Came here from Reddit.

Topics related to Second Age
Tirith

Came here from Reddit.

Post by Tirith »

So I came here after asking on UO sub reddit for a good original content UO server.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultimaonline/c ... rver_with/

Pretty much the response for what I asked for was UOSA so here I am. This is just my post to say hello and ask for some help as I am one of these rare UO virgins. From what I have seen the game looks great and I wanted to play the game from an original ERA, none of this custom content that all the other servers have to offer. My in game name that I will be using will be the same as my forum name 'Tirith' which I stole from Minas Tirith from LOTR :) anyway the help I was looking for was about making a bard. I have been told its a good way for a new player to make money but I seem unable to find a guide on how to make one all I find is 'Templates' but as I'm new I don't understand what they are, so anyone know of any good guides for a bard? also I'm leaning more towords the bard/mage type.

Thank you for any reply and help :) can't wait to get stuck in!

Capitalist

Re: Came here from Reddit.

Post by Capitalist »

Welcome!

Pay me your tithings!

I mean, uh. Make money with:

provocation/musicianship/hiding/evaluating intelligence/magery/meditation/resisting spells

Your stats should be 100 STR, 25 dex, 100 INT.

GM the skills in that order while you farm along. Provocation takes up to 3 days with superior macros. Enjoy your time here, it is a rare joy.

Use IRC if you're social enough. Most of the people in main chat are obnoxious, but it's a good way to get quick answers to necessary inquiries.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Welcome to the server here are a few threads that you might get some useful information from. If you need anything PM me in IRC. If i'm around i'll do my best to give you a hand.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5350

Capitalist wrote:Most of the people in main chat are obnoxious
lol

EDIT: someone said the second link was not applicable to our shard anymore. So I removed it.
Last edited by Drunk'n Disorder on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Tirith

Post by Tirith »

Thank you very much the links supplied are very helpful. Will get started with my character later on tonight.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Welcome to UOSA. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me. I am around most days during daytime hours (EST).
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

Tirith wrote:So I came here after asking on UO sub reddit for a good original content UO server.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultimaonline/c ... rver_with/

Pretty much the response for what I asked for was UOSA so here I am. This is just my post to say hello and ask for some help as I am one of these rare UO virgins. From what I have seen the game looks great and I wanted to play the game from an original ERA, none of this custom content that all the other servers have to offer. My in game name that I will be using will be the same as my forum name 'Tirith' which I stole from Minas Tirith from LOTR :) anyway the help I was looking for was about making a bard. I have been told its a good way for a new player to make money but I seem unable to find a guide on how to make one all I find is 'Templates' but as I'm new I don't understand what they are, so anyone know of any good guides for a bard? also I'm leaning more towords the bard/mage type.

Thank you for any reply and help :) can't wait to get stuck in!
Welcome,
Please feel free to reach out if you need any help.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Narcissic

Post by Narcissic »

I prefer wrestling over hiding in Vega's template but his is still good. In my opinion taking wrestling is better when you think you can escape from PKs with a recall. Hiding is better when running from player killers and you jump through a cave exit/entrance and hide. They'll usually think you recalled since few pks take tracking anymore.

Big thing to use: Razor
When working on your character, it is going to be your best friend. Working on your character in game all the time is tiresome. I mean, who wants to run around pressing hide all the time? So when you are done for the night, leave your comp running with a macro playing. If you are running razor AND ultima online in windows compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 3 AND in administrator mode, you can create and save macros by going under the macros tab, clicking new, and then recording your actions. Razor will save every hotkey, skill, and movement that you do in a macro you record. It can even keep track of your regs, pots, and any other item in your inventory in your macros.

