Re: If you see new players...

Post by vintirex »

:lol:

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Syphilis_Jack, your existence in this community is entirely to bash this server and its staff while marketing for a different server. Even by your own admission this is the case.

Bravo, you are a dedicated fanatic.

Cromwell
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Cromwell »

Galendae wrote: Telamon is no dummy, he does not care about this shard. Although he has Kaivan fooled apparently. Grow a pair Kaivan and kill that chart, which was no more than, "look at us we are growing" and you suck. Don't be a sucker. You guys let Telamon walk all over you for years and now you are again.

Galendae
I disagree.

Back when UOGateway was a downloadable program, it was the way new players chose on which shard to play. By squelching any mention of it you're doing a disservice to the history of the game, as well as insulting current players' intelligence and capacity to type "uo shard" in an address bar. I suppose this is an attempt to increase player retention; however, this viewpoint and desperation will drive players way. New players can only be truly recruited if they choose to play on this shard, preferring it to the alternatives. The question is: what do we have to offer?
"The Finest Arms, Armor, and Service. UBB."

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Cromwell wrote:
Galendae wrote: Telamon is no dummy, he does not care about this shard. Although he has Kaivan fooled apparently. Grow a pair Kaivan and kill that chart, which was no more than, "look at us we are growing" and you suck. Don't be a sucker. You guys let Telamon walk all over you for years and now you are again.

Galendae
I disagree.

Back when UOGateway was a downloadable program, it was the way new players chose on which shard to play. By squelching any mention of it you're doing a disservice to the history of the game, as well as insulting current players' intelligence and capacity to type "uo shard" in an address bar. I suppose this is an attempt to increase player retention; however, this viewpoint and desperation will drive players way. New players can only be truly recruited if they choose to play on this shard, preferring it to the alternatives. The question is: what do we have to offer?
Easy question. We offer hands down the most mechanically accurate representation of arguably the best era of UO that exists. No donation perks, no custom rulesets, raw UO the way it was. If you want something on this server you can have it, you just have to earn it. Earning it here is harder than anywhere else which makes it doubly rewarding.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirEricKain »

It's not about making this place a safe haven for new players or changing your murderous ways.

My intent was merely to allow a short time span for new players to get a foothold on what the shard is all about and how to appropriately defend themselves.

We are but creatures of habit, if we come in and start mining or venture out into the wilderness only to be annihilated within minutes of showing up, chances are that would discourage someone. As apposed to someone taking another under their wing and giving them "missions and tasks" to create winning habits.

If we ban together to make an effort of promoting new players and pointing them to the right guild of their chosen path... this will create a very rich environment for all of us.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Telamon is so full of shit in every single way.

1) Yes, he did cheat. Thoroughly.

2) His entire UO philosophy is trammel-ish.

3) I have never had a conversation with him where he didn't mention or use propaganda against UOSA every 3 lines.

So please, give your opinions but don't mask them with bullshit like "I wish UOSA well." when in private your entire conversation with anyone who has ever played UOSA or thought about playing UOSA is pure hate and propaganda.

You are a butthurt little baby bitch who hasn't figured out how to ever do anything in an ethically sound, integrity based way. Get over yourself.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

Capitalist wrote:Telamon is so full of shit in every single way.

1) Yes, he did cheat. Thoroughly.

2) His entire UO philosophy is trammel-ish.

3) I have never had a conversation with him where he didn't mention or use propaganda against UOSA every 3 lines.

So please, give your opinions but don't mask them with bullshit like "I wish UOSA well." when in private your entire conversation with anyone who has ever played UOSA or thought about playing UOSA is pure hate and propaganda.

You are a butthurt little baby bitch who hasn't figured out how to ever do anything in an ethically sound, integrity based way. Get over yourself.
What if I had 500 doll hairs laying around?
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Galendae wrote:Telamon is no dummy, he does not care about this shard. Although he has Kaivan fooled apparently.
One of the first things that I said on the issue is that I've spoken about this in the past. A good example of this general community building that I have talked about can be found in various threads, several of which are from long before Telamon even stepped foot on the server. The point I was trying to make is that it is your choice regarding what players exist on the server via the broad attitude that's presented, and that generally making room for more play styles will attract a larger group of people to interact with. This isn't some grand hypothesis, and it isn't telling you that you absolutely must act this way, but a lot regarding the overall population and enjoyment for given play styles rests with the community as a whole. So no, this isn't something that Telamon, or anyone else has fooled me into believing - it's a position I've held for as long as I've been here.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Syphilis_Jack wrote:One can see on the population graph that this shard's better days are far behind. Wonder why that is? Could it be that many new players here are pk'd nearly 30 seconds into the game, in town nonetheless? Or maybe it's the big dogs who have made their millions of gold via exploits and bugs? Sometimes I log in just to see who is still around, and when I see a new person I refer them elsewhere for the sole fact that this shard is pretty unwelcoming to newbs and I hate to see someone make the same mistakes I have in the past of joining shards on their last leg with a rapidly dwindling population. Why bust your ass on this shard when there is zero economy outside of the same vets haggling over snot green hued sandals and other garbage. I finally got tired of seeing too many decent players leave this place.

Perhaps a shard wipe would work, but then again you've got the same playerbase that can get away with grief tactics that would never fly under another a certain other shard's watch. Just keep doing what you guys are doing, and kiss your population goodbye.
Interesting. So I guess being banned the first time for shard advertising wasn't enough? I've been very tolerant of your criticism thus far, but it seems apparent that you're not offering criticism, just utilizing your forum access to help push others to different servers as you flat out admit in your post. You are no longer welcome to post here.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

Kaivan what's your thoughts on a counselor system?
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

ThatTelamon

Post by ThatTelamon »

It's interesting you bring this up Vega, but not the reason we were having a conversation in the first place. Your comments however have helped me determine that the answer to your question would be "no".

Having experience dealing with the challenges that Derrick, Kaivan and everyone else that made UOSA possible have had to deal with I have a much greater understanding and appreciation for what has been accomplished here. Think what you will of me, but I simply wanted to share my experiences with a positive (not trammel) felucca community.

I do not want to cause any more problems for the staff here, or bring any negativity to the discussion so I will leave it at that.

Good luck Erik, I suspect you will need it.
Last edited by ThatTelamon on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Medlock

Post by Medlock »

Kaivan wrote:Interesting. So I guess being banned the first time for shard advertising wasn't enough? I've been very tolerant of your criticism thus far, but it seems apparent that you're not offering criticism, just utilizing your forum access to help push others to different servers as you flat out admit in your post. You are no longer welcome to post here.
Might as well get banned under my other forum account too haha. Let me correct you on something rather ironic. I'll start with saying I was pretty hardcore into this server, vehemently resisted going elsewhere even when my friends were leaving for greener pastures. Normally, I'm one to go down with the ship, but in this case, I felt that the staff didn't give a shit about this server, why should I anymore? (side note: this was around March/april of 2014 maybe. Before Boomland picked up the slack and did a admirable job in trying to save it with actual events when the rest of the staff just didn't seem to care.) With that being said, let me tell you of my own personal experiences in game with staff here. .......................... There, I'm done. Being a vet I didn't have much that needed to be asked of staff, but when I actually did make a few pages for legitimate reasons, guess what? No one answered at all, even after waiting hours. This wasn't an isolated incident either, many people I know experienced the same. Now, I know people are busy and all, but here's the kicker and my original ironic point. Just for shits and giggles, and long after I decided I was done with the shard, I'd pull my little stunt in game and see how long it would take staff to answer. I have to applaud you guys, I was squelched fairly quick! The moral of my story is, when I actually needed pages answered, staff didn't care, but God forbid you spam at the bank! :D Funny that players can get away with being super dicks to people, even so much as calling people niggers (which I've seen a certain foul mouthed little kid spam at brit bank before) and other racist/sexist/vulgar things and the staff here will turn a blind eye....but oh man, you dare utter the name of another shard, BAN THEM! BAN THEM NOW!

I'd also like to correct you on a second point, I don't recall ever using my forum account to advertise for other shards. I have, however, had aired my grievances with this shard, but to my knowledge I've never mentioned another shard by name via forums. Besides, much of the player base here does enough to drive people away from this shard just by advocating the slaughter of players that are new. (However, slaughtering NEW is ok... and yes I Might Heal.... 'twas I, Medlock , aka Syphilis Jack , that kept unlocking the keep door! It was me Pringles! It was me all along!!! ;) ) I have talked to many frustrated players IN GAME and referred them elsewhere when they'd ask me the honest question of "Is this shard worth building chars on?". I just tell them how it is, this shard is great for the mechanics but it's a greifer's paradise so take that as you will.

In closing, I will say that this shard was definitely my 3rd favorite free shard I've ever played. It was sad to have came in when all the best guilds and players had already come and gone, and I honestly can say that I did try to bring new players into Second Age but it always ended in the same way: new player either dismayed at the population or being pk'd and dry looted in town while trying to macro. Doesn't matter if you tell them "Well you gotta macro in a safe place, etc." , you can make fun of them all you like as this thread has displayed proudly, but that isn't going to make anyone stay. If anyone wants to see the future of this shard, just log into Angel Island which is still there for some odd reason. Zero population, that's kind of what happens when grief tactics are unchecked. Go look through the forums too, you'll see the same stuff "Boo hoo noob, get good, this aint for the kiddies, lolz" when people were trying to sound the alarm. (yes AI had other problems as well, but many point to this as the main issue). Kaivan buddy, feel free to ban me if you must to save face after you respond, but I think my message resonates with more people than you might think. Hopefully, "era accuracy" won't stop you guys from listening to other players' grievances as well. Have a good one folks...

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

ThatTelamon wrote:

It's interesting you bring this up Vega, but not the reason we were having a conversation in the first place. You comments however have helped me determine that the answer to your question would be "no".
Using UOSA forums to promote his own server. I called him out on his bullshit and now he just told me he's banning me on a completely unrelated server. Ban/erase.

Galendae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Galendae »

Capitalist wrote:
ThatTelamon wrote:

It's interesting you bring this up Vega, but not the reason we were having a conversation in the first place. You comments however have helped me determine that the answer to your question would be "no".
Using UOSA forums to promote his own server. I called him out on his bullshit and now he just told me he's banning me on a completely unrelated server. Ban/erase.
Bravo, but you were late to the party, I beat you to it.