Taming and Unattended Resource Gathering

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Taming and Unattended Resource Gathering

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

With all this talk of enticement let me tell you how tamers gate in with their dragons drop them off, let them kill everything in sight while they are somewhere else...probably with another group of dragons that are farming somewhere else...then come back and collect and if they find any one looting corpses with seemingly masterless dragons they do an instakill turning all of them on you at once.
Why dont we talk about that? Let's talk about them not allowing anyone to hunt anything that spawns in spots they horde for themselves.
The only thing that differs between this and enticement is they control the beasts to a greater extent wont be attacked by them and they make fat loot that way and makes it so no one else is able to hunt there. And the fact that when they tame them they get a respawn and can do this forever and get more powerful with each respawn.
Maybe we should limit the amount of pets that can be stabled and controlled?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Taming and Unattended Resource Gathering

Post by Hemperor »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:With all this talk of enticement let me tell you how tamers gate in with their dragons drop them off, let them kill everything in sight while they are somewhere else...probably with another group of dragons that are farming somewhere else...then come back and collect and if they find any one looting corpses with seemingly masterless dragons they do an instakill turning all of them on you at once.
Why dont we talk about that? Let's talk about them not allowing anyone to hunt anything that spawns in spots they horde for themselves.
The only thing that differs between this and enticement is they control the beasts to a greater extent wont be attacked by them and they make fat loot that way and makes it so no one else is able to hunt there. And the fact that when they tame them they get a respawn and can do this forever and get more powerful with each respawn.
That wouldn't be accurate.

Currently it is probably a lot easier here for tamers then it was in era due simply to population. I know I and majority of the shard try and make most of every opportunity to grief and kill pets of tamers for this simple fact. Not sure why you titled this "unattended resource gathering" as well, but if you are interested in that discussion I can link you an older topic where the majority of the shard spoke out against it and still there are a select few that continue to abuse it.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Oh so there isnt a must have so many pet control slots open to cast this spell in spellbook?
BS
Enticement is accurate removing it is inaccurate might as well do herding too.
Might as well go and get rid of all but crafting skills until you start complaining about how the economy is bad having everyone be a crafer.
I guess its unattended resource gathering if you leave your pets unattended and go all over come back and collect. Same thing as any other auto macro except you dont need programming its in game mechanics
I GMed enticement, I have not been using it to kill people or keep spawns out of areas. Someone suggested it be removed. That wouldnt be accurate. Removing that would be like removing theivery and then you might as well remove PVP,townkilling, trapped boxes etc to make all the whiners happy.
We all need to adapt. This isnt supposed to be the same stroll in the park everyday.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I understand the frustration of being involved in some of the discussions on this shard, however you are going about it in the wrong manner. Making a rage post with no real point because enticement is due to be changed can only hurt your cause further, people will begin to skip over your posts.

Continue your discussions of enticement in the appropriate topic, do some research. I don't think Stratics has much to offer on enticement however if gating monsters was possible you may want to search through the usenet group (I have already but only briefly).

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

yeah right...
How many people complain about the number of pets you can stable and own? And if they exploit a mechanic they shouldnt complain when one is exploited.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Good to see you took my suggestion!

usenet prevails in situations like this!

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:With all this talk of enticement let me tell you how tamers gate in with their dragons drop them off, let them kill everything in sight while they are somewhere else...probably with another group of dragons that are farming somewhere else...then come back and collect and if they find any one looting corpses with seemingly masterless dragons they do an instakill turning all of them on you at once.

The man is right... you are going about your idea the wrong way. What I am reading of yours is not very constructive or productive.

This also does not fall under unattended resource gathering. Unattended resource gathering means you have a script that has your character go around and gather things used to gain skill (i.e. ingots, boards, etc.) All of this while you are not even sitting at the computer(or maybe you are but you are doing something else WITH another account or maybe just surfing the net not really paying attention).

In your example, it is ok for a person to take their dragons to a dungeon, and leave them there.. then come back to retrieve the loot(after all they are risking their dragons and risking the loot of the monsters the dragons have killed). Unattended in this sense to me means you are not even controlling your character to gain resources.

There are major gray areas with this discussion if you look around at other posts

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Tamers + Unattended Gathering.

You want to talk about it? Technically anyone macroing at the Hell Hounds AFK is breaking the unattended resource gathering rule. You are killing monsters which drop gold. Even if you don't loot the gold, you are creating resources unattended (this is similar to the lumberjacker or miner that macros but drops his resources. This is illegal too I believe)

Discussion back on topic I do believe...
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

RoadKill wrote:Tamers + Unattended Gathering.

You want to talk about it? Technically anyone macroing at the Hell Hounds AFK is breaking the unattended resource gathering rule. You are killing monsters which drop gold. Even if you don't loot the gold, you are creating resources unattended (this is similar to the lumberjacker or miner that macros but drops his resources. This is illegal too I believe)

Discussion back on topic I do believe...
You're absolutely right RoadKill, I made hell hounds a frequent pk spot of mine, everytime I kill one of them they got roughly 1-2k on them while being AFK. I think this should be bannable IMO. There's not much you can do about tamers leaving dragons somewhere etc. It's not like they're auto-looting the corpses, they're still in-game (not Away From Keyboard).
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

*Unattended resource gathering means you have a script that has your character go around and gather things used to gain skill (i.e. ingots, boards, etc.)

though its a weak arguement one could claim that the AI of the mob is the "script" and the "client" the program .

This would of been fine to do on OSI seeing you were not running any other programs other then UO and from my understanding thats the only rule they had in place about this area (i think you could use uo assist)

however here we let you run other programs (to a limit) however we do not allow unattened resource gathering ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

So the programming allows it and it follows game mechanics...I will leave it at that. Good point.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I think you guys would be more upset at the people that resource gather on 3 clients or more and claim they aren't afk.

They certainly aren't active on more than one client, IMO resource gathering on more than one client should be illegal.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

I'd say the cash and magic items being pumped into the economy by heavy tamer/bard farming worries me the most. It heavily inflates the economy, yet craftables don't rise in cost. Why? Aside from the mass magic weapons, there are some strange numb skulls on the server that will sell at almost nothing just to make cyber "friends". To the vast majority though, this is an ideal situation. Lots of gold, lots of magics, cheap crafter labor.

However, crafting is most negatively affected by this type of server set up. That is, a smaller shard full of vets. Less to sell to and more people pushing self-sufficiency and isolation rather than community. I'm not saying it is the end of the world, just sharing my concerns:
  • 1. Unattended resource gathering is a problem, and people do get caught time to time.

2. Over farming on the server is a problem, and nobody ever really mentions the effect this has because too many people have their hands in that very pot.

3. Whether a person can type on 3 resource gathering accounts at the same time, not really a ground breaking issue.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Daolin wrote:I'd say the cash and magic items being pumped into the economy by heavy tamer/bard farming worries me the most. It heavily inflates the economy, yet craftables don't rise in cost. Why? Aside from the mass magic weapons, there are some strange numb skulls on the server that will sell at almost nothing just to make cyber "friends". To the vast majority though, this is an ideal situation. Lots of gold, lots of magics, cheap crafter labor.

However, crafting is most negatively affected by this type of server set up. That is, a smaller shard full of vets. Less to sell to and more people pushing self-sufficiency and isolation rather than community. I'm not saying it is the end of the world, just sharing my concerns:
  • 1. Unattended resource gathering is a problem, and people do get caught time to time.

2. Over farming on the server is a problem, and nobody ever really mentions the effect this has because too many people have their hands in that very pot.

3. Whether a person can type on 3 resource gathering accounts at the same time, not really a ground breaking issue.
I'd say on your opinion on the matter is worth just about nothing because I know you are one of the biggest (if not the biggest) offenders when it comes to multi clienting resource gathering. Creating something out of nothing at 3x the rate with zero risk is a ground breaking issue.

Farming monsters with a template that took hundreds of hours to make and even more taming the animals in high risk situations is playing the game.

Two very, very different situations.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

risk is always present in UO very few places you are really safe (if one can even say that)

however there are things built into UO to help reduce the risk for players that choice to use them .. in this case taming what in high risk ( i don't have a tamer nor do i claim to) but if it takes alot of time to tame dragons etc my first thought would be to remove it from the area they are in .. and seeing i've had to kill ALL KINDS of wild (untamed and untameable) mobs on Justice Island i'd say it can be done .. and with some ease if you know what your doing.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy