It depends on the severity of the ban!
28%

Total votes: 39

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

The Ban List

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

I've been on this shard for a LONG time I started in late 09.
In the time i've been here ive seen alot of players get banned for various things.
what im wondering is if we could clear the ban list or atleast take people off that were not actively cheating. (ie. EUO or other 3rd party)

Our community has become smaller...and most of these people have been banned over a year.
Is there any possibility they could get a second chance?
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: The Ban List

Post by Mens Rea »

Depends what they were banned for, imo.

Cheaters/Telamon = good riddance

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Bans vary from player to player.

Some bans are account-based, meaning the player is welcome to come back with fresh accounts (and assuming they halt whatever behavior was the reason for their account ban, eg: AFK resource gathering.) Whereas, some accounts are "person" based and as you can imagine are either permanent or have a long duration.

I for one feel that people should be given the chance to come back after a long break (6 months... 12 months), assuming the ban wasn't related to anything that would affect gameplay from a technical side. Some examples might include DDOS, crash houses, massive carpet/town bombing - anything that would actually impact the server's ability to exist.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:I for one feel that people should be given the chance to come back after a long break (6 months... 12 months)
...4 years

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:Bans vary from player to player.

Some bans are account-based, meaning the player is welcome to come back with fresh accounts (and assuming they halt whatever behavior was the reason for their account ban, eg: AFK resource gathering.) Whereas, some accounts are "person" based and as you can imagine are either permanent or have a long duration.

I for one feel that people should be given the chance to come back after a long break (6 months... 12 months), assuming the ban wasn't related to anything that would affect gameplay from a technical side. Some examples might include DDOS, crash houses, massive carpet/town bombing - anything that would actually impact the server's ability to exist.
I completely agree my only reasoning behind unbanning players was to give them an incentive to come back although there housing and such is gone they wouldn't have to start completely over.
players who intentionnally broke the game (ddos, crash houses etc) should remain banned.
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Mens Rea wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote:I for one feel that people should be given the chance to come back after a long break (6 months... 12 months)
...4 years
To my knowledge, you were unbanned within days of requesting it. I'm not sure how many times you had asked Derrick prior though but last month he forwarded me your request and you were unbanned.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Mens Rea wrote:
...4 years
To my knowledge, you were unbanned within days of requesting it. I'm not sure how many times you had asked Derrick prior though but last month he forwarded me your request and you were unbanned.
Haha I wasn't being critical, I never asked to be unbanned until the other day.

I merely completed your list of what might be construed as a "long break".

Everyone just calm down

Vega/Delo

Post by Vega/Delo »

How does one get Smit accounts unbanned? How long does it take canadians to get over things... Rose?

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Ive only been here a year, so my opinion means shit. But...

PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

Vega/Delo wrote:How does one get Smit accounts unbanned? How long does it take canadians to get over things... Rose?
I want my mask!
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Tara

Post by Tara »

I agree our community has become smaller, and people that have been banned for awhile over someting that was not affecting game play and/or cheating (i.e EU), should be allowed a second chance. However if they are a cronic plague on the game, then a perma ban should be in place.

It would be nice to have more vets back playing on the shard, as long as they play nice :D

DKS

Post by DKS »

Bring back Sandro and Co.!!!!

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

I believe in second chances…provided the proper remorse is shown. You don’t just unban everyone. You don’t just unban a group because their crimes were lower tier. If they want to come back, they can ask nicely and Boom can make the call. Basically the way Boom handled Mens Rea is probably the best route.

It happens via request. It happens if Boom has reasonable certainty they will follow the rules. I see no need to change it. The only reason to promote some other route is if you believe Boom can’t be impartial. From what I have seen in the year I’ve been here, he deserves our trust.

Not all crimes are the same, not everyone regrets those crimes with equal intensity. Humans are individualistic by nature. That type of variability isn’t easy to fold into a couple simple rules. They are best handled on a case by case basis which is what Boom is doing right now. As long as he isn’t overloaded, I see no need to change.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

morgan1109 wrote:the way Boom handled Mens Rea