bring em back

Topics related to Second Age
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: bring em back

Post by Kaivan »

DKS wrote:If this is true:

Why can we not recall into water and into the air? This was removed for...?
It was Derrick's contention that this was not possible during the era, although I have not seen any evidence that says it wasn't possible, and it is possible on the demo. I don't believe things should work as they currently do, given the evidence we currently have. Of course, there are other things that shouldn't be possible such as climbing foot stools (it was never possible during the era), or stacking things in the way that we currently do (there was a max stack height from a valid floor tile of 12 z during the era). Needless to say, there were things that shouldn't be that can be done here, and vice versa, at the moment.
DKS wrote:Why can we not teleport next to homes? This was changed to prevent breaking into castle CY's and is not era accurate.
Incorrect:
11/5/97 patch notes wrote:Teleporting too close to houses and ships is now impossible.
And yes, I'm aware of the post from January of 98 detailing the castle breakin method, which is after the patch date. His information was old information, and the patch note is backed up by the demo, and by live servers as of 2013.

Also, Robbbb, please stop making dummy accounts. Your last one that was dedicated to trash talking was restricted to posting only in that forum for a reason. If you'd like to participate in this discussion, please do so with good faith, and on your actual account.
Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Kaivan wrote: Also, if I read your suggestion correctly, I'm guessing that you're asking for a flag to prevent players from targeting tiles related to a house. If we take that course of action, then we prevent players from targeting spells in houses at all, or at least prevent players from targeting explosion potions in houses at all. Whether this is or isn't your proposed solution, it highlights the problem with just "fixing" the problem. A quick fix like this takes away valid uses of an item in an attempt to fix something else. The "fix" broke a normal mechanic in place of preventing odd behavior, which is a far worse result.
I suggested that we try something and test said adjustment. I did not suggest a "quick fix" like you are implying.
I was pointing out that such a test, which is a quick fix by directly restricting the ability to target house tiles, is a bad fix, and exemplifies the problem that I'm talking about regarding messing around with the mechanics. Also, the quotes that I've provided from Derrick clearly show that he's intent on replicating the entire mechanic when possible, and in this case we have access to the actual LoS code.
Boomland Jenkins wrote:As for your Derrick quotes, we can play this game all day but it's quite simple. Derrick has changed his viewpoint on how specific he'd like UOSA to be. In fact, just the other day, I had found this one:
Derrick wrote:100% mechanically, with the possible exception of off map game type events
(just my vote)
Yes, he's changed is position on events with time (that post is from 2009), but his position regarding mechanical accuracy has remained consistent throughout time. In fact, your post which pre-dates any of the ones I provided is consistent with that position, and is no different than the front page statement of the website, in 2007. Dating back as far as 3 days after the server was opened, the intent for mechanical accuracy was clear. The only thing that's changed is the position on events (of the automated variety, not even the ones we have now, which he has no stated opinion on).

Overall, I don't see how that quote does anything to defend the position that Derrick didn't want to get as close to mechanically accurate as possible, it goes against that position.
Brules wrote:And again, more examples of arguing with Kaivan is equal to beating your head against the wall.

I am on Booms side - we need community over mechanical accuracy. Kaivan has had his way since Derrick went AWOL and look at our server #'s.......this place is dying for a reason, and most of those reasons can be laid at the feet of Kaivan going over the top for accuracy.

We are maxing out at 132 CLIENTS a day......

As long as Kaivan is around and in a position of power, this place will continue to die a slow terrible death.
You do realize that virtually nothing has changed short of a few small patches since well before our population numbers have dropped, right? Automated events were removed in 2011, Derrick distanced himself from the server in 2014. LoS went in in 2010, Derrick distanced himself in 2014. How can any of the population decline be linked to me going "over the top" with accuracy. Nothing has actually changed to reflect that.

So, with that in mind, I'm going to make this very clear. If you want to be critical of my opinions fine, do so. But do not blame me for things that I haven't done; I'm tired of being attacked without something concrete to criticize. This is the last warning on the subject, and yes that is exactly what it sounds like.

Anyway, I have to step out for a prior engagement, so don't wait for me to continue the discussion. But let's just try to understand that Derrick's position has been very clear on mechanical accuracy, bugs and all.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Kaivan wrote:Nothing has actually changed to reflect that
Couldn't it be that the decline could be in part that nothing has changed? Not directing this at you specifically, but the same time period over which things have declined has also been the greatest period of inactivity development-wise (code and otherwise) in the history of the server, no?

viewforum.php?f=7

We had 143 patches through 2011, and 10 from 2011 on. I'd considered it's because things are getting closer to accurate, but I think the case has been made in this and many other threads that there are still plenty of things incorrect that need to be fixed.

