Item: Torch

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Blaine the Gypsy

Item: Torch

Post by Blaine the Gypsy »

At some point I don't know exactly which era it was a torch could be used as a parry item. I do remember training it with a torch at some point but eh the memory is clouded.
UOSA: Village of Paws - Gypsy Tribe of Spirituality - "Ignavus"
UO: LS guilds [Red] [Rx2] [OMEN] HC member/co-creator
Drach wGt Gypsy Village

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Item: Torch

Post by Kaivan »

If this was ever possible, it was likely during the earliest days of UO. In order for an item to be treated as a weapon or armor, it requires that the item be defined as a weapon or armor in some sort of template file that holds the item parameters for when an item of that type is created. Torches don't have a definition in the demo, nor can I find any information suggesting they could be used for parry. On the other hand, the fishing pole (the item that probably spurred this thought), is defined as a shield in the demo, which allows it to be equipped and used to parry hits, although it can't absorb any damage.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

The second parrying essay on Stratics mentions torches being used for parry. It isn't dated but does mention the alpha as well as smiths being unable to create exceptional quality shields at the time of writing. http://uo.stratics.com/content/guides/parryessay.shtml

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The information from that guide seems awfully unusual. A lot of the information is correct when correlated with other information, however some information seems completely out of place. One example is exceptional shields, which can be easily created and is a confirmed function in the demo. The same is true with torches, which do not give you any parry skill in the demo.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

i do know at one time you could have two items in same hand (least it looked that way on paperdoll) but this always had to be an item paired with fishing pole. but as to the time frame no idea.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I remember gaining parry skill using a candle. I know specifically for my case, it was super-early on, before they themed the dungeons. I remember getting to 80+ parry when it was "damn near impossible to raise" by using a candle and fighting a bunch of ratman and lizardman in Covetous. I don't know when they might have updated it though.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I too used a candle to gain parry, but it was well before T2A I am certain.

I do think that you might have been able to hold two items in one hand. Like, a fishing pole AND a sword. Not two weapons though.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I do think that you might have been able to hold two items in one hand. Like, a fishing pole AND a sword.
I remember this was the case for both pre-T2A and post T2A. During UO:R I had a blessed vanq katana which was really hard to see (on your avatar, not the Paperdoll) if you equipped a fishing pole as well.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins