Using lock down items.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Using lock down items.

Post by Kaivan »

FishinPro wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
FishinPro wrote:
Kaivan wrote:That is one of the issues to be fixed with a housing patch. There should be no way to lock down an item on the steps for any reason. That is a direct violation of the mechanics.

Everyone better lock your keys down now and setup your secure containers before the ERA Accurate Nazi gets you!!!
What, exactly, do you expect of a server that aims to replicate the era to do? Locking down items on steps wasn't possible until UOR.

The statement stems from many things such as not being able to teleport next to a house...where did THIS come from??

Where is the proof for not being able to recall into the air?? How do these patches take place with no explanation, and then when asked for proof it is ignored??

This is because the ERA Accurate Nazi does what he wants...
We've confirmed that both on the demo and on live OSI servers it is not possible to teleport near a house or boat. This confirms a very specific piece of code in the teleport script that checks for any multiobject and prevents a player from teleporting near it. As for marking runes in the air, I have not had the opportunity to speak with Derrick about it. To my knowledge, it was possible to do during the era, and it is certainly possible to do on the demo.

Finally, please keep a reasonable tone when discussing these things. Attempting to insult others does not suit your position well.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Kaivan wrote: We've confirmed that both on the demo and on live OSI servers it is not possible to teleport near a house or boat. This confirms a very specific piece of code in the teleport script that checks for any multiobject and prevents a player from teleporting near it. As for marking runes in the air, I have not had the opportunity to speak with Derrick about it. To my knowledge, it was possible to do during the era, and it is certainly possible to do on the demo.

Finally, please keep a reasonable tone when discussing these things. Attempting to insult others does not suit your position well.

I just like to mess with you, no hard feelings :P

So your basing your 'evidence' for not being able to teleport like this in Nov. 1999 on an old 1998 demo and a 2013 live shard? I have done many hours of research on the google forums and not ONCE does this ever come up. Do you honestly think that if new players couldnt teleport next to or close to a house that not ONE person would ask this on the boards??? THAT is stronger evidence than your old demo and 13 years in the future OSI shard...

There is also evidence of a bug where you could teleport through castle walls in late 98 or early 99, I do not remember which, so this throws your 'evidence' completely out of the window sir...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

8/13/98 https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... g1EDQYGaoJ
There is supposedly some exploit going around where you can teleport
into the windows of housing.
Again, I never confirmed or tried it....just rumors.....
Good Luck !!

-=BuBa Dragon=- wrote in message
If it wasnt possible to teleport AROUND the house, what would make you able to telport INTO the house? Even if this wasnt possible to do as this guy states, dont you think he would have said what I just said?? "How can the bug let you teleport into the house when you arent even aloud to teleport by houses??"

YET, nobody says anything about this......
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

So, the argument is that a rumor, only 3 months out from the demo, about teleporting into houses through the window (which, by the way, fails for an entirely different reason) is the justification for it being possible during the era? I'm sure you can see how silly that sounds.

In order for evidence from newsgroup posts to be more credible than the actual observed mechanics, there must be a lot of evidence to that effect, and the evidence must point to a consistent behavior. This post is neither.

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

Yeah, I'm going to say this not only fails the "era accuracy" research check but it's the first I've heard of this and you have to think it would have been fixed in the 1+ years this was reported and our target date.

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

In regards to being secure, someone standing next to them
(logs/ingots/regs) can use another item (such as a tinker tool,
mortor and pestle, carpenter's tool, etc) and get a crosshair for
which raw material to use; click on the (locked down) raw material,
and I believe it will use it anyway. :)
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... -8GC3Q4e4J

Check the whole thread....

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

FishinPro wrote:
In regards to being secure, someone standing next to them
(logs/ingots/regs) can use another item (such as a tinker tool,
mortor and pestle, carpenter's tool, etc) and get a crosshair for
which raw material to use; click on the (locked down) raw material,
and I believe it will use it anyway. :)
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... -8GC3Q4e4J

Check the whole thread....
tbh it sounded like prior to this patch (before 2/3/99), it was possible to lock down ingots using a house key. housing was very unsecure then since if anyone got your house key, you were screwed and said person could unlock everything in your house.

after the patch, secures and voice commands were added and likely the ability to lock down stacks was removed. i quote, from your link:
I can still lock
down chests, runes, furniture, weapons, etc, but not
logs/ingots/ribs?
The idea was to give people with houses 400 stones of locked down
storage in a secure chest. This was done as a measure to make houses
less secure: Remember you have to space housing now so you can't block a
tower entrance & the tent-b-gone patch.
This was done to get rid of some problems with lag & the huge data base
requirements/long & bloated back up.

Not as a method where people could lock down say 7,000 of each reagent
on the floor to get secure storage beyond the 400 stone limit.

Grin & bear it, it makes the game a little better for everyone but the
hoarders.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Bulk lock downs came with our cut of patch that Kaivan said, what you did to steal locked down ingots and other materials was that you had to have 1 of the material in your backpack and then you could just craft with the locked down materials.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Recall that we're not using the phase 2 lock down system. Our cutoff includes everything up to and including the November 23, 1999 patch, except for phase 2 housing, which was designed as a temporary system as they transitioned from the old housing system to the new housing system.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Then the bulk stacks shouldnt be able to be lock downd, witch includes the keyring sins it 2 items or more in it!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, key rings aren't actually multiple items. They maintain a list of keys that have been placed on them, and the items that they unlock, but there is just one key ring.

Edit: Think about it like a backpack. You can lock down a backpack, because the backpack itself is a single item, despite the fact that you can put items in it. It just operates differently than a key ring does, but it has the same structure.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Well you couldnt lock them down witch matron already proved.

Also will you still be able to lock down bulk items since its not era acc?

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

if its like a backpack then you should be able to use it since only the backpack will be locked down and not the contents aka the key.

Its like with the kegs you could empty them since only the keg was locked down.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Ulfrigg wrote:Well you couldnt lock them down witch matron already proved.

Also will you still be able to lock down bulk items since its not era acc?
I have not seen any evidence provided by Matron that suggests that you cannot lock down a key ring. Matron did participate in a discussion and asked whether we should or shouldn't be able to use a key that was on the ground, which is not possible to do.
Ulfrigg wrote:if its like a backpack then you should be able to use it since only the backpack will be locked down and not the contents aka the key.

Its like with the kegs you could empty them since only the keg was locked down.
As I said earlier in the thread, I agree with the fact that any item should be usable if it is locked down, unless special mechanics on the item require you to have the item in your backpack or have it equipped to use it.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Kaivan wrote: As I said earlier in the thread, I agree with the fact that any item should be usable if it is locked down, unless special mechanics on the item require you to have the item in your backpack or have it equipped to use it.
This was my point. Also, nobody was using magical locked down keys in any fashion (be them on rings or off, in chests, or floating over the door somehow..) to enter their homes. That was my main concern.