How? Noto-PKed in town: I did nothing criminal, wasn't grey

Topics related to Second Age
SighelmofWyrmgard

How? Noto-PKed in town: I did nothing criminal, wasn't grey

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

One of my alts Recalled into the Jeweller's in West Britain, refreshed Magic Reflection, and was immediately ganked ...

I had been East of Britain, riding around, killing monsters: I never attacked anything that had not already aggressed on me; I'd been out there about a half hour, before I decided to Recall back into town. Last thing I had killed was a Gargoyle; everything that I had killed had been a monster that had already aggressed on me.

On my own screen, I was not grey: I was green, while I was being ganked, but Guards did not respond; after I went down, one of the players remarked, "grey in town bad".

Did Razor-scavenger do something to make me criminal as soon as I Recalled? There used to be an exploit, decades ago on OSI shards, about dropping stuff, and ordering a pet to guard it, that would make someone else a criminal ... In any event, I was not grey!

I had dropped UOSA some years ago when a RL accident put me in the hospital so long my houses had collapsed in my absence; back exactly one week, and some glitch/exploit gets me noto-PKed in town ...

I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of anything that might have inadvertently happened that would have legitimately made me criminal; I'd also like to know how it was that I was still green to myself but, evidently, grey to other players.

Can anyone furnish any answers?

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

FearItself

Re: How? Noto-PKed in town: I did nothing criminal, wasn't g

Post by FearItself »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:One of my alts Recalled into the Jeweller's in West Britain, refreshed Magic Reflection, and was immediately ganked ...

I had been East of Britain, riding around, killing monsters: I never attacked anything that had not already aggressed on me; I'd been out there about a half hour, before I decided to Recall back into town. Last thing I had killed was a Gargoyle; everything that I had killed had been a monster that had already aggressed on me.

On my own screen, I was not grey: I was green, while I was being ganked, but Guards did not respond; after I went down, one of the players remarked, "grey in town bad".

Did Razor-scavenger do something to make me criminal as soon as I Recalled? There used to be an exploit, decades ago on OSI shards, about dropping stuff, and ordering a pet to guard it, that would make someone else a criminal ... In any event, I was not grey!

I had dropped UOSA some years ago when a RL accident put me in the hospital so long my houses had collapsed in my absence; back exactly one week, and some glitch/exploit gets me noto-PKed in town ...

I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of anything that might have inadvertently happened that would have legitimately made me criminal; I'd also like to know how it was that I was still green to myself but, evidently, grey to other players.

Can anyone furnish any answers?

SS
sincere apologies for the resulting headache of that gank. i am the one whom mentioned being grey in town was bad, my alt Agent Orange.

myself and several guild mates were on the bank roof hanging out, your char recalled into the jeweler and was grey the second i saw your name, so idk i apologize for the gank, and the confusion, i had wondered why you called guards but figured you had forgot you were grey...

that is a ponder... why were you grey right..?

[edit]
considering your recent return i would be more than happy to return what i looted, i got your armor and weapon entirely, the gold was looted by another member of mine... 1k i believe.. and not sure what else there was.

hope there is a answer to your grey issue, ill keep up with the thread

SighelmofWyrmgard

Thanks for the reply, as it at least gives me the story from "the other side". Thanks also for the kind words.

If I could have the armor and weapon restored to me that would be kind, and help me a great deal: most of the rest of what I had on that character was monster-looted-junk; the amount of regs and potions carried would be worth only about 1K; I'm not heartbroken by a little loss. Please PM me.

The mystery remains, however, and I do not know at all what would be relevant to a bug-report submission. When I was attacked, on my screen, I remained green, not grey. I know this for a fact because my Magic Reflection hotkey assignment (UO-interface, not Razor) is ctrlshftR: ctrlshft brings up colored labels of most/all objects onscreen (I sometimes use that facility to target); to me, I could see that I was green.