If you are looking for a newbie friendly guild so you can get to know people, I recommend NIP (Ninjas in Pajamas). They're around all the time and everyone is willing to help each other out. I don't play as much as I used to, but I'm pretty much always checking the forums and IRC. In IRC, I go by Kyrie. Just shoot me a PM if you ever need help, advice, or want to join NIP. Or maybe you just want someone to farm with. I'll help with that too :)

Also, the second link Disorderly posted no longer applies on the shard. Provocation was changed sometime after that thread was created. Provocation is based on two checks. First, it checks your music skill for success. If you have 100 music skill, you have a 100% chance to pass this check. If you have 50 skill, then you have a 50% chance to succeed. 1 skill point=1% success. Provided you pass the music check, the game then checks your provocation. The same checks apply here too. 100% chance to provoke at 100 skill. 50% chance to provoke at 50 skill. Because of this, it is better to GM musicianship first so that you always pass the music skill. Because provocation checks your music skill, you will gain in music without actively clicking on your instrument but provocation gains will be exceedingly slow if your music is low.

Remember, the game checks music and THEN provocation. Failing music means you never get to try and provoke things. Therefore, you cannot gain provocation if you fail in music. The good news is musicianship takes only an hour or two to GM using a macro that double clicks your instrument for you.

My recommendation for the starting stats of a bard is 20 str/10 dex/ 50 int. Take magery at 50 skill, meditation at 49 skill, and music at 1 skill. This will get you a newbied (meaning it stays on you even after death as long as you are not a murderer) instrument. Macroing music and provo will raise your intelligence and dexterity. Don't let your dex get above 25. Afterwards, go out and buy a shepherd's crook and macro herding. This raises your strength exceedingly fast. Once you feel comfortable, go ahead and farm whenever you want. Later on, macroing eval int, magery, and meditation will take you to 100 int.
Derrick wrote: It is not our policy to comment on account actions which are taken against players.

An exception should be made in order to counter dishonesty.
Cavewights accounts were banned for accepting in-game goods for the promise of money.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

Narcissic’s comments are right on point. I chose hiding on one bard, and wrestling on another. It really depends on your overall goals which is best. My treasure hunter and rare hunter has hiding and I can’t imagine him without it. My pure provoker has wrestling and looks exactly like vega’s build. I built him with the express purpose of having a strong offensive magery set to supplement the provocation ability. So I went all in on the magery skills and didn’t have room for hide. The bottom line is try them both and make the call for yourself. Hiding is free to raise. Wrestling costs about 2K gold to GM with a rented fighter/gate scrolls, and bandages.

The only other point I would make to a new person is to have fun. You have access to 3 accounts (15 characters), so you don’t need to sit there and watch the macro run all day. Make a crafter and mine some ore for starting money (or armor if you take smithing). Make a fighter and run around beating on stuff at the grave yard while you wait for your new character to get high enough. People always need boards these days so get some hatchets and hit some trees for startup funds. If provo is getting slow in the 80’s, take a break and hit a dungeon for a while. At GM music/84 provo, you have an 84% chance of provoking which is perfectly fine for some dungeon crawling. Use the stalagmites and other obstacles when you fail to keep the mobs off you.

Magery is the one skill that will be costly to raise for that build. I recommend grabbing some recall scrolls until you hit 70 magery. You can ensure the recall scroll won’t fizzle 100% of the time (with 50 magery). You don’t want to fizzle when a PK is on your tail. Oh and make a recall macro with a hotkey on your keyboard. It saves you quite often. If I get caught on my bard 99% of the time it’s because I have a T2A rune in my backpack. I use dclick by type (rune) rather than absolute target so it works on all characters. You can’t recall to a spot in T2A from anywhere in the original world. So make sure you don’t have any blank or T2A runes when running around britannia and vice versa. I’ve been here almost a year and I still forget to bank my Papua rune on occasion when hitting the dungeons.

If you need help getting started, or some new gear, etc. just speak up in IRC. If I’m on (usually as “eomin”) I’ll gladly swing by and give you some starting funds. If I’m not on, there’s usually a few very helpful vets around that will be glad to help a new guy out.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

Let's hope this lil guy isn't afraid of wall of texts.
^

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

I broke it into a couple paragraphs :D
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

WizKid

Post by WizKid »

Welcome!
Saber wrote:i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
Saber wrote:garentee'd