Just to reiterate, this isn't meant to be an attack on you Kaivan or staff or the staff's productivity as a whole, but I think that era accurate fix development and a companion system development spurs game activity, if not fixing out-of-map events.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

bigbob

Post by bigbob »

#boomland/elkeater2016

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

Elk Eater wrote:
Kaivan wrote:Nothing has actually changed to reflect that
Couldn't it be that the decline could be in part that nothing has changed? Not directing this at you specifically, but the same time period over which things have declined has also been the greatest period of inactivity development-wise (code and otherwise) in the history of the server, no?

viewforum.php?f=7

We had 143 patches through 2011, and 10 from 2011 on. I'd considered it's because things are getting closer to accurate, but I think the case has been made in this and many other threads that there are still plenty of things incorrect that need to be fixed.

Just to reiterate, this isn't meant to be an attack on you Kaivan or staff or the staff's productivity as a whole, but I think that era accurate fix development and a companion system development spurs game activity, if not fixing out-of-map events.
Also, treysta, please stop making dummy accounts.

All jokes aside:
Kaivan wrote:Also, Robbbb, please stop making dummy accounts.
Not a huge deal, but I want to make it known that I object to using admin powers to publicly oust people via IP. I can't see how you could possibly think that's okay to do regardless of the circumstances. I've not been here long, but I've been informed by numerous people that Derrick believed strongly in privacy--something I value highly as well.
^

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Treysta wrote:
All jokes aside:
Kaivan wrote:Also, Robbbb, please stop making dummy accounts.
Not a huge deal, but I want to make it known that I object to using admin powers to publicly oust people via IP. I can't see how you could possibly think that's okay to do regardless of the circumstances. I've not been here long, but I've been informed by numerous people that Derrick believed strongly in privacy--something I value highly as well.
Exceptions have been made in the past for egregious or repeat offenders. In this case Robb is skirting a trash talk restriction through a third (or Xth) account on the forums. I guess Kaivan could have banned all of Robbs accounts from the forums, but I bet he'd prefer this milder slap on the wrist.

Admins don't discuss player bans either, but when Cavewight came on the forums and lied about it Derrick posted the real reason for the bans.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Players that abuse the forums should be identified, Robbb isn't roleplaying or something, everyone just hates him and he hides behind a forum alt.

Don't want your forum alts exposed? Stop shitposting.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

I'm not defending Robbb. I'm defending privacy. There is a very important and distinct difference. I've made my objection known and I'll leave it at that.

If anybody would like to discuss my opinion with me further, feel free to drop me a PM or start a new thread and we can chat about it, but there's no point in cluttering up this thread.

Thanks.
^

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

The events are fun, but sometimes the players can be jerks.

I would just say that a little prior notice or a proper scheduling of events would be nice.

As opposed to..... SURPRISE! Potion wars! :lol:

It's like hurry up, ditch your mare...... Omg I forgot to put my contacts in.... I'm blind.

Oh well, let's do this. Oh god I can't see, is that the bag ball?

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Taboo wrote:The events are fun, but sometimes the players can be jerks.

I would just say that a little prior notice or a proper scheduling of events would be nice.

It's like hurry up, ditch your mare...... Omg I forgot to put my contacts in.... I'm blind.

You heard it here first, Taboo blaming losing at bagball on "not having his contacts in."

DKS

Post by DKS »

Soma wrote:Players that abuse the forums should be identified, Robbb isn't roleplaying...

That's the opposite of the truth

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

DKS wrote:
Soma wrote:Players that abuse the forums should be identified, Robbb isn't roleplaying...

Would you have rather had a full IP/all forum accounts ban instead? Boomland said instead of outing you, you should have just gotten a full forums ban. If it were me, I'd rather be outted but still have access to the forums, but I'm curious what you'd prefer.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Elk Eater wrote:

You heard it here first, Taboo blaming losing at bagball on "not having his contacts in."

Trolling again? You're trolling..... Hmm, everyone in this thread as I read it.

Vega stop using multiple forum accounts, it's getting ridiculous. :lol:

And also I'm pretty good at bag ball tyvm. I even just uofiddled bags in my mul file thanks to my not having contacts in or glasses anywhere to be found.

I log in to win, but I don't btch when I don't. I learn.

Troll on.

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Taboo wrote:
Elk Eater wrote:

And also I'm pretty good at bag ball tyvm. I even just uofiddled bags in my mul file thanks to my not having contacts in or glasses anywhere to be found.

Troll on.
Nobody cares.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

Elk Eater wrote:
Taboo wrote:
Elk Eater wrote:

Troll on.
Nobody cares.
Actually no body cares what you have to say, since we all know what the theme is going to be: antagonistic.

At least with the gms you feigned respect but clearly you are a pretty unhappy person.

Maybe you should take a uo break instead of trying to insult every person on the shard.

Just a thought.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

DKS wrote:

Sorry, Robbb is role playing as a retard.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.