Silver

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
ildbjoernen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Silver

Post by ildbjoernen »

I have played this server for around 1 year now. I have noticed that it is extremely difficult to obtain silver (only through X-mas present). I believe it must have been different at some point, since there are some people with *****loads of "silver items" (potted trees etc.)

Is it possible, and could it be a good idea, to make 1 silver drop as loot from certain monsters (not neccesarily top end monsters). The chance should of course be extremely small, but still... It would give us "new" players a chance to decorate our homes, and get more "status"/props" by e.g. wearing unique items.

Let your voice be heard.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Silver

Post by fooka03 »

The less silver there is the better. It only serves to artificially inflate the economy. Imo there's plenty of deco on the server as is, just spend the gold to obtain the items you care about.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

okgoace

Post by okgoace »

I made 20k in 35 minutes with my bard last night, i started a week ago. Farm gold , buy silver. I dont see a need for more silver.

Faust

Post by Faust »

fooka03 wrote:The less silver there is the better. It only serves to artificially inflate the economy. Imo there's plenty of deco on the server as is, just spend the gold to obtain the items you care about.
Silver does not add gold into the economy making the statement that it influences inflation false.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

Faust wrote:
Silver does not add gold into the economy making the statement that it influences inflation false.

By that logic ingots, boards, and mibs don't add gold to the economy... Silver is a tangible in game item that does not sink gold from the game. Therefore it adds "value" which can be exchanged for gold exactly like the other resources I mentioned above.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

fooka03 wrote:By that logic ingots, boards, and mibs don't add gold to the economy...
They don't, unless sold to NPCs (which would be retarded). Or in the case of MIBs, they must be completed. Which is no different from farming gold from monsters.
Silver is a tangible in game item that does not sink gold from the game. Therefore it adds "value" which can be exchanged for gold exactly like the other resources I mentioned above.
not sure you know what inflation means. adding more silver into circulation does not inflate the prices of anything. all it does is decrease the price of silver, making silver rewards more obtainable.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

ildbjoernen wrote:I have played this server for around 1 year now. I have noticed that it is extremely difficult to obtain silver (only through X-mas present). I believe it must have been different at some point, since there are some people with *****loads of "silver items" (potted trees etc.)

Is it possible, and could it be a good idea, to make 1 silver drop as loot from certain monsters (not neccesarily top end monsters). The chance should of course be extremely small, but still... It would give us "new" players a chance to decorate our homes, and get more "status"/props" by e.g. wearing unique items.

Let your voice be heard.
Agree...imo it is getting harder and harder for this server to draw newer blood. There is a HUGE issue with "the haves" (people with GF items, tons of silver from automated events, etc) and the "have-nots" (people with the most recent xmas gifts though "the haves" probably got something better due to age of acct).

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

"Haves" get the same as "have nots" at christmas.

And this has always been a reality. It was back on OSI, as it is here.

...and yet, you find stories of "have nots" who become "haves" through dedication and cunning.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

nightshark wrote:not sure you know what inflation means. adding more silver into circulation does not inflate the prices of anything. all it does is decrease the price of silver, making silver rewards more obtainable.
I am well aware of what inflation is especially as it pertains to UO (I played great lakes and atlantic ffs). Anytime you add something to the environment that isn't there normally you negatively influence inflation. While the price of silver may fall as an initial response, overall there are more items of monetary value (it is fair to call silver, ingots, wood, leather, cloth forms of currency that are "exchanged" for gold as a standard). Here is a good quote about this aspect of inflation:
Economists generally agree that high rates of inflation and hyperinflation are caused by an excessive growth of the money supply.
That comes from this book if anyone cares to check my source (yay college electives)

There are of course lots of other drivers in inflation (reduced supply, increased demand to name a couple) but when it comes to UO basically what happens is there is a dropoff of supply in housing, and a very large pool of "unspendable" income so the overall "value" of gold drops to almost nothing (anyone want to give me a couple castle deeds for my small?)

In conclusion, do I believe adding a little silver will cause the same level of inflation as GL or Atlantic? No. However, it can cause some impact which combined with other factors could accelerate an economy collapse. Since there is no gameplay benefit to silver, and it's ultimately NEA, I would prefer to see the supply continue to be limited rather that expanded. If we seriously feel the need to continue to offer some of these items to the server population, I would prefer it to cost gold and resources rather than silver.

The OP asked for us to voice our opinions, so I did and explained why. Doesn't really make me right or wrong but expect me to defend my opinion if you attack it.

I am a have not in case that matters to anyone.
Last edited by fooka03 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

Faust

Post by Faust »

Silver does not inflate the gold supply because it does not create new gold into the world.

Simple as that really.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

Faust wrote:Silver does not inflate the gold supply because it does not create new gold into the world.

Simple as that really.
You are literally correct. Doesn't mean silver lacks inflationary effects.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Depends on what?

More silver does not raise the price of regs or ingots. So, what does it raise the price of anyway?
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

It doesn't ><
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

Pirul wrote:"Haves" get the same as "have nots" at christmas.

And this has always been a reality. It was back on OSI, as it is here.

...and yet, you find stories of "have nots" who become "haves" through dedication and cunning.
Ok sorry, "anniversary gifts". Also of course you have "have nots" become "haves", this doesn't change the fact that 1 month of dedicated play 4 years ago >>>>>> 1 month of dedicated play today.

If one were to run events back in the day even casually, bank their silver and sign in today...they now have an abundance of wealth due to the silver change.

I find changes to GF items/silver give outs and their removal to not even be an accuracy argument, it's much more of a political thing (as in certain people's views on things) that comes from playing on a larger server