Last Object Type for Stealing Wrong

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Re: Last Object Type for Stealing Wrong

Post by Faust »

Kraarug wrote: I know what you are saying Faust and I agree with you to a point.

What I am trying to point out is a severe imbalance caused by the ability to steal an object by object type. It creates a situation where stealing bandages, or reagents, or runes is not in keeping with Era accuracy.

It overpowers the stealing skill for combat and should be looked into.
I completely agree with you on this issue. However, this is not possible unless you force Razor to be verified through the server requiring it to be used. I honestly don't have a problem with that at all though. It would be very beneficial for era accuracy without a doubt.

UOE did not have the ability to target by type like this for the record.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Kraarug wrote:To find and target an object hidden the way I described you had to drag and drop the shield and quickly dbl click the pouch. Clearly something that required lag and some skill...and if you walked away, despite what you are saying below, without a UOE the pack would close and you were back to square one.
That or drag the item repeatedly and quickly over and over. Eventually it would disappear from your view and you could see what was underneath. I'd rather it was still that way. The graphics or whatever here are TOO good for that and no matter how much you pull an item in someone's pack here on UOSA, it always snaps right back into place. Not that it matters with the Steal By Type, but what can you do?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

EVeee wrote:
Kraarug wrote:To find and target an object hidden the way I described you had to drag and drop the shield and quickly dbl click the pouch. Clearly something that required lag and some skill...and if you walked away, despite what you are saying below, without a UOE the pack would close and you were back to square one.
That or drag the item repeatedly and quickly over and over. Eventually it would disappear from your view and you could see what was underneath. I'd rather it was still that way. The graphics or whatever here are TOO good for that and no matter how much you pull an item in someone's pack here on UOSA, it always snaps right back into place. Not that it matters with the Steal By Type, but what can you do?
That particular method could, if done properly, allow you to drill down any number of items and to a hidden pack. The reason it doesn't work on UOSA is because of the speed at which the snapback occurs. Here, it reports that the item is unmovable far more quickly here than it did on OSI servers (this has been mentioned to Derrick already so don't worry too much about it).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Kaivan wrote:That particular method could, if done properly, allow you to drill down any number of items and to a hidden pack. The reason it doesn't work on UOSA is because of the speed at which the snapback occurs. Here, it reports that the item is unmovable far more quickly here than it did on OSI servers (this has been mentioned to Derrick already so don't worry too much about it).
Oh yeah.... I see you're familiar with the method. :) I stole many very fine items hidden under stacks of drobes, spellbooks, and whatnot back in those days doing it. I guess there's no point in changing the "snapback" speed if we'll always be able to steal by type with Razor, but I'd be happy if it could be undone. Sometimes a little more challenge makes the victory a lot sweeter, ya know?

UnknownLord

Post by UnknownLord »

Scythe wrote:I doubt anyone connects to UOSA without Razor. I mean, the instructions to connect are with Razor, and I can't foresee anybody using anything other than Razor to connect with servers now that UOGateway is gone.

There are some features which should be disabled
Light Levels
Spell Format
Show Health above people/creatues
Auto-open doors
Auto-unequip hands before casting
Auto Un/Re-equip hands for potions
Force game size
Binding Macros to keys (Prevents macroed maneuvers in fighting, but allows macroing characters)
Scavenger
And the aforementioned Last Target - by type
Thats all fine except for "force game size". You should never be able to control how one veiws this game, After all, there is already tree hacks. Making screen size smaller will result in me thinking im playing a shitty internet browser game instead of a real game.

Also, about 99% of this shard would use Razor, havent met anyone on UO who hasent used razor in years and years.

About "auto unequipt", its very simple to hit "toggle hally" before using a spell / pot.

IMO they should block All targeting hotkeys. "target random red" "target closet friendly" etc..
-D- Dreadlord XII

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

EVeee wrote:

This still works, you just have to leet with your mouse skills. Also, when doing this on UOSA if you drag quickly enough the item you're looking for will snap to the top and the item you were dragging will go underneath, I made it passed 5 robes yesterday to get into a pouch.

Alex the Artist

Post by Alex the Artist »

Just curious if anything is planned for this issue. That is, thieves being able to steal by object type. This is way wrong and has gone on long enough. Is it even on the list of things to be fixed? Just curious.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The problem with any fix that is currently viable are the far reaching effects that any given fix has on the rest of the game. Razor in itself is considered fine for use in the rest of the game, so blocking its use at all would cause some severe shock waves to be felt in every other facet of game play. Ultimately that would be the only reasonable fix for the situation given the fact that we don't have any source code or ability to work with Razor itself to disallow targeting by type.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

jadedamion

Post by jadedamion »

Orsi wrote:I doubt anyone connects to UOSA without Razor. I mean, the instructions to connect are with Razor, and I can't foresee anybody using anything other than Razor to connect with servers now that UOGateway is gone.

There are some features which Binding Macros to keys (Prevents macroed maneuvers in fighting, but allows macroing characters)
Scavenger
should be disabled
Light Levels
Spell Format
Show Health above people/creatues
Auto-open doors
Auto-unequip hands before casting
Auto Un/Re-equip hands for potions
Force game size
And the aforementioned Last Target - by type
I SO agree with this

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

after reading this rezed thread basically all i hear is nerf thief's >_> we got enough nerfing, noobed house deeds? , snooping breaking stealth (not hide) is it really that hard to protect your backpack / self from thief's not really if you are smart enough to use lockboxs and other methods to secure items. On another note semi related i know quite a few people that don't use razor actual that insist on being old school maybe to macro skills they will use it but not for hotkeys / disabling light levels etc i honestly don't see how steal by type is a major issue considering all the other non accurate things that will never change Unattended macroing , events, 3 second hally hits off wrestling timer. How many active theifs are their really left i know i play mine that play the game out of town ? bank thieves are a joke and not a problem how many people really play their thief's in dungeons and the out of town area. I see this steal by type as just another thing that has changed with the times theirs somethings that are always going to be different such as ping and other razor features if we are going to start disallowing certain razor features then might as well disallow razor entirely >_> and if we start forcing razor features i will probably quit the shard and end my uo playing for good.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Daang...If you can last target by type then maybe I should resurrect my orc thief. Nothing like taking all yer black pearl while you are trying to kill me ;-)
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock