Trash Barrels

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Squeak

Trash Barrels

Post by Squeak »

In T2A, trash barrels could not be moved without destroying them with an axe first. This may seem like a petty fix suggestion, but it has big implications: such a fix would change how people secure their houses. They wouldn't be able to rely on abusing trash barrels. This would actually make house looting possible, like it so often happened in the T2A era.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Trash Barrels

Post by RoadKill »

Squeak wrote:In T2A, trash barrels could not be moved without destroying them with an axe first. This may seem like a petty fix suggestion, but it has big implications: such a fix would change how people secure their houses. They wouldn't be able to rely on abusing trash barrels. This would actually make house looting possible, like it so often happened in the T2A era.
I agree with the first half of this statement. I remember having to axe my trash barrel to move it, any contents within fell to the ground.

It wouldn't make any smart home owner's house more lootable, but I guess a lot of the newbies would suffer from such a change :shock:
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

I very much support the first half of this thread!

The way trash barrels works right now makes it more difficult to be a stealth camper. it also makes ghosts unable to go into houses (i dont believe original trash barrels stoped ghost movement). i want to know who makes a ghost proof trash can, i want me one of them!

I'm a hyprocrite though and I use this method of house security. can't beat um, join um.

OlmanRiver
Tekai
[broken image]

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Squeak wrote:In T2A, trash barrels could not be moved without destroying them with an axe first. This may seem like a petty fix suggestion, but it has big implications: such a fix would change how people secure their houses. They wouldn't be able to rely on abusing trash barrels. This would actually make house looting possible, like it so often happened in the T2A era.
Abusing trash barrels?

That's a very loaded statement.

This is one of the issues we have with the focus on late '99 mechanics but not the housing changes.

You see, in late '99 there were strong boxes and everything had to be locked down so there wasn't much need to use a trash barrel for security.

What you are wanting is to cherry pick between the hayday of house looting and removing other mechanics that would make it harder to house loot under the guise of 'being era accurate'.

I say if you take away my functioning trash barrel then give me my co-owers strong box. Then you can come in any time you'd like and find nothing to loot.... And you know what? That would be era accurate.

So.... do you really want this change?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

if its accurate make it so, i dont see this having any major impacts upon anything except making accurate one of those small nuances of t2a :D
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

People will just lock an axe down beside the Trashcan, or use the hally that 90% of them carry everywhere. Sounds fine to do away with the moving trashcans, it will be a shame to have to carry heavy items around in my house though, instead of using the barrel to teleport them.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I haven't had a chance to look this up, but perhaps someone else could, I was under the impression that trash barrels were "pre-cowners" and the newer housing system.

My appologies if I'm incorrect on this

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

People will just lock an axe down beside the Trashcan, or use the hally that 90% of them carry everywhere. Sounds fine to do away with the moving trashcans, it will be a shame to have to carry heavy items around in my house though, instead of using the barrel to teleport them.

I love you matron

~Bina
[broken image]

Squeak

Post by Squeak »

So what's the next step in getting trash barrels changed?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Squeak wrote:So what's the next step in getting trash barrels changed?
The steps? doing some research and proving when trash barrels were changed and, as Derrick suggests, establishing the timeline when co-owners were set up.

If this is something you want, then you need to do the work to prove it out. Just complaining and reciting something from memory isn't enough.

Squeak

Post by Squeak »

So I'm supposed to look at old patchnotes, right? Can you link where to find them?

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Squeak wrote:So I'm supposed to look at old patchnotes, right? Can you link where to find them?
They're at the top of the T2A Wiki. ;)

Squeak

Post by Squeak »

This, I believe, proves what I was saying about trash barrels. Also notice that it says only the OWNER can destroy the trash barrel--not coowners or friends. So not only should trash barrels be destroyed by using an axe, but they shouldn't even be removable by people who aren't the owner.

From: http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 02/24/1999

" * Trash barrels will be added.
* Owners can add a trash barrel to your house by saying, "I wish to place a trash barrel." It will appear at your feet.
* Placing a barrel obeys the same rules as locking down items in houses: not by the door, not on steps, etc.
* You can only have one trash barrel per house.
* The trash barrel looks like a silvery barrel.
* Owners and friends of the house can put items in the trash barrel. Three minutes after they do so, the item will be deleted. (This means you can change your mind and remove items if you need to).
* The owner of the house can chop up the barrel to get rid of it.
* Some line of sight changes were made to prevent 3rd party exploits. "

Eulogy

Post by Eulogy »

The patch note says that you use an axe to destroy the trash barrel, but it doesn't proove the suggested change.

Squeak

Post by Squeak »

You're nitpicking. We have the patchnote proof now, in tandem with the agreement among most of us about what I'm claiming.

What you're saying is essentially that the patchnotes don't say anywhere that you can't move trash barrels around without destroying them first. Well, I can't prove you wrong, because you're basing your argument on what you DON'T see in the patchnotes. The converse of your argument would then be, where does it say that you can move around trash barrels without destroying them?

Most of us have already agreed about what I claim. Our experience, I think, overrides the above predicament.