Topics related to Second Age
inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: *

Post by inkognito »

Was this thread about communism?
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

That actually would have made more sense. To the best of my understanding, the thread was so people could pay to get onto a list that ranked people by who had paid the most to get on the list. Which, of all the lists I've ever seen, is the shittiest kind of list.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

So I'm not missing much on my hiatus I see. Every wizard knows I'm the richest anyway.

Well done by the way with a 3rd installment to the family Malaikat. God willing, I have my 3rd boy coming in a few months.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

It’s actually not far fetched at all. When you have “all the rares” and a huge bank balance, what do you have to spend it on? Building your reg pile? The answer is philanthropy. It’s happened over and over in our history. The most notable example was likely the Rockfeller Vs Carnegie Philanthrofest. They both owned monopolies in the US. They were always trying to one up the other. In the end they chose philanthropy as the battleground and just about everyone benefitted to the tune of about $750 million back in the day. I don’t even want to think what that number would be in today’s dollars.

A kinder and gentler competition is going on right now between Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and millionaires everywhere. However Bill and Warren have actually teamed up to basically shame the rest of the millionaires to match their donation. Warren I believe openly called them out in the papers (how the Rockefeller and Carnegie battle started). It might have been the Berkshire Hathaway chairmen’s letter now that I think about it. Either way they’ve openly challenged other millionaires to give away most of their fortune as they have pledged. I really should know the quote, but it’s been within the last 3 years or so he made the challenge. Bill and Warren have pledged somewhere in the $50 Billion range I think.

It happens more than you would think with real dollars. It’s not inconceivable if some big names started throwing their weight around, a couple big fish join the fray and the philanthropy war ignites. It didn’t happen unfortunately, but saying it’s dumb or impossible is just wrong.

To be clear, I’m not promoting the idea, or saying it is a good idea. I’m simply saying there is precedence for this sort of thing and its farm from a bad idea. When it works, it usually works very very well.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

No one has a problem with Phillip Anthropy. That guy's awesome.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

morgan1109 wrote:It’s actually not far fetched at all. When you have “all the rares” and a huge bank balance, what do you have to spend it on? Building your reg pile? The answer is philanthropy. It’s happened over and over in our history. The most notable example was likely the Rockfeller Vs Carnegie Philanthrofest. They both owned monopolies in the US. They were always trying to one up the other. In the end they chose philanthropy as the battleground and just about everyone benefitted to the tune of about $750 million back in the day. I don’t even want to think what that number would be in today’s dollars.

A kinder and gentler competition is going on right now between Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and millionaires everywhere. However Bill and Warren have actually teamed up to basically shame the rest of the millionaires to match their donation. Warren I believe openly called them out in the papers (how the Rockefeller and Carnegie battle started). It might have been the Berkshire Hathaway chairmen’s letter now that I think about it. Either way they’ve openly challenged other millionaires to give away most of their fortune as they have pledged. I really should know the quote, but it’s been within the last 3 years or so he made the challenge. Bill and Warren have pledged somewhere in the $50 Billion range I think.

It happens more than you would think with real dollars. It’s not inconceivable if some big names started throwing their weight around, a couple big fish join the fray and the philanthropy war ignites. It didn’t happen unfortunately, but saying it’s dumb or impossible is just wrong.

To be clear, I’m not promoting the idea, or saying it is a good idea. I’m simply saying there is precedence for this sort of thing and its farm from a bad idea. When it works, it usually works very very well.

For me, helping new players on here admittedly was really three things: 1. Helping people 2. Show boating 3. Self preservation of fortune by keeping the server alive

I'd like to point out that since player population has continued to decline, I'm sure everyone has felt its impact via the worth of their valuables. So I was right.... and nah nah nah nah boo boo. I told you so.

I am only very confused why these wealthy members, NOT MENTIONING NAMES, are asking for donations to run their "programs/events". Since I literally ran a few programs to help players, I feel I am uniquely qualified to comment on this. Just why do these people need ALL these donations to help new players and *ahem* run raffles?

It is also a little condescending to say "Compete by donating here to prove who is the wealthiest.". Since no one exactly knows HOW this money will be spent, it is a little like saying "Compete to prove who is the wealthiest by fattening my bank box". Its just a little silly and half baked but MAY have been done with actual good intentions.

Who knows.
Last edited by Taboo on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

oh and in other news: derp.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

If anything, stuff has gotten more valuable with the waning population because more and more wealth is possessed by fewer and fewer people. I tried to apply real-world economics principles in order to gauge the impact of Tela's empire going IDOC and witnessed something extremely counter intuitive at that time also. Instead of prices dropping because of market saturation on PvP gear/rares/etc, prices went through the roof because every noob had so much expendable wealth that they up bid every auction.

Interesting stuff, but you're wrong.

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

Bump for a great idea!
^