The difficulties in recreating 1999 by being Era Accurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Slaygrim

The difficulties in recreating 1999 by being Era Accurate

Post by Slaygrim »

This is NOT a complaint, nor am I suggesting anything be changed. I am merely commenting on this.

There is one big difference in playing on this server to playing in 1999 T2A, which was (if I am correct) the goal of this server, to recreate the best time most of us ever had on UO. The problem isn't the rules or the era accuracy. It's us. The average UO player on here is far above and beyond the average UO player in 1999. Even those of us who "suck" compared to other players in here in regards to PVP or even farming, we're still on average far superior to players back then. We know all the tricks/short cuts or can find them very easily. Razor allows us to manipulate macroing much more effectively than the old school macroing system of EZ Macro. In other words, the players here have a far more advanced knowledge of the game play and how to manipulate it to be about as effective as you can be. This creates an environment that is vastly different than it was in 1999 T2A, so that even if the rule-set is identicle the game play will not be.

Just an observation, I am not complaining or suggesting any change. What do you guys think? Am I making a correct observation or am I off base?

Faust

Re: The difficulties in recreating 1999 by being Era Accurate

Post by Faust »

This has always been a common conensus among the playerbase of free Pre:UOR shards. You will never re-create an individual's experience no matter what you do... The only thing that you can re-create is the game mechanics that existed to hand out new experiences. For example, the guilds and players that I played with on Baja created a unique social environment that ONLY existed there. This will never happen here no matter what... There are too many people that look for this type of nostalgic moments when they venture to these shards. No matter what this type of experience will never happen...

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Faust wrote:This has always been a common conensus among the playerbase of free Pre:UOR shards. You will never re-create an individual's experience no matter what you do... The only thing that you can re-create is the game mechanics that existed to hand out new experiences. For example, the guilds and players that I played with on Baja created a unique social environment that ONLY existed there. This will never happen here no matter what... There are too many people that look for this type of nostalgic moments when they venture to these shards. No matter what this type of experience will never happen...
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

About Faust's comment, he is right. You can never re-create things exactly the way things use to be. It was captured best, imho, by James Agee in A Death in the Family, ""How far we all come. How far we all come away from ourselves. You can never go home again.".

Having said that though, it may be true that I don't see the population I saw on Chessy in 1999 and I certainly don't see my friends online like I did then. I don't get to talk to them at breaks at work about what we did or what we are about to do, but I have had new adventures with new friends and a new guild.

So, although Derrick can't recreate Chessy from 1999, he is creating a game that hasn't existed since then and for that I commend him.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

Faust mentioned somewhere in another thread resitricting razor server side. Im all for this, possibly allow skill related macro scripts, restock/scavanger agents, display/counters and arm/dress but nothing else.

Pee vee pee would then be about skill, not who has the biggest and best macro set ups.
?

Faust

Post by Faust »

I am still a huge advocate for the addition of the Razor script to reduce inaccurate related 3rd party features that didn't exist back then on all 3rd party applications...

I have developed macros that are out of this world that I don't even want to mention out of fear that some people will catch on and abuse it. The majority of the people here honestly don't understand how serious and damaging this program is for a Pre:UOR shard.

The addition of this script would be very beneficial to the shard making an overall better experience for each and every person here.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Being era accurate with an evolved playstyle is tight! Back then it was largely a teenage young adult population that predominated over youngsters which played Now you have a large adult playerbase that are making grand shemes and are utilizing every aspect not before explored in UO. You might call that a problem I call it adaptation,evolution,and critical thinking which has surpassed anything done in UO before.
To me thats awesome, and when any of you brainstorm or come up with something new that has never been done before, never been tried and implemented...well your going to be my new idol for at least a week. You might want to see what GM cooking with GM Posioning can do, there might be a secret tucked there etc. Who knows really?
Something old somethings new....
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Faust wrote:I am still a huge advocate for the addition of the Razor script to reduce inaccurate related 3rd party features that didn't exist back then on all 3rd party applications...

I have developed macros that are out of this world that I don't even want to mention out of fear that some people will catch on and abuse it. The majority of the people here honestly don't understand how serious and damaging this program is for a Pre:UOR shard.

The addition of this script would be very beneficial to the shard making an overall better experience for each and every person here.

Agreed