TRADE SCAMMER - IRC NAME "digitaldemon"

Topics related to Second Age
songbird

TRADE SCAMMER - IRC NAME "digitaldemon"

Post by songbird »

Well, it's time for me to quit this shard. Thanks to "Rimon" (digitaldemon) trade scamming me for both of my christmas trophies

Here's how the scam works:

1: put deeds in a pouch
2: put pouch in trade
3: the person doesn't get the pouch
4: you get the items they put in the trade window

that or he's a thief with a last target macro and this should be even more bannable, either way it's bullshit and should not be allowed

Congratulations on decreasing the server's population by 1. Fuck you, scumbag.
Attachments
loot.jpg
loot.jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
loot gone.jpg
loot gone.jpg (79.62 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Re: TRADE SCAMMER - IRC NAME "digitaldemon"

Post by Braden »

Why would you put the deed in a bag before putting it in the trade window? You should not have done that. I don't think there is anyone in UO who hasn't been scammed before. Best to just learn from your mistake and not repeat it.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

songbird

Post by songbird »

I didn't put a deed in a bag

Edit: i'll explain more thoroughly

he put a pouch in the trade window with 2 patio deeds and 1 gold coin. i put my 2 statues. he clicked trade. i clicked trade. it IMMEDIATELY said "that is not accessible" and i didn't ever even receive the pouch, but he got my 2 statues.

sounds like it should be bannable to me.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It sounds as if he stole the pouch with the deeds inside them from you. For future reference, both to you and anyone else who might be in a similar situation, house deeds are newbied, which means they cannot be stolen from you if they are in the top layer of your backpack. However, they may be stolen from you if the deeds themselves are inside a container, which itself can be stolen. So, if anyone decides to trade with you by placing newbie items inside a pouch, be wary of that behavior for this very reason.

Unfortunately, we will not be taking any action against this play style, as this was a legitimate method of play during the era.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

songbird

Post by songbird »

So the pouch never even entering my inventory is era accurate. Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. If someone offers to buy something on the official IRC that is promoted by your website, it should be no different than if they posted on the forums. It should be backed and have a penalty for those who scam.

Not like you care about your player base, as shown in the previous reagent patch. The only options left for new players here are AFK gathering resources or "reagent farming" which is considered legal. Logic. It was a fun couple of months here, had a great run.
Last edited by Kaivan on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language.

H2os
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by H2os »

He prob put both deeds in an overweight bag so it dropped from you as soon as you accepted then picked up bag at your feet. Could of hidden something under a deed.

Someone posted something similar the other day. I was unaware of it till I read that one so I will be on the look out to never accept trade if something in a bag.

Tyrese Jackson

Post by Tyrese Jackson »

Here is what i think happened. In the pouch was the 2 deeds and hidden under the 2 deeds were 123gp all individually separated in stacks of 1gp. So, if you had anything else in your bag when you clicked the trade button the pouch would fall to your feet on the floor and he grabbed the bag back with the 2 deeds and 123gp in it.

My brother said he saw someone pulling this scam at the brit bank the other day so i am assuming this is what happened to you.

No need to quit over it, like Braden said it being a victim of a scam happens to everyone at some point and best thing to do is learn from your mistake and move on. If it makes you feel better I stole 4k off this guy earlier today.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

songbird wrote:So the pouch never even entering my inventory is era accurate. Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. If someone offers to buy something on the official IRC that is promoted by your website, it should be no different than if they posted on the forums. It should be backed and have a penalty for those who scam.

Not like you care about your player base, as shown in the previous reagent patch. The only options left for new players here are AFK gathering resources or "reagent farming" which is considered legal. Logic. It was a fun couple of months here, had a great run.
It's also possible that the item limit for the bag exceeded your ability to carry the pouch. This is also accurate to the era.

Beyond that, can you provide any specific information showing that you were contacted about the trade directly through the #secondage channel?

Edit: By "directly contacted", I mean a conversation about the trade that took place directly in the #secondage channel.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Welcome to UO...
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Yeah. Sorry to hear, but #1 rule is to never put anything newbied in a bag.

A "last item" steal of the bag would be immediate as well. (or as others have said, a bag weighing more than 400 stones or having 120+items in it).

Look at it this way. You didnt lose anything as those troophys were gifts...

I know it still sucks though...

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

Congratulations on decreasing the server's population by 1. Fuck you, scumbag.[/quote]

I lol'ed when I saw the latter part of this.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

A few ways this scam could have happened easily enough.

My question is why he got a "that is not accessible" message at all. Seems a bit misplaced for a normal trade-fail or theft assuming it happened immediately after the accept as stated.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

It's best not to deal with many people on the server, or through vendors at the very least. I used to deal with Yomega, never really trusted him, but used a vendor instead since it was dummy proof.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Few months old, complaining about getting scammed out of freebies they were selling anyway.
Not really trying to be offensive, more than normal, but really, you got half a mil worth of handouts for doing absolutely nothing.

The 'scam' was pretty basic and more expensive, harder earned, lessons have been learned in UO.

Best of luck out there Christmas Newbs.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

orevamp

Post by orevamp »

Yea that sucks man, but i cant help looking at your journal picture sitting on 700k worth of regs running your mouth about a patch that clearly hasnt affected you at all. And further more im sick of newbs acting like they are so important to the shard that they threaten to leave if shard daddy doesnt give them money or restitution. Take your butt back to trammel if you cant handle the era. WE have all lost tons of money whether fault of our own or by the hands of another suck it up care bear. (I apologize if I have offended with my thoughts)