New and a question about second age server health...

Topics related to Second Age
Vorn

New and a question about second age server health...

Post by Vorn »

I started playin UO when it launched many years ago, I ended up playing another PRS for a few years (and made some of my best UO memories on that PRS). However, that PRS eventually died and I have been away from UO for a few years. Seriously thinking of getting back in it, but just wanted to honestly ask how this server is doing. Looks like you guys have been up for a long time which is good, but I also notice that your population has been in the 60's on week nights. Is this pretty standard for the server, or has it been declining? I know new members like me will help the server grow, but I also don't want to invest a ton of time just to see the server die. Thanks for any honest answers!

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Re: New and a question about second age server health...

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

The shard restarts daily at 7:20(ish)am EST. So online count for the first 2-3 hours are lower than usual because many people are already at work or school. Most evenings you'll find the online count to be between 170 and 230. In IRC, you can type !status to see how many IPs vs how many clients are online. Even though we allow 3 per accounts per player, you'll rarely see a 1:3 ratio.

There are many times you won't even see it as a 1:2 ratio because a good percentage of our regulars don't multiclient (there's no added incentive to multi-client here beyond general gameplay)

We're not going anywhere anytime soon. In terms of "life" - you'll find our population activity (compared to online count) to be better than many other shards that boost their high populations but have similar "activity' as UOSA in regards to finding people in the World doing things.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

Usually in the evenings it's over 200. The server has been around for a very long time and it won't be dying anytime soon. There are always fun things to do. Some of those include player events, town invasions, GM events like bagball, potion wars, monster mash etc.

The servers population may not be extremely high, I doubt any servers is; but those who are here are very active, especially the staff. You won't find a more authentic active server, this is it.

When you get started, message me in IRC (the servers chat program) and I'll help you get started.

Vorn

Post by Vorn »

That's good to hear, I downloaded the client last night and have started macroing. It's funny how UO always pulls you back. Once I get a foothold here, I may try to bring back some of my old guild mates.

Vorn

Post by Vorn »

Does poison damage weapons on this server?

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

I play week nights in the central time zone and it’s always over 150 and frequently over 200. I like the population level a lot actually. Hunting grounds aren’t crowded, so you can do and hunt where you want. There aren’t reds coming through every 5 minutes like original UO either. You might see one or two a night in the good hunting grounds. It’s enough to keep the original feel, without being burdensome. I’d like a few more people around so guilds were a little stronger and there were more sizable ones. It definitely has the look and feel I like though.

There are lots of helpful people on the shard. Ashborn has already offered aid as he always does. I can help you get started as well. I’m typically on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday nights. If you have a quick question, go to IRC up above in the forum header. There are always people willing to help out. If you type “/nick {your name}” in IRC it will change your anonymous handle to one people might recognize and get to know you as. I go by Eomin in IRC. A lot of us will throw cash and equipment at you to make those first days much more tolerable. We’ve been there, heh heh.

Several people will friend or loan you a house until you can buy it so you have a safe place to macro. I always keep a small around for new folks, and it is currently unoccupied. Fagabeefe will often co-own you on much larger houses until you can get the funds together to buy it outright.

Don’t be afraid to start a second account gathering resources as you macro your main. You can move the resources pretty easily for starting cash. I did ingots, but board pricing is really good right now. You can make upwards of 20K an hour with a good lumber macro.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

Vorn wrote:Does poison damage weapons on this server?
No.

Vorn

Post by Vorn »

morgan1109 wrote:I play week nights in the central time zone and it’s always over 150 and frequently over 200. I like the population level a lot actually. Hunting grounds aren’t crowded, so you can do and hunt where you want. There aren’t reds coming through every 5 minutes like original UO either. You might see one or two a night in the good hunting grounds. It’s enough to keep the original feel, without being burdensome. I’d like a few more people around so guilds were a little stronger and there were more sizable ones. It definitely has the look and feel I like though.

There are lots of helpful people on the shard. Ashborn has already offered aid as he always does. I can help you get started as well. I’m typically on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday nights. If you have a quick question, go to IRC up above in the forum header. There are always people willing to help out. If you type “/nick {your name}” in IRC it will change your anonymous handle to one people might recognize and get to know you as. I go by Eomin in IRC. A lot of us will throw cash and equipment at you to make those first days much more tolerable. We’ve been there, heh heh.

Several people will friend or loan you a house until you can buy it so you have a safe place to macro. I always keep a small around for new folks, and it is currently unoccupied. Fagabeefe will often co-own you on much larger houses until you can get the funds together to buy it outright.

Don’t be afraid to start a second account gathering resources as you macro your main. You can move the resources pretty easily for starting cash. I did ingots, but board pricing is really good right now. You can make upwards of 20K an hour with a good lumber macro.
That's good to hear, we were lucky to hit 130 on my last server.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Welcome! This is the best server I have played in my time searching for a free server.

Most people work during the day, so clearly the day time stats will be lower. There seems to be a lot of activity recently, player run tourneys, staff run tourneys, bagball, player run boom box roulette, player run last man standing (Thanks Rose) (VINT R CHAMP)
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Vorn wrote:That's good to hear, I downloaded the client last night and have started macroing. It's funny how UO always pulls you back. Once I get a foothold here, I may try to bring back some of my old guild mates.

When you invite your guildies back to play, make sure you limit what you give them. I provided my brother with everything he needed and his very first char was a 7x gm tank mage. He has logged maybe like 5 hours of non-macro actual play time. make them earn their way so that they'll stick around.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey