No Pointer to setup character

huntertb1

No Pointer to setup character

Post by huntertb1 »

I installed the client and patch, razor and .net framework. All works great, except.....

It goes to login screen with no pointer, I created an account using tab key, no problem there. But now, I can not create a character without a pointer.

I am running Windows XP SP 2. Pentium 4 dual core 3.06; 500 MB ddr ram; nvidia 7600 GT video card.

Ironically my sons computer does the same thing!

I am trying to install it on my WindowsXP X64 computer (as that is my main computer) but the patch won't install, it just gets "stuck".

Any ideas how to get a pointer back for these 2 pc's?

I apologize if this has been asked already, I did a search on here and found nothing.

On a side note, I fumbled through creating a character and the screen is black. I see blue names of npc's but thats it. I have reinstalled on both machines 3 times each and same effect. any thoughts?

huntertb1

Re: No Pointer to setup character

Post by huntertb1 »

Ok, apparantly when I downloaded the client and patch, the client was corrupt? I installed off my second age disk ( just found it) and ran patch all is well. trying on sons pc now. wish I could run patch on xp X64 pc. any ideas why it stops responding on that rig?

update: Works great on my sons pc too with my disk. must have been the client I downloaded.
Last edited by huntertb1 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I've heard of it not responding but I think it does eventually finish. If you end task on it, it'll certainly corrupt your files.

The patch is based off the T2A cd, but I'l not sure all of those are the same. Mine has 1051107 under the origin logo.

huntertb1

Post by huntertb1 »

Mine is 1051120 under the origin logo.

I thought it might finish if I gave it enough time so I went to bed and got up 6 hours later and it was still at the same spot.

Maybe I'll try it again later. I got it working on my test box and that's cool for now, I just didn't have speakers connected to that machine is all. It's also a slower machine, not that it matters playing UO but still.

I did end the task also, I will uninstall it and reinstall before I try it again.

Thanks for the response.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Oh, the problem on x64 machine may be trying to run it in the "Program Files" folder.

Move the Uo Installation from "Program Files" to "Program Files(x86)"
Then, copy the Patcher right into the installed folder (so it can find the installation) and run it from there.

huntertb1

Post by huntertb1 »

I actually installed it to a different directory altogether. I have a game directory for all of my games.

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

When I downloaded the Client, installed it and tried to run the patch, it actually patched at the unpack location for the installer... Reason for this was that the patch alphabetically went through the directories searching for UO, and that the unpacked installer directory was first in alphabetical order. So every time I tried to patch the game it'd patch the unpacked installer directory. I solved this by deleting all the unpacked files except for the patch itself, and that way when it did the search, it'd find the actual installation directory (where I installed UO) and finally patch the game. So iunno, maybe that has something do do with et.

huntertb1

Post by huntertb1 »

GOT IT! LOL.

I just ran the patcher in compatability mode for 98/ME and it went through fine. Funny thing is, it didn't work under WindowsXP compatabilty. Oh well, it works now.

Thank You so much for the replies people. they got me in the right direction.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Great to hear. Welcome to Second Age!