New player: This is way more brutal than OSI T2A

Topics related to Second Age
Horvik

Re: New player: This is way more brutal than OSI T2A

Post by Horvik »

Mikel123 wrote: if I ever sat near some new player farming harpies in Covetous and waited for one of them to show up. But, if there's 4 of them, I'd need at least 2 others waiting with me, and preferably 3. That's a lot of people wasting time, hoping a group of people randomly gate in.
Actually, try that, you dont have to kill them, it freaks them out like hell and you get a good laugh.

And when one pk comes you just feel sad for him cause there is no way he can actually kill you.

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Pirul wrote:
Oswald wrote:they may exist somewhere but they're pretty much irrelevant because the fact of the matter is when you go to a dungeon you're going to encounter PK's and blue scouts 99% of the time - it's pretty telling when I mash out recall anytime I see a strange blue player, let alone a red, because if they aren't red they're usually pk scouts
Look for the tags on the blue players. If you see any of the 3 mentioned above, you're safe.
Not trying to bash any of those people, I'm sure there nice guys for the most part. But the only place I've seen those guilds are city banks. I'd be thrilled to see a raiding party.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Mikel123 wrote:Bottom line is yes, if you see another person, even a blue, it's often a scout.

And, PKing farmers is not that profitable. I mean, it is, but it's like the 78th most profitable thing you can do here. Purple potions are expensive.

Also, the reason there aren't groups of blue anti's running around is, in my opinion, because they're much harder to find than blue farmers. If you're a blue hunting reds, you're looking for a needle in a haystack. If you're a red hunting blues, you're looking for a weak piece of hay. Much much much easier to find.

And realistically, hunting in a pack of reds does keep you fairly protected. I have no doubt I could have taken anyone from TG or MYM, 1-on-1, if I ever sat near some new player farming harpies in Covetous and waited for one of them to show up. But, if there's 4 of them, I'd need at least 2 others waiting with me, and preferably 3. That's a lot of people wasting time, hoping a group of people randomly gate in.
Don't sit there. :) Sit in Destard, or the LL room, or Tera Keep, or Cov3 or Shame Bloods. I'd be surprised if you would have to wait more than 5 mins.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

I started playing 8 days ago(March 28th 2010) And I have noticed the amount of reds are a little more than I remember on Chesapeake in this era. Personally Pony Slaystation is my favorite pk. Hes badass but yet a nice guy.

Anyway I've developed a few strategys to play with to avoid being pk'd at the major farming spots. The first few days there I got whipped hardcore. Pk'd every 15 minutes or so.

With the proceeds I've already purchased a 2-story house and have bought plenty of regs for mage training(I haven't decided to join the reds or fight them).

So I do see your argument being valid yet this is one just one of the ways needed to adapt to the game play.

Everytime I get pk'd I'm at first upset yet realize that trying to change the system is what led to UO:R and then the entire fall of UO in my opinion so I just take it with a smile. I'll say that I lose about 10% of my farming profit from getting pk'd.
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Karik Verlee wrote:I started playing 8 days ago(March 28th 2010) And I have noticed the amount of reds are a little more than I remember on Chesapeake in this era. Personally Pony Slaystation is my favorite pk. Hes badass but yet a nice guy.

Anyway I've developed a few strategys to play with to avoid being pk'd at the major farming spots. The first few days there I got whipped hardcore. Pk'd every 15 minutes or so.

With the proceeds I've already purchased a 2-story house and have bought plenty of regs for mage training(I haven't decided to join the reds or fight them).

So I do see your argument being valid yet this is one just one of the ways needed to adapt to the game play.

Everytime I get pk'd I'm at first upset yet realize that trying to change the system is what led to UO:R and then the entire fall of UO in my opinion so I just take it with a smile. I'll say that I lose about 10% of my farming profit from getting pk'd.

Pony Slaystation, I have to admit. I love the name. Classic.
Of course, I rage quit hard in MW2 this weekend and now need to buy a new controller. Fuck. :(
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Most of the reds won't take your clothes and runes and misc. stuff - just gold and regs and maybe magic items.

Try recalling into town on accident and watch what the bluebies do to you though.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I was talking to someone on here and basically it comes down to a mindset. PKs have the mindset that when they see blue they are going to attack, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. They dont have to waste that split second thinking about whether or not they will stay and fight or recall away. They dont have to worry about is there magic reflect is up, whether thier pouches are still trapped or anything like that. They already have spells precasted aside from physical preparation they are mentally prepared which helps a great deal. I have a character that I only use for farming. Hes a Glorious Lord and I think I've died a total of 3 times with him. Once to Pony Slaystation I might add. I have a dexxer that farms and does adventures and then I have a pure pvp tank mage. This is the guy that doesn't care about karma, who runs around with 25 of each reg, pouches, pots (all of my characters have em), etc. This is the guy who I send to dungeons when I see a pk come in. Yes he dies and frequently but the thing I really have to buy when he does is a new horse.

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

Oswald wrote:Most of the reds won't take your clothes and runes and misc. stuff - just gold and regs and maybe magic items.

Try recalling into town on accident and watch what the bluebies do to you though.
Really? I've been dry looted and horsekilled by all but two reds since I started here, haven't been pked for a bit but that's not how I remember most reds i've encountered. Don't farm at all any more but I think your claim about the niceness of the reds on this shard is pretty questionable, Usually you can guess by the name how they are gonna do it.