Something a little weird did happen before I Recalled back to town: I had a series of spell-fizzles (that character is not 99% for Cir5, but is for Cir4, and I fizzled Recall twice ...) immediately before, and when Recall did take, my graphics "twitched" during the area-transition; I had thought the fizzles were from the Feeblemind with which the last gargoyle had hit me, just before it went down.

Maybe this "glitch" has something to do with my guild being in "UOSA limbo": as of a week ago, when I finally returned to assess what I was left to work with, I had resolved that I would not bother the administration until I had recovered enough to place a house, and then contact them about the possibility of restoring/whatever the missing stone; I realize that I am grasping at straws, but something did happen that messed-up this character's criminal flag.

Regarding the notion of "forgot I was grey", it's hard for one to forget an offence that was never committed: I killed 3 ettins, 2 trolls, 2 gargoyles, 2-3 mongbats and 2-3 harpies that had glommed onto me; I looted their bodies; that's it. The only thing that came to my mind after the Noto-kill event was, did Razor-scavenger scoop up a reg from the floor in the Jeweller shop, that was being guarded by someone else's pet, a la an exploit that used to exist eons ago on OSI ... ?

I just don't know at all. Fearitself, I thank you for giving me your information.

SS

P.S.

As Fearitself can attest, my character went down in seconds: I went straight to the healers, who did not deny my resurrection (doesn't a grey flag make the healers tell you to wait, or is that from a different era ... ?).

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

FearItself

Post by FearItself »

you are correct by the healers not rezzing a grey/criminal in this era... [edit] (Town Healers... not regarding Evil Healers ect..)

in all...
i was within viewing distance of the jeweler with 3 members of mine, you pop up grey and i ordered the attack (again apologies) we took some 10 seconds tops to get from bank roof to inside where you were, took maybe 5 seconds to kill.. total time of you being in town is an estimated 30 seconds when rezzed.

i only came back to UO about 2 months ago so i am unfamiliar with some cool downs, criminal status being one of them, when i go criminal it takes some 1-3 minutes to go blue in my recollection.

none of my crew was grey for the attack and i never got the "will make you criminal" prompt.

did you scare the vendor with your recall? lol damn.

ok well as far as the reason for your grey status i am stumped, but as for the gear i will have that for you tomorrow, a bad way to recruit but if you need help we are more than happy to assist, we hunt/pvp/event and all the fun stuff. guild name is <EX for Extinction, my main is Bard Mage named Fear Itself.

my IRC is [EX]FearItself
forum PM is fastest notification, but i am usually on IRC if i am playing.

Fare Thee Well

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Were you on a char in the thieves guild and or that was a thief itself?
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Capitalist wrote:Were you on a char in the thieves guild and or that was a thief itself?
No, no Thieves' Guild, no thieving: that character has never had any more than 0 in Stealing, nor even in Snooping; the most-vile thing that character had done in the preceding ~30 minutes was carve the feathers off of a harpy.

I mentioned "fizzles" because that was the last "normally weird" thing to happen, before I began to wonder why these three guys have charged into the Jewellers and have boxed me into the corner ... I swear I thought, "did I just recall into a Britain-PvP-free-for-all Event? I better pay more attention to shard event announcements!".

Anyway, back to fizzles, 1 MR fizzle was not unusual, 2 only annoying, but 3 in a row was "weird" and I thought maybe my client was out of sync, or the RNG was stuck, and I decided to go back to town right away, and then 2 Recall fizzles was unbelievable; when my 3rd Recall succeeded, I thought --incorrectly-- it's ok now ... I was wondering about a dying gargoyle's Feeblemind and how it might cause fizzles (it was the last spell I'd been hit with, -8 Int), when three guys came crashing into the Jewellers ...

Thanks for asking the obvious question, though: it had to be asked, as I hadn't thought to add those additional details on my own.

I'm still stumped, but at least a little less-aggrieved.

SS

EDIT:

PS: I called the Guards, as Fearitself confirms: if I was a criminal, shouldn't I have been guard-whacked by my own call?
That perverse thought makes me laugh ...

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:]if I was a criminal, shouldn't I have been guard-whacked by my own call?]
Not necessarily.
^

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

You will only be guard killed if you perform a criminal action while in a justice zone (town). If you perform the action outside of town then walk into it, guards will do nothing. I'm sure you accidentally did something to go grey before recalling in (healing a monster, looting a blue corpse, etc.)
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

Ali

Post by Ali »

Elk Eater wrote: I'm sure you accidentally did something to go grey before recalling in (healing a monster)
Boomland Jenkins wrote:
The Internet giveth and the Internet taketh away.

FearItself

Post by FearItself »

Can't call the guards on yourself luckily, whatever made you grey was done out of town and that I am 99% sure of, had you gone grey in town that jeweler would have called guards ect..

The only time I go grey without the "will make you criminal" prompt is if I am using Target hot keys and heal/buff the enemy grey. But. I am almost positive that it asks before you do the criminal act the first time..

Considering you were wearing full armor I assume you weren't casting any spells like Blade Spirits / Energy Vortex that may have attacked a blue...

So my ideas are you forgot you healed a monster... there was a wacky glitch that made you grey.. or you are forgetting something.

Weird events

I'll be on shortly

SighelmofWyrmgard

For Elk-eater & co.,

Yes, you are making the exact same remarks that I would make, were I answering someone else's thread with a similar subject. I did not "do something bad", and then forget about it; I know all of the things in T2A that make a character legitimately grey, and there is none of it in this instance. Anyway, there is no harm in reminding me that maybe I might have; I have my ui settings arranged to give me the "criminal" prompt, and I certainly never saw one (I'd forgotten about that nicety, also: I'd never been presented with a criminal prompt, as should have happened).

Your remarks are useful, after all.

Fearitself, I know what you mean by razor macros and such (I've had, "hey, razor, wtf did you just do?" moments of my own), but the only razor-stuff I had had active was scavenger agent: my primary command hotkeys are UO-interface, not razor; scavenger was the only agent operating, nor were there any scripts running.

I never once used any kind of "last target hotkey", I remember for a fact: I had a number of mobs glomming onto me, and I poisoned them separately first, targeting to status bar, then pulled them apart, equipped weapons and "had at them"; I only used a heal spell twice, once for each gargoyle, on a hotkey that automatically selects self as target.

So, nothing was happening that should/could have bypassed the criminal prompt except, perhaps, some weird thing with Razor scavenger ... but Fearitself just confirmed that whatever happened, happened "out of town" (but not, I am thinking, necessarily where I had been but, rather, during area transition).

So, a weird glitch with the criminal flag, perhaps due to a malfunctioning, or out of sync, client combined with an abrupt area transition ... if/when I see "weird behaviour" out of my client again, I will NOT immediately Recall into town ... I just now remembered that there was a thundershower going on outside, in RL, at the time this all went awry.

Summary: no observable player-exploit to report, and only a single occurrence of such an incident out of hundreds of hours of play on UOSA; hence, I won't cast Recall while my client is acting "glitchy" during a real-world thunderstorm, and hopefully nothing of the kind will happen again.

Thanks to all for input and good information.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

FearItself wrote:Can't call the guards on yourself

Actually you can call guards on yourself... If you commit a crime in town, and then use your "vendor buy the guards and open the bank" macro, you will die. Quick, ask me how i know.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

Drunk'n Disorder wrote:
FearItself wrote:Can't call the guards on yourself

Actually you can call guards on yourself... If you commit a crime in town, and then use your "vendor buy the guards and open the bank" macro, you will die. Quick, ask me how i know.
Or ask me 3x. :(
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Jay

Post by Jay »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote: ... I just now remembered that there was a thundershower going on outside, in RL, at the time this all went awry.
sounds to me like some sort of temporal displacement. were you by chance going 88 mph?

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

Jay wrote:
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote: ... I just now remembered that there was a thundershower going on outside, in RL, at the time this all went awry.
sounds to me like some sort of temporal displacement. were you by chance going 88 mph?
1.21 jiggawatts
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg