Do you enjoy the pvp mechanics of uosecondage?

Topics related to Second Age

Do you find the uosa pvp mechanics fun?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 166

jamieirl

Re: Do you enjoy the pvp mechanics of uosecondage?

Post by jamieirl »

First let me say that I like the server a lot. I've played off and on here since middle 2008. I voted no on liking the pvp. I did play during preuor but I did not pay attention to the pvp mechanics as I do now, so when it comes to era accuracy all I remember is that there was precast and everyone used hallys. I guess I was too busy trying to stay alive to have any idea how swing timers worked. One thing I do remember being different than it is on UOSA is horse stamina. Horses lost stamina rather quickly, and while I know there have been some adjustments to horse stamina on UOSA I ran around just yesterday full speed around the map for quite a while without my horse getting fatigued. Horse stamina played a big role in pvp when horses actually had a stamina limit.

To be more specific why I don't like the pvp mechanics; as it is right now it feels like hally vs hally pvp. Not to say that it doesn't take skill because it clearly does, the best people win consistently as it should be. With the long spell delays and the awkward swing timers it doesn't seem like there's much room for anything other than getting the upper hand with your hally hits. The only "combo" I see is the occasional explosion followed by a harm or a debuff then followed by an ebolt. A combo that has been around for a very long time. I preferred the pvp mechanics on UOSA in 2008, era accurate or not. Even then when I was the number one dueler (Hiro Protagonist still in the books) I didn't like it very much. To sum it up, I think it's too slow paced and there's not much outside of hally hits to pay attention to.

One more thing that is pvp related is no spell damage in town. Yes I realize that this was how it was and I actually think it's a cool thing to a certain extent. It allows the "townie" to exist which I think is at least a little bit cool. The problem is (and correct me if I'm wrong) there's no town (with guards) that allows spell damage. I don't know about the shards you guys played but on Napa Valley during preuor spell damage was allowed in Vesper. This made Vesper a guild vs guild hotspot, here you're limited to dungeons, brit gy, bucs. Not that there's anything wrong with those places but having guild fights in town is my favorite. I'm always surprised how little guild vs guild pvp I see on UOSA considering the population. Yes there is pvp taking place but where is the guild pride vs guild pride? Granted I'm not active at all these days but when I do log on it's mostly reds and randoms with the occasional TG consisting of one mage and two dexers.

UOSA has succeeded where it intended to, era accuracy. So if the powers that be believe that they have it right then I think they should just keep it as it is for the most part. Having a town that allows magery damage and taking a better look at horse stamina probably wouldn't hurt, but do people even want their horses to run out ot stamina? I don't know. As for spell delays and swing timers, like I said I didn't pay much attention to that during the era, so I have to leave that to the experts, whether I think it's fun or not.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Hemperor wrote:IMO the mount fatigue actually sounds fun, you have a chance to attack/poison someone's horse hopefully during the time they have to say "all follow me". I'm going to assume that there is an action delay on mounting and dismounting?
As I've mentioned in another thread, remounting your horse should not be possible when it's attacked.. if horse stamina and this patch were put in place, people would have to be careful about zipping around too much.

either that or use a split second razor macro which avoids getting the horse attacked in the first place (more likely)
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I noticed that horses will let you back on them, even after someone attacks it. I dont recall that being accurate. If someone attacked your horse, you were hoofing it.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I voted yes.

While I do agree that we still need to fine tune pvp, as it's not PERFECT. It is pretty damn close to the era, and that's what I want in pvp.

UOSA's pvp is good because the spell delays are needed so you can't do cheesy insta 3,2,1 dumps like Divinity, IPY, Hybrid ect.

Whoever said "there isn't much room for anything" is seriously mistaken. UOSA's pvp leaves more room open for tactics and strategys that other shards don't(IPY, Divinity ect.).

Delays are a must, it's so the person has to think before doing. Not do, then decide "oh I would rather cast this" and then do so without a delay for their mistake.

IMO Gm hally dmg could be more consistant, but that's it. As long as you're using a force+ weapon, agility pots, red pots then field pvp is fun and great. 1v1, 2v2 or whatever.

It's the 1v1 tourneys(without pots and using GM weapons) that make mage 1v1 a drag.

I know there's a few things we can change to make pvp more accurate and better, but at this moment the pvp is good and the biggest problem is getting people to pvp and not run. It takes time to learn UOSA's pvp and more time to master it, people who already are good/been playing a while have a huge advantage.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

pvp is fine ;/
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Faust

Post by Faust »

The only major game mechanic left with a discrepancy that will effect pvp is the swing timer. There are a few other minor issues such as equip casting, action delay, and the spell disruption delay that must be addressed along with the timer. However, the majority of the game mechanics that make an impact on pvp is precise with the era that is being replicated. Hopefully these will be fixed soon though.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Let's get that new no-overtly-fast-refreshing swing timer in motion!

PvP here is great. I like the delay's for the same reasons that Psilo stated.

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Here's a question. I realize that this server kind of picks & chooses from different portions of T2A and what I am about to suggest definetly occured during T2A.

By the end of T2A, I know for a fact that pre-casting was gone. I'm sure most of you remember that as well. I remember at the time being really pissed off that they were removing Pre-Casting. But I also remember later on thinking that it actually helped PvP. It prevented that Pre-Cast heal crap and forced people to better time there combo's & disrupts. Just a thought.... T2A combat system with or without pre-casting is still light years better than anything else.

Also, while I have no proof. Reactive Armor flat out does not work right on this server. In T2A, RA was "designed" to reflect a portion of melee damage back on to a target. But how it actually worked was it would reflect "close in" (1 tile) damage back on to your target. I made a career out of doing this by running in next to mages when they dumped & reflect some of their damage of their spells back on to them & it made it look like I resisted most of there spells when I didn't. I did this through most of my career in T2A so I am confident that this was how RA worked during most of T2A. When or where it was changed I couldn't tell you. But how it is on this server right now doesn't seem right to me. But that was my signature move and I'll be the 1st to admit I abused the crap out of it. ;)

My 2 beefs.

Also, does anyone know off the top of their heads what month Siege Perilous opened?
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The RA issue should be raised as a new thread in Suggestions and Era Accuracy, I'm very interested.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Having recently checked the spell scripts (as in the last 2 days), I can confirm that no check is made in the scripts for the reactive armor script at any time, and it does not function this way in the demo.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Kaivan wrote:Having recently checked the spell scripts (as in the last 2 days), I can confirm that no check is made in the scripts for the reactive armor script at any time, and it does not function this way in the demo.

I have no idea what that means? lol Sorry. Are you saying that RA does not function the way I am describing in the demo? (Whatever the demo is).
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

jamieirl

Post by jamieirl »

Psilo wrote:I voted yes.

While I do agree that we still need to fine tune pvp, as it's not PERFECT. It is pretty damn close to the era, and that's what I want in pvp.

UOSA's pvp is good because the spell delays are needed so you can't do cheesy insta 3,2,1 dumps like Divinity, IPY, Hybrid ect.

Whoever said "there isn't much room for anything" is seriously mistaken. UOSA's pvp leaves more room open for tactics and strategys that other shards don't(IPY, Divinity ect.).

Delays are a must, it's so the person has to think before doing. Not do, then decide "oh I would rather cast this" and then do so without a delay for their mistake.

IMO Gm hally dmg could be more consistant, but that's it. As long as you're using a force+ weapon, agility pots, red pots then field pvp is fun and great. 1v1, 2v2 or whatever.

It's the 1v1 tourneys(without pots and using GM weapons) that make mage 1v1 a drag.

I know there's a few things we can change to make pvp more accurate and better, but at this moment the pvp is good and the biggest problem is getting people to pvp and not run. It takes time to learn UOSA's pvp and more time to master it, people who already are good/been playing a while have a huge advantage.
I don't have a problem with the field pvp (other than the lack of pvp taking place and the lack of horse stamina resulting in marathons), but yes "chessy 3-2-1" dumps are still just as possible as anywhere else. The only difference is that they are typically easier to heal through. When you have explosion casted already and hold it for whatever amount of time it takes, you cast your ebolt instantly after releasing your explosion. Maybe you meant damage delay, not spell delay.

As for this; "UOSA's pvp leaves more room open for tactics and strategys that other shards don't(IPY, Divinity ect.)." like what? I know you can't possibly be talking about 1v1 because I've participated in more than enough 1v1s on UOSA to see that it's more weapon based than any server I've ever played. Actually casting spells is entirely secondary in mage fights. The most important thing is that you're on top of your hally swings. Field, maybe? I don't see it there either, what "tactics and strategys" are available on UOSA that aren't on other shards. Don't take what I'm saying here as a UOSA vs other shards nerd.post. I don't even play any other shards atm, and I barely play UOSA. I think uosa is a great server, but it is my opinion that the pvp is lacking and I think I've explained why. I base my opinions off of being a pvper who pays close attention to the way pvp works on every shard I play, since many moons ago.

Just because I'm saying that I don't like the pvp here doesn't mean that it's wrong, Derrick has shown time and again that he's most concerned with era accuracy so you shouldn't worry about people not liking the pvp here. If you like it and it's era accurate you're all set because it's probably not going anywhere. The fact remains though that a significant amount of people don't like the pvp here. That doesn't mean that they have to be LEETDEWDS, it just means they don't like the pvp here for whatever reason. It doesn't really matter what the reason is (unless you're Derrick&friends and you're looking for feedback I suppose). If people don't like it, people dont like it, call it whatever you want. The fact that half of the people voted no, on a forum for the server itself, says that I'm not alone. Obviously this poll has a lot of bias considering it's asking the players that play here if they like an aspect of playing here. Half of them saying no says something, I'd say. \

This came out longer than I planned, that's what happens when I'm at school "studying".

Geryon

Post by Geryon »

Faust wrote:The only major game mechanic left with a discrepancy that will effect pvp is the swing timer. There are a few other minor issues such as equip casting, action delay, and the spell disruption delay that must be addressed along with the timer. However, the majority of the game mechanics that make an impact on pvp is precise with the era that is being replicated. Hopefully these will be fixed soon though.
So horse fatigue will not be addressed? That's unfortunate if so.
People with unlimited horse stamina is one of the most annoying things about this servers pvp.

Kylock

Post by Kylock »

No.

Wild damage range on hally hits. Seems from 1dmg -> 40ish dmg.

People spamming attacklast is ridiculous.
I don't remember that happening at all.

Domnu

Post by Domnu »

I don't enjoy the mechanics at all. I do, however, enjoy the population here. Also, the staff is great.

There are a number of aspects of this server (mechanics among them) that are thoroughly discouraging of anything resembling organized PvP, which I'm disappointed about. Great server, though.