Newbie house deeds

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Zim

Newbie house deeds

Post by Zim »

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... atch_Notes

I remember most of my T2A time, the deeds were newbied, and the rest of what our era matches would agree. In addition, newbied deeds means we could get rid of a checks, and use house deeds as a means of "check"ing gold

April 14th update Apr 14 1999 11:01AM CST
House deeds that are purchased off of npcs will be considered newbie items. If you are a murderer and you die, a house deed will be left on your corpse. If you are not a murderer and you die, the deed will stay on your ghost character. If you set these items down, they will decay rapidly.

This with the removal of checks, would put us much closer to be a 99 T2A server.
The end of 99 brings us Strongboxs and the beginning of 2000 gives us house placement tools, item decay in houses and boats, and many other sores. The only thing from 2000 that is nice is the not-bugged pet/item/house trade windows. However, house's still had trade windows at the house, only pet transfers would suffer. Reputation would come into effect for pet sales.

Secure Pet Trading

Secure pet trading will allow players to sell or trade items for tamed animals and monsters using the trade window.

To trade a pet to another player the owner of the pet can:

Speak the words, “[pet name] Transfer”
A targeting cursor will appear. The pet owner can then target the person they wish to transfer the pet to.
A trade window will automatically appear.
The trade window will contain a deed in the current owner’s portion of the window. This deed will display the pet type and the pet’s name.
The other player may then place gold (or other items) into his portion of the window.
Once both participants have clicked the gems to agree to the trade, the pet will automatically be transferred to the new owner and the deed will delete itself.
If the transfer is cancelled, the deed deletes itself and all other items are returned to their owner.
We will also be making changes to the secure trading window to account for the amount and weight of items used in transfers and to stop any scams associated with the trade window. Information on this enhancement will be forthcoming.

Secure House Trading

Secure house trading will allow players to sell or trade items for houses using the trade window.

To trade a house to another player the owner of the house can:

Click the “transfer” button in the house options menu.
A targeting cursor will appear. The house owner can then target the person they wish to transfer the house to.
A trade window will automatically appear.
The trade window will contain a deed in the current owner’s portion of the window. This deed is not an actual house deed, but will display the name of the house, the house type, and the sextant coordinates of the house’s location.
The other player may then place gold (or other items) into his portion of the window.
Once both participants have clicked the gems to agree to the trade, the house will automatically be transferred to the new owner and the deed will delete itself.
If the transfer is cancelled, the deed deletes itself and all other items are returned to their owner.
You will not be able to transfer a house to a character that already owns a house using this method.
We will also be making changes to the secure trading window to account for the amount and weight of items used in transfers and to stop any scams associated with the trade window. Information on this enhancement will be forthcoming.

All these things forward are in the server, so newbie house deeds should be too.

New tinkering menu, pets, auto-stacking, and more. May 25 1999 9:41AM CST
Healing
Healing delays have been adjusted:
Healing someone else now takes 5 seconds. Healing yourself still takes 15 seconds.
Curing poison on someone else now takes 6 seconds. Curing it on yourself still takes 18 seconds.
The delay for resurrecting with the healing skill is now ten seconds.
The range for snooping will now be 1 tile.
Tailoring
Bandages will now automatically stack when you make them. There will also only be one type created (instead of two types that do not stack together, like now).
Using scissors on hides will make cut up leather which is lighter.

Potion Kegs Nov 23 1999 1:10PM CST

Potion Kegs

Potion Kegs will require the following items to make. An empty barrel, a barrel lid, a tap, and 10 empty potion bottles.

Empty barrels are created by carpenters using:

3 barrel staves (made by carpenters, requires 5 pieces of wood each).
1 set of hoops (made by tinkers, requires 5 iron ingots).
1 lid (made by carpenters, requires 4 pieces of wood).
Tinkers can then turn a regular barrel into a potion barrel with the following items:

1 empty barrel (made by carpenters as per the above method).
1 barrel tap (made by tinkers, requires 2 ingots).
1 barrel lid (made by carpenters, requires 4 pieces of wood).

Rune Books Nov 23 1999 1:12PM CST Rune Books

Rune Books are designed to help reduce the total number of runes in the game and to assist rune libraries with the lock down changes. Rune Books will allow players to keep far fewer runes in their bank boxes and houses while still being able to carry a regular rune when travelling outside of town.

Skill Management

In an effort to give players more control over their character’s skills we will be implementing a skill management system. To facilitate this management the skill menu will be changed in the following ways:

A toggle button will be added at the top of the menu. This toggle button will change the state of the menu so that it will show or hide your character’s unmodified skill numbers. This will allow you to see what your actual skill level is unmodified from stats.
A toggle button will be added next to each skill. This toggle button will have three states: "up", "down", and "stop". Skills marked "up" will rise normally and will never go down. Skills marked "down" will be candidates for atrophy. Skills marked "stop" will not go up or down, regardless of how often they are used.
A field will be added to the bottom of the skill menu that lists the character’s unmodified skill total. This will allow you to see how close you are to the skill cap (700).

Maker's Mark Nov 23 1999 2:40PM CST

Maker’s Marks

Some of the trade skills will be enhanced to allow for more flexibility and personalization of their wares. These enhancements will affect Tailors, Carpenters, Blacksmiths, and Tinkers.

In addition to Blacksmiths and Tailors – Bowcrafters, Carpenters and Tinkers will now be able to craft "exceptional" items.
Exceptional marking works as follows: As an example, an exceptional katana made by a non-Grandmaster smith or made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses not to put his makers mark, will now say, "a katana of exceptional quality". An exceptional katana made by a Grandmaster smith who chooses to place his maker's mark on it will say, "a katana crafted with exceptional quality by..." This will be true for all exceptional items.
When a Grandmaster creates an exceptional item, a window will appear asking if they wish to place their mark on the item. Selecting "okay" will place the creator’s name on the item when examined (single clicked). Selecting "cancel" will not put the maker's mark on the item.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Newbie house deeds

Post by tekai »

This has been gone over before.

Blessed house deeds would not work on this server, as people would just place a house at the sign of trouble and hide / logout.

Here are the accual patch notes in question http://update.uo.com/design_22.html.

this patch also brings about the removal of para-ganking which I attemptd to bring back in another thread and failed. This patch and acouple others are picked and choosed due to cheese tactics mentioned earlier, and server / client mechanics.
[broken image]

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

tekai wrote:Blessed house deeds would not work on this server, as people would just place a house at the sign of trouble and hide / logout.
This is indeed the reason for un-newbied house deeds. It's felt that on a shard with so much housing room, that noob'd house deeds would effect gameplay in a way that never could have existed on OSI at the time this OSI patch was implemented, due to the complete unavailability of housing space on OSI servers in 1999.

As our population increases, and available housing space decreases this concern may certainly decrease. Feel free to discuss further. I just wanted to explain the reason for the current case.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

The trade window will contain a deed in the current owner’s portion of the window.
This "deed" was identical to that of a transfered house during this time period. It was common to name an animal "a house ect.." and then open the transfer cursor and rename the animal back to it's original name, then issue a release command. When the person arrived to purchase the house, you would target them with the transfer(animal) cursor and quite literally, sell them a 50k chicken (or dog ect..).

Charles Darwin

Post by Charles Darwin »

In addition, newbied deeds means we could get rid of a checks, and use house deeds as a means of "check"ing gold
This is the key statement, I think... This would take away the serious burden that a lot of players have been expressing in the abolishment of checks discussion thread here; http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7490 This would also have been a real problem solver during T2A, 1999, gameplay.

So I'm curious now, and I understand this might be a little off topic, but... What do you all say we hold off on abolishing checks until we can implement newbied house deeds?

Zim

Post by Zim »

Derrick wrote:
tekai wrote:Blessed house deeds would not work on this server, as people would just place a house at the sign of trouble and hide / logout.
This is indeed the reason for un-newbied house deeds. It's felt that on a shard with so much housing room, that noob'd house deeds would effect game play in a way that never could have existed on OSI at the time this OSI patch was implemented, due to the complete unavailability of housing space on OSI servers in 1999.

As our population increases, and available housing space decreases this concern may certainly decrease. Feel free to discuss further. I just wanted to explain the reason for the current case.
^^^^^
Makes sense, but it is in era, and the removal of checks justify this ones implementation, so maybe combine the 2 era adjustments.

Housing is readily available, but in many places its becoming harder and harder. It isn't newbied/blessed for a murderer, so yes blues/chaos/order could easily use this to their advantage I suppose, but their death usually doesn't carry that much of a loss compared to a murderers.