Anyway, as far as the anti thing goes, ZsV, PoV and allies are way way less active now, right now in PoV none of the pvp oriented players are around, so yeah you see most of us by town banks. Seems like we had big chunk of blue oriented players quit or og on hiatus in a small amount of time.

I sincerely hope someone else can step in to fill the void, blue guilds, whether purposefully anti or not make a safe haven for newer players and make the widespread pking more bearable.

I do think the balance is out of whack here, pking, thieving, and even griefing are an integral part of the game, but it seems like things will get stagnant quickly when the majority of players are oriented towards this play style.

Seems like things are most exciting with a balance of different player types, and it seems like lately it's going a different direction:(

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Well like I said, back in '98 there wasn't much choice in terms of games to play.

But how many sheep and anti PK types are going to come play this game when they can just go play WoW or some other MMO?

This is part of the reason why the disparity exists.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I'm not great at PvP but don't shy away from it, figuring I get better with experience.

I'm dry looted half the time, the other half they at least spare my runes and cheap items, and I often get a courtesy gate to town, and occassionally a res.

I figure if they catch me and kill me, they've earned the loot.

When I kill, I only dry loot thieves and players who offend me for whatever reason. Regs, gold, armor and weaps I will always take, even if the victim is "nice".

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

Oswald wrote:Well like I said, back in '98 there wasn't much choice in terms of games to play.

But how many sheep and anti PK types are going to come play this game when they can just go play WoW or some other MMO?

I've seen just as many of the pk'er types playing WoW religiously when they take their hiatuses from UOSA, the demographic isn't that simple. The reason for the disparity is multiclienting and the other reasons cited, not some silly subjective idea of playstyles. You are right to a degree, but I think the effect of that is less than you think. People who are enamored purely with the safe PvE of games like WoW wouldn't even bother looking for this shard, let alone play on it.

There are plenty of players who want to log on and chop wood in UO, WoW doesn't provide any of the same freedom, even from a purely PvM/crafter viewpoint.

Dorn

Post by Dorn »

Great replies

I didn't post this to ask for change - we've been given a canvas and this is what we chose to do with it. It'll be interesting seeing how it develops.

I'm not exaggerating on my encounters yesterday:

I used a rune library to visit every dungeon hunting spot yesterday. I was on for about 10 hours.

Legit Blue Players: I saw 3 legit blue players trying to earn money (2 were provokers in Destard, one was a mage in Balron area of Ice Dungeon.)

Thieves/Greys/Blue gankers: I saw 7-10 blue people who went grey to provoke fights, stole recall runes before bringing reds in, looted, or flat out attacked when health got low from NPCs.

Reds: At least 15 unique names... only three of them were solo (I think, recalled before seeing friends.) It was the same names rotating dungeons - from the daemon area of Hythloth, dragon area of Destard, lich room of deceit, Ogre Lord room in Wrong, Fire Temple near Hythloth, elementals in shame.... no matter where I'd go there'd be no blues... a gate would open and charging in would come 3-5 reds all spamming E-bolt and harm. Full loots and comments such as "ooOooooO fagot" on death.

On Baja PKs had some class... anyway I'm not looking for change. Frankly I'm really just venting and wondering about investing time in this shard - is it worth it? Just because the mechanics are in place, is for naught if we're stranded in town macroing and selling crafted gear to each other.

Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Smelly Ira wrote:
Oswald wrote:Well like I said, back in '98 there wasn't much choice in terms of games to play.

I've seen just as many of the pk'er types playing WoW religiously when they take their hiatuses from UOSA, the demographic isn't that simple. The reason for the disparity is multiclienting and the other reasons cited, not some silly subjective idea of playstyles. You are right to a degree, but I think the effect of that is less than you think. People who are enamored purely with the safe PvE of games like WoW wouldn't even bother looking for this shard, let alone play on it.

There are plenty of players who want to log on and chop wood in UO, WoW doesn't provide any of the same freedom, even from a purely PvM/crafter viewpoint.
The lack of anti-PK's compared to PK's has a lot to do with playstyles and games available in the era.

Lots of 'niceguys' played anti PK and thought PK'ing was wrong back when UO was the only thing around. Had nothing to do with being confined to 1 account.

Now that there's a lot more games out there, and especially a lot more modern games, this game attracts a certain type of player - and that is going to be typically the guy who wants to go around ganking as opposed to the guy wanting to defend the innocent.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Smelly Ira wrote:The reason for the disparity is multiclienting and the other reasons cited, not some silly subjective idea of playstyles.
Agreed!! Stat-loss isn't as painful when you can simultaniously afk macro on 3 chars at the same time, hence you get pk's with little to loose.

I remember on OSI (at least for us, non power-gamers), pking was a risk not really worth taking, because you would end up not playing at all for days if you died in stat-loss.

Anyway, it is what it is, and we deal with it.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Smelly Ira
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Smelly Ira »

once again:
People who are enamored purely with the safe PvE of games like WoW wouldn't even bother looking for this shard, let alone play on it.
You are right to some degree, but I think the fact that multi clienting makes pking so much easier, the fact that good pvpers can fund themselves by doing events, things like this ahve alot to do with the demographics of the shard than some overall mentality of gamers.

P.S. I can tell you since I am in one of the anti guilds that was active (haven't turned into much of a pvper myself but there ya go), that alot of the anti guys that were actively hunting are ex pk's from OSI themselves..seems to fly in the face of what you are saying.
Last edited by Smelly Ira on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.