the super high end neon crap that you cant get anymore. And this is such a limited market that 99% of the shard has nothing to do with it.

Also, housing prices have remained about the same since i've been palying.

As I said before in the thread linked in the OP. This can only really be done to such a degree before it becomes flooded and completely useless.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Negotiate features with razor.

Wipe Server.

Alter NPC Prices.

That's about the only things that I can think of that would have any effect. I don't really think there is a huge problem with people selling scrolls or other items though. Sure, that sort of behavior can inflate the economy, but let's face it, it's been pretty darn inflated for a long time now. But that's due to the (comparatively) low population playing in a world made for a high one.
It's actually an inherent issue with UO. There is too much "something out of nothing" that is part of the game, so inflation is inevitable, but I think we've been going at it at a fast rate.

I don't want to be specific to Telamon's post, the reality is there are millions to be made here from selling npcs at zero risk, sure it was always sort of a 'secret' but if 10x more people started doing this (and that might be inevitable in of itself) then we are really only speeding up the process.

I hate to jump on the "I QUIT" bandwagon, and that's not what I'm saying, but how many of you would join an accurate T2A server that has multi millions being traded simply for neon hair dye? It's detrimental to the server and I can only imagine that in 3-5 years there will be nothing to do here other than PVP and the other screw around stuff, economy will be completely shot.

I went to place a small today and laughed at the amount of keeps and castles everywhere. I know this is inevitable as well, but I don't think it's a secret that most of these weren't acquired through farming. There is a handful of farming spots on this server that put out decent gold, and they are generally empty.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Rose, housing prices most certainly aren't the same.

Telamon is a great example. Let's look at all the real estate monopolies on this shard and how they were attained. It's an issue.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I dont know man... I've not seen any drastic changes int he price of housing.

If anything, bricks and patios went up in price because of the recent LOS issue, but that's it.

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Simple suggestion:

Do what Dupre did on his Hair Styling day and setup a vendor that offers Silver items for gold. Make a furniture dye tub w/ 10 charges 3mill, 20 charges 5mill. More name change deeds at 500k. Level 3 rares at 1mill...ect.

This is a great gold sink and can suck up a lot. The main point is there are very few players that actually have a TON of gold and most of them that do save it only to buy big items or just dont use it. Anyone can farm for a week or so and buy regs and potions and hallys and pvp all day long so what is the point of having a ton of gold? To buy large rare items. So as far as it effecting the community negativley I would have to disagree. I would still like to see the gold sink vendor still though. =)

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Hemperor wrote:Rose, housing prices most certainly aren't the same.

Telamon is a great example. Let's look at all the real estate monopolies on this shard and how they were attained. It's an issue.
Low-end housing is perhaps a bit more expensive, but that's entirely a function of the space being taken. Has nothing to do with the amount of gold in circulation.

Castles, for example, have gotten cheaper since 2009.

Rose is right - there are a handful of people who have a need for millions and millions of gp's, and thankfully they are only interested in acquiring things that cost millions and millions of gp's, which 98% of the shard has no interest or chance of acquiring. So the price of bulk regs, vanq weapons, and the like, have not really risen in price.

As long as you're not into rare-hunting, or owning one of about 10 specific houses on the map, you literally couldn't spend 5 million gp if you tried.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I sort of agree with Robbb, as much as I despise these types of NEA things. I mean, the majority of the silver collectors pay gold for it anyway.

and Hemperor, I don't think that scroll thing is really a secret. People have been crafting/selling things for years. It's just a razor macro for it. Big deal.

Rose is also correct, the cost of consumable items has remained relatively stagnant. If anything, the cost of craftables and other misc. consumables has decreased. Look at the cost of GM made items 3 years ago, vs. their cost now. There is no good profit to be had in selling most things that are player-made to players.

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

My care level about this is just enough to get me to type up this post.

I'm one of that 98% of players that really has little need for millions upon millions of gold. I don't give a crap about neon anything, rare this, unique that. Do I really need to run around in the same copy/paste "cool dude PvPer" outfit to up my WBB peacock cred? Nope. My purpose for gold is to buy consumables and even my lazy self can make enough gold in a week to cover that small cost. The bard I have is all the gold making power I need.

We all know that having access to 3 accounts and 15 characters opens the door to complete self sufficiency, so having to enter the "inflated" market at all is completely optional. This isn't OSI T2A where players were slightly more dependent on the player run portion of the economy.

I'll also agree that the inflated prices of neon dork masks or prime real estate isn't really that big of a deal. The rares collectors can inflate the cost of their uber-pixels to the point where things cost 100mil, and the net effect on my game play would be between zero and nil. So I say let them dig that hole for themselves if they wish to do so.
Last edited by Vhyx on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Vhyx wrote:My care level about this is just enough to get me to type up this post.

I'm one of that 98% of players that really has little need for millions upon millions of gold. I don't give a crap about neon anything, rare this, unique that. Do I really need to run around in the same copy/paste "cool dude PvPer" outfit to up my WBB peacock cred? Nope. My purpose for gold is to buy consumables and even my lazy self can make enough gold in a week to cover that small cost. The bard I have is all the gold making power I need.

We all know that having access to 3 accounts and 15 characters opens the door to complete self sufficiency, so having to enter the "inflated" market at all is completely optional. This isn't OSI T2A where players were more slightly more dependent on the player run portion of the economy.

I'll also agree that the inflated prices of neon dork masks or prime real estate isn't really that big of a deal. The rares collectors can inflate the cost of their uber-pixels to the point where things cost 100mil, and the net effect on my game play would be between zero and nil. So I say let them dig that hole for themselves if they wish to do so.
How dare you minimize the importance of neon trammel!!! :roll:
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Jason-

Post by Jason- »

Hemperor wrote:
chumbucket wrote:I doubt very many people will adopt this. It is time consuming and complicated.
It's really not... I've seen it done a half dozen times before, Telamon's way specifically may be over the top, but the fact of the matter is any single UOSA player can exploit (IMO) this selling with zero skill and zero risk.

What to do about it? I don't know.
This shard consistently over the course of all threads use the term "risk" incorrectly.