Also paralyze should be a murder count spell.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I sorta remember the first "House transfer window" looking like a blank scroll and not some icy blue thing.

Anyone else? You could also trade houses from further than "2 tiles from the sign" There was a common scam where you'd place a small house next to a tower and transfer them the house instead of the tower.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Pro

Post by Pro »

RoadKill wrote:I sorta remember the first "House transfer window" looking like a blank scroll and not some icy blue thing.

Anyone else? You could also trade houses from further than "2 tiles from the sign" There was a common scam where you'd place a small house next to a tower and transfer them the house instead of the tower.

change the deed colour fair enough changing the limit on distance will just end up being sort of gay as no one will buy houses anymore due to fear of scammage

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Markmosthandsome wrote:
RoadKill wrote:I sorta remember the first "House transfer window" looking like a blank scroll and not some icy blue thing.

change the deed colour fair enough changing the limit on distance will just end up being sort of gay as no one will buy houses anymore due to fear of scammage
The deed had the house coordinates on it when single clicked, it was still secure.

Pro

Post by Pro »

oh i c.

but then it just works against new people which tbh is never a good thing. I think the current system is fine.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Terrible idea. Both systems were in place during the era, and the current system doesn't have the inaccurate problems associated with having everyone running around with a newbified house deed (E.G., placing a house in pvp to avoid combat). This latter problem is my main concern =\.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Okay,

I've had a problem with this for awhile because it's not era accurate.

Using the above cited patch and this one

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 09/01/1999
Ultima Online: The Second Age Patch Notes for 09/01/1999

These are official patch notes from the release of Ultima Online: The Second Age. These patch notes are were found at [1].

Mini-Update Sep 1 1999 7:36PM CST

The following changes will be in effect after the shards come back from their daily maintenance.

* Characters that are flagged as criminals or aggressors will no longer be able to instantly log out of the game while in their house or in an inn.
* Murderers (reds) who are not flagged as criminals or aggressors will be able to instantly log out of the game while in their house or in an inn.
* A bug involving the Reactive Armor Spell will be fixed.
* The Reactive Armor spell will be reactivated.
* "Young" players will not be able to loot player corpses at all.
* "Young" players will not be able to poison another player with a poisoned weapon.
* Issues involving veteran accounts and “Young” player status will be fixed.
* NPCs will no longer move at a faster than normal rate.
* Chests that spawn items will no longer produce spellbooks.
* Transferring a pet will no longer result in the pet going wild.
It proves that newbied house deeds were indeed era accurate mechanics and DISPROVES the often cited 'cheese tactic' for PvP.

Why is that?

Well, because an aggressor had to wait 2 mins to log out... new house or not. So... the idea that someone could just 'plop down a house and log' is not valid.

Secondly, this tactic of dropping a house to avoid combat certainly didn't happen during T2A why? Because there was no place to put a house easily.

Maybe on the free player run shard world this existed but it shouldn't have with the patch from 9.1.99 in effect.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I would be more concerned with planting and banning not logging...

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Even so, but the frustration of fighting someone who somehow drops a house...which is becoming increasingly difficult... to loosing your deed upon death or stealing certainly can not be out weight by the importantce of era accuracy.

This shard doesn't make decisions based solely on frustration or the lack of it, so the case should be pretty simple. The trumpting argument is Era Accuracy.
  • Era Accuracy Argument for Newbied House Deeds:

Are newbied deeds T2A Era Accurate? YES
    Do they fall within the later stages of T2A? YES, 9.1.99 they were pactched in.
So, based upon those two facts, especially the latter because it is the time periord in T2A that we are basing most other mechanisms, I support making these deeds newbied thus unstealable and remains on a person after death.
  • Supporting Argument for Newbied House Deeds:

With Razor and target by last item type it just makes them too easy to steal.
Now, personally, I have nothing to gain. I've placed all the houses I can and you certainly will not see any of the characters I play trying to drop a house for safety.

But like the trash barrel fix we are about to see, the goal of this shard is to create a T2A accurate replication and thus this feature should be part of it for the reasons stated above.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I really don't see this being an issue personally. However, just stating in the situation that you mentioned. If it were me the issue would mainly be planting and banning not logging. :wink:

Fixing this issue would be fine with me. I don't think it would end up being that big of an issue in reality. If someone is pathetic enough to do this while in the field they are already probably being a gimp in most situations.