Vendors paying peanuts for GM weps?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
poogoblin

Vendors paying peanuts for GM weps?

Post by poogoblin »

I've looked at some past posts and saw that people were selling player mad kats to vendors then buying helms and smelting those for a higher return rate on ingots.

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 09/22/1999
patch wrote:I'm guessing that's why the change was made, I am curious why we didn't just make vendor material smelt 1 ingots.

Sept. 22nd Publish Sep 22 1999 4:27PM CST

The following features and fixes were included in the Sept. 22nd publish:

Smelting

* Armor and weapons can be smelted back into ingots.
* Items you wish to smelt must be in your back-pack.
* Smelting will be tied to the mining skill. The higher your skill in mining, the more ingots you will get back.
* The more wear and tear on an item, the less ingots it will return.
* Items purchased from an NPC will yield only one ingot when smelted.
Was this patch missed or to do this instead would it have been a coding nightmare?

Along the same lines is a gold cycle the reason bolts of cloth are 120gp instead of 50gp?

Thanks for all the hard work Derrick.

Derrick

Re: Vendors paying peanuts for GM weps?

Post by Derrick »

Store bought items do only return one ingot. But this has only been in place for 5 or 6 months.

All the vendor prices were taken from statics or the demo. I'll have to check the bolts of cloth.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

poogoblin

Re: Vendors paying peanuts for GM weps?

Post by poogoblin »

Derrick wrote:Store bought items do only return one ingot. But this has only been in place for 5 or 6 months.

All the vendor prices were taken from statics or the demo. I'll have to check the bolts of cloth.
Ok wasn't 100% sure on the GM weapon prices, it just seemed low.

Here's the Cloth patch (although I'm not exactly sure what the word "around" means)
patch wrote: Ultima Online Patch Notes for 02/27/1998

* The harm spell (including on wands) will no longer ignore armor.
* A fix for timewarps has been put in place.
* Stats gained or lost from timewarps will return to their normal state.
* There are some changes to the raw materials of tailoring that go along with their new stackable nature:
o A bolt of cloth will be 50 yards of cloth, cost around 50gp, and weigh 5 stones.
o Folded cloth, cut cloth, etc, will now be one yard, cost around 1gp, and weigh 1/10th of a stone.
o Both are stackable.
o When tailoring on a bolt, any remaining yardage will be changed into a stack of folded cloth yards. An example: Tailor Joe makes a shirt that requires 8 cloth from a stack of 5 bolts. It will deduct the 8 from the 50 yards from one bolt. That remaining 42 yard will then be converted into cut cloth (ie. a stack of 42 yards of cut cloth). That will leave tailor Joe with 4 full bolts and a stack of cloth (42 yards).

Also if you take a look at the rate of return it looks like it assumes 1 piece of cloth=1gp (a fancy dress takes 12 cloth to make, it sells for 12 gp and the rate of return on this is 1.00. Skull cap takes 2 cloth to make sells for 6gp and has a return of 3.00). This would make sense if 1 bolt (50cloth) cost 50gp.

http://web.archive.org/web/199901250924 ... atics.com/

(go to the tailoring skill section if it doesn't go straight to it)

With leather not being meddable the price of bolts:fancy shirt ratio was one of the few ways a tailor could make a buck.