Topics related to Second Age
Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: UOSA TOP 10 Contributors List

Post by Aeris »

As GK mentioned, and as was timely spoken by Rose in IRC a few moments ago:

Something I think people don't understand: giving new players gold and supplies does not give them an incentive to stay! It takes away any challenge, and makes the game boring and have no investment of effort. Not to mention, if they identify that it would take them a month to earn what someone just gave them for free, why on earth would they decide to stay and put in a month's work to double the value which they were gifted in 10 seconds?

The only reason I'm still here is because I didn't have someone in IRC offer me a house and supplies to macro up a 7x character in a week. I met a couple guys in IRC, they gave me a suit of GM Armour, a silver weapon, a few bandages, and took me to Deceit and farmed with me for two hours. I was hooked. They let me take 8k home to bank, and I *felt* like I was rich as fuck. I tried to never let that gold get below 5k, as an emergency fund. Took me a month or more to get my first small, and I was blissfully oblivious to how slow I was, and it made me crave logging in each day to get a little bit closer to my first house.

As soon as you show a new player how relatively absurdly rich you are (say I have 50 mil and a newbie has 10k, that makes me 5,000 times richer than them) by gifting them 100k and saying it's easy for me to earn that, they say "I'll never catch up, this shard will take forever for me to be able to compete" and they logout for good.
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Aeris wrote:As GK mentioned, and as was timely spoken by Rose in IRC a few moments ago:

Something I think people don't understand: giving new players gold and supplies does not give them an incentive to stay! It takes away any challenge, and makes the game boring and have no investment of effort.

This is 100% true for new players. However, I believe he is attempting to steal players from other shards. If they are already active on another shard it would probably require some incentive to bring them here.

I'll donate a patio deed. Put my name on the top of the list!
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

slyyoungstar

Post by slyyoungstar »

The lack of a market for crafting goods was a big deterrent when I first started. Our hoarding of magic items (who uses anything less than power/vanq, fort/invul anymore) makes a very era inaccurate feel, I think. In T2A OSI, if you had a GM smith, you were set for life. Here, it's at best a repair tool for metal items or crafting for regulated events that require it. Unless you've got a regbot and know that alchemy is the only worthwhile craft here, you can waste a ton of time and manpower developing something you didn't even realize was worthless.

Going to check out of this thread to not derail more than I already have at this point. I've already made comments this morning in more appropriate threads for the direction where my ranting is starting to move towards. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61708&start=30

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

Drunk'n Disorder wrote:
Aeris wrote:As GK mentioned, and as was timely spoken by Rose in IRC a few moments ago:

Something I think people don't understand: giving new players gold and supplies does not give them an incentive to stay! It takes away any challenge, and makes the game boring and have no investment of effort.

This is 100% true for new players. However, I believe he is attempting to steal players from other shards. If they are already active on another shard it would probably require some incentive to bring them here.

I'll donate a patio deed. Put my name on the top of the list!
Exactly, thank you.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

Something I think people don't understand: giving new players gold and supplies does not give them an incentive to stay! It takes away any challenge, and makes the game boring and have no investment of effort. Not to mention, if they identify that it would take them a month to earn what someone just gave them for free, why on earth would they decide to stay and put in a month's work to double the value which they were gifted in 10 seconds?

The only reason I'm still here is because I didn't have someone in IRC offer me a house and supplies to macro up a 7x character in a week. I met a couple guys in IRC, they gave me a suit of GM Armour, a silver weapon, a few bandages, and took me to Deceit and farmed with me for two hours. I was hooked. They let me take 8k home to bank, and I *felt* like I was rich as fuck. I tried to never let that gold get below 5k, as an emergency fund. Took me a month or more to get my first small, and I was blissfully oblivious to how slow I was, and it made me crave logging in each day to get a little bit closer to my first house.

As soon as you show a new player how relatively absurdly rich you are (say I have 50 mil and a newbie has 10k, that makes me 5,000 times richer than them) by gifting them 100k and saying it's easy for me to earn that, they say "I'll never catch up, this shard will take forever for me to be able to compete" and they logout for good.
You are right, I don't intend on gifting someone 100k, merely supplying them with starter essentials and showing them an incredible time in game, not only to "get them hooked.". Showing them how cool the people here can be, instead of them logging in working up like you said and losing it all with one swoop of a red wiz hally, makes for a much better chance of them staying.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

Many thanks to Drunk'n Disorder for the first donation of 1 - Patio Deed.

+1 to you sir!
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

^
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

This is genuinely the dumbest fucking idea I've seen in my time here. I don't understand how an adult could sit there and think this was a smart thing to try. Begging for gold to settle some weird robin hood fetish and then berating those with enough wisdom to call you out on it?

Your sig says you're a merchant. I think you've got it confused with a politician.
GuardianKnight wrote:gold is the least valuable thing in this game....
I wholeheartedly disagree. Buying power in this game goes like this $ > g > s > rest. Selling power goes like this gf > uni/sb/etc > rest. Power in this case being the willingness of the reciprocal party to trade with you.
^

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

He has good intentions trey!

Speaking of robin hooding, if any newbs needs some silver weps I have freshly liberated some from the evil Vega's stockpile.

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

Treysta wrote:This is genuinely the dumbest fucking idea I've seen in my time here. I don't understand how an adult could sit there and think this was a smart thing to try. Begging for gold to settle some weird robin hood fetish and then berating those with enough wisdom to call you out on it?

Your sig says you're a merchant. I think you've got it confused with a politician.
GuardianKnight wrote:gold is the least valuable thing in this game....
I wholeheartedly disagree. Buying power in this game goes like this $ > g > s > rest. Selling power goes like this gf > uni/sb/etc > rest. Power in this case being the willingness of the reciprocal party to trade with you.
I weep for humanity.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

farnk

Post by farnk »

lol
@
being "wealthy" on a dead server of a dead game in 2015

lol

o
l
l
ollo

lo
ol
l
o
olO
L

OL
O
OL
LO
O
OO
O
L
O

LO

LO

LO
L
O
L
O
LO

killaboy

Re: UOSA TOP 10 Richest List

Post by killaboy »

killaboy wrote:Anyways, sorry for your thread but I honestly don't think you'll get anyone's vote or castle deed, and it's not because, "we must not be wealthy" its simply just a bad idea.

[11:31] <@Vintirex-droid> Cause he wants to flirt like a 7 year old I'm out silver

[18:55] <Soma_> I would definitely go transginger for millions of doll hairs

orevamp

Post by orevamp »

Last edited by orevamp on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galendae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Galendae »

farnk wrote:lol
@
being "wealthy" on a dead server of a dead game in 2015

lol

o
l
l
ollo

lo
ol
l
o
olO
L

LO
Your IDOC was an embarrassment....you needed to quit. You sucked at this game.

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

Thank you Orevamp and Violator for contributing 4 million and 500k gold, respectively.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire