Tank Mage: maces or swords?

Topics related to Second Age
Castan

Tank Mage: maces or swords?

Post by Castan »

Hi all
What do you recommend for my tank mage? mace fight and quarter staff or sword and halberd? and why?

Pro

Re: Tank Mage: maces or swords?

Post by Pro »

swords, warhammer got nerfed ;[

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm not aware of this. How did warhammers get nerfed?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Pro

Post by Pro »

one day their damage owned, week later it sucked. I just made the assumption.

Redrumsback

Post by Redrumsback »

yes war hammers are grossly underpowered... they were hitting very well... now they hit horribly. I found this to be an odd occurrence as well

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The only damage change to warhammer was on Mar 9 (or slightly thereafter), when we went from straight random damage, old damage was 8-36, and it changed to 7d5+1 (also 8-36)

The only other changes that would have effected damages would have effected all weapons and not war hammers alone, such as the correction to the Armor AR calc a few weeks ago.. When was this first noticed?

I'll continue to dig to see if there's anything else that could have caused this. Narrowing down the timeframe would be helpful.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I'm guessing it was the AR patch personally....a lot changed with that patch took awhile to get used to.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Mace Tanks can't properly duel here because so many players feel it's their right to use red potions in duels against tank mages. The Quarter staff can compete well against the hally, eventually your target is stuck on a tile minihealing till he's out of regs or mana. The Hally may provide big burst hits, but the q-staff is great for interrupting and providing a reliable stream of damage
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Q-staff if you up dex and lower int.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

n3g

Post by n3g »

Yeah when I came here I went mace... remembering the War Hammer doing pretty big hits back then, and the staff of course being a great weapon for consistent fast dmg. For some reason though hammers suck here. At least Vanqs are cheap.

Bong Hit

Post by Bong Hit »

War hammers do suck but the fact that a vanq halley runs for nearly ten times the price of a vanq hammer kinda evens it out in the feild. As far as a straight 1v1 kinda silly to have macing. If ur pking and plan to have anat go macing. Always nice to get em to have to hit a refresh might buy you a precious second before they run to a safe corner and recall. :evil:

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

as some others have said it depends on what you want to do. With 25 dex its hard to not have swords as you're getting the most bang for your swing timer with a hally.

XaN

Post by XaN »

If you're mace, then you will lose evalint for anatomy.
NO! nooooOO! ....Hot, hot!

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

My macer temp is

Mace
tacts
anat
heal
resist
mage
wrestling

100 85 40

for a caster /melee

Mace
tactics
Anatomy 80
Resist 75
mage 75
Meditation 90
Wrestling 90
eval 90

100 40 85 stats

You are primarily casting e-bolts and explosions anyway
http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/UOS ... ulator.htm
check the calculator to see how effective it is. Maximum damage with an e-bolt vs 100 resist is 50 with 75 magery 90 eval.
Keep in mind with macing you can arm a g-heal wand/staff and be hit less often waiting for mana regen without fear of interrupt...in other words no mini-heal spamming.

We are also looking at 100 strength so the damage modifier with anatomy and tactics is 86% more then base damage.
http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/combat.html

With a Q-staff your swing timer at full stamina would be about 2.35 seconds. Thats consistent if not better then insta-hit without having to worry about attack last. Katana is the same speed if you like deadly poison and swords. "note katana was changed to a speed of 48 in a recent patch"
http://www.uosecondage.com/stratics/arms.html

This temp says a good defense is a good offense, and if the pots run out you have all the more time to take a step back and cast. Tip:Offense scrolls are very handy
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

paul01

Post by paul01 »

for me, sword particularly
medieval sword