Era map

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Era map

Post by Hemperor »

Why aren't we using a map file accurate to the era? Certain rocks, brushels etc. should not be able to be walked over and there are some other slight changes.

Putting this up server side would make these things impassable, not sure how many things were actually changed (if many at all) but players would be able to download the map file off the site.

Easy to incorporate.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Era map

Post by Kaivan »

In reality no rocks, brambles or saplings should be passable. The problem with this is the fact that the client doesn't know that these sorts of items are supposed to be impassible. The result is that every time you would attempt to pass these items at an angle or pass straight over them, you would rubber band back off of the item and be stuck in place. For those that remember the twigs from OSI servers on the Fellucia map that would snag a player during UOR, the effect here would be several times worse with the introduction of movement blocking with rocks and other associated obstacles. The solution to the problem is also not a very easy one. The core functionality of RunUO would need to be rewritten to support clients before 4.0 in order to make this a viable change. Given the enormity of a task like that, there isn't much likelihood of this changing any time soon.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kaivan wrote:The result is that every time you would attempt to pass these items at an angle or pass straight over them, you would rubber band back off of the item and be stuck in place.
I believe this is how the test server currently is; I cannot run through the woods without having to zigzag, walk backwards, or change direction every 3 seconds.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

That's very true, the current setup on test center is the result we would have without proper client knowledge of the fact that these items were impassible.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Kaivan wrote:That's very true, the current setup on test center is the result we would have without proper client knowledge of the fact that these items were impassible.
I think the test center issue is that we don't have the map file that the test center is running on...

Another RunUO shard has an older map file (pre-t2a) and offers the map to the players and it works fine.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

I think while this would be easy enough to do, set up a download for T2A era Map, Client, gump files etc, I belive derrick wants to make it as easy as possible for players to download & log into the server, without having to download, extract & install new maps, gumps, muls, clients etc, though that raises a point of why this is not all included in the patch we have to do prior to playing secondage after the download?
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Running around on test center makes me want to kill myself. It would be fine if it wasnt rubber-band like.

If you want to see the difference try walking over a small table and a potion keg. The potion keg is INFINITELY more frustrating to step on.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye, we have the UODemo map loaded on test center. It was for testing and never got switched back, I'll make a note to do that

The simple answer to the initial question is there are just far too many map differences. It easy for some but not all to just download the era map files and stick them in the UO folder, but we want to shard to be accessible to players who don't want to or don't have the skill set to jump though those hoops. Our intent is to at least provide reasonable support for the latest OSI version client.

While we would like to also support the older clients there is going to be a huge barrier in getting that implemented for reasons cited above. If we have to choose, I think a mid 5.x client is the most logical for now; it has some glaring differences in some areas, but way less so than 6.x, yet 6.x client maps still work in 95% of the areas.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

download uosa.exe (5mb~ file)

run uosa.exe

play uosecondage.

who doesn't have the skills to perform this these days? How did they manage to get Razor and UO then?