Something to consider about this game

Topics related to Second Age
Faust

Re: Something to consider about this game

Post by Faust »

Derrick has the code for the timer and he just has to tweak and finalize it with the UO Second Age code.

Archery will actually be receiving a significant boost compared to the way it works now. The timer isn't being extended at all and in fact it's actually the complete opposite. Ranged weapons will be doing damage in between shots 1 second faster than what is possible now since the animation and damage delay is actually processed inside of the delay instead of after it.

Also, since weapons cannot hold their swing in a held state in the original timer this gives archery a huge advantage. The same holds true for ranged weapons but it's possible to hold a shot with archery due to the 'plant and shoot' restriction that essentially stalls the delay when you're moving around. However, if your target isn't in range at the end of the shot when damage is about to be calculated it's possible to lose out on it just like with melee. The only difference between the two is that melee weapons can't be stalled unlike ranged weapons due to that movement requirement of 'planting and shooting' for archery.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Wouldnt weapons "holding their swing in a held state" entail "insta hit"?

and wasnt there "insta-hit" in t2a?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Insta Hit - Damage for your blow is now assessed on your opponent on the start of the swing, instead of at the end. This change makes a fast connection less of an advantage in melee combat. This will apply to wrestling and attacks made by monsters as well.

The definition of insta hit is fairly simple. The damage simply shifted from the end of the swing animation to the beginning instead with this patch.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I'm looking forward to this patch and I hope it's soon!

Will this put an end to 35 dex owning 25 dex with hally DPS Faust? With these changes...if I'm understanding correctly.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Wouldnt weapons "holding their swing in a held state" entail "insta hit"?

and wasnt there "insta-hit" in t2a?
I'm confused as well, that was what I mentioned in the last post (edit: actually that "last post" was in another thread entirely).

It sounds like there is going to be an arm delay on all weapons?

But the most common player conception of "insta-hit" is not that the damage occurs immediately on the swing animation, but that you can equip a weapon and "instantly hit". This was taken out in UO:R... Faust is making it sound like this is an upcoming change to UOSA???

:?:

Also, wasn't there a patch note somewhere with something about "you can no longer 'outrun' arrows"?
Last edited by nightshark on Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

It sounds to me like all weapons will work like archery works here. Only the swing timer will constantly elapse and if you are not on a target, or close enough to attack when you have "your swing" it will just elapse and you will stand there like a jackass until the timer gets back to the swing.

Basically making magery+weapon usless? Unless of course the weapons timer is still elapsing when you unarm it, and you can arm it at the right time to hit then disarm and continue your timer, assumming you are in the right place, and next to the target at the proper time. If that's the case then "robot hallies" just became more robotic, as all people will do is set a macro synced with the timer and some
sort of warning when they are about to swing. (via legal or illegal means).

I'd like to know where this info is coming from, because I distinctly remember the complaints when UO;R came, about how dexers timers elapsed while moving, (also dex based healing), which sort of implies that the timer did NOT elapse prior to uor.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

I agree, tank mages will become useless. The way Faust is describing it sounds exactly like weapons functioned in UO:R, not T2A.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

KydVicious

Post by KydVicious »

Actually the changes sound more accurate to T2A. When you armed a hally after casting the insta hit went off and it was a fair amount of time for the swing timer to reset before another swing took place regardless of whether or not you disarmed the weapon afterwards or not. The insta-hit was actually a technical-glitch so to speak as it was a mechanic that was somehow in the coding at the time that allowed a swing that rarely missed upon the initial arming of your hally. It didn't actually "hold" in a ready state it went off quickly as you had to be on target in a short amount of time for it to "go off" or you lost it ending in a whiff (I remember because if I didn't close the distance in a very short amount of time my hally hit would whiff and the hit was "wasted" so I had to jump back into spell casting and wait for another opening).

It seemed at the time that the weapon's timer had to elapse the full amount of time after an insta-hit before another swing took place, this is why you went right back into spell casting after an insta-hit if it didn't kill your opponent because it was going to be awhile until your next hally hit opportunity.

Mana management became crucial at the time as you relied very heavily on spells/interrupts to redline your opponent and the hally insta-hit was the finisher that either sealed the deal or had you running around waiting for your mana to regen and your hally to reload.

Faust

Post by Faust »

nightshark wrote:I agree, tank mages will become useless. The way Faust is describing it sounds exactly like weapons functioned in UO:R, not T2A.
Have stated numerous times now that there are instances of the timer that people will not understand due to not knowing programming. There was one bug and a couple oddities in the code that were discovered that allows specific procedures to take place such as shifting the swing counter from one location to the next. A great example is having a weapon primed and ready when you do not have a combatant. There is a routine in the code that calculates the swing states that determines a swing that never gets called until having a combatant. When you initiate combat there will be a total of 4 ticks or one second until damage takes place in this situation. That is just one of the many quirks that exist in it. Most people will not understand why this happens because they don't understand how the code works. Weapon cycling does exist(the one bug that was found) but it works nothing like it currently does on UOSA when manipulating the wrestling delay and having a swing hold in a held state after waiting the delay. The bug allows you to bypass the equip delay at a specific point in time because of a boolean if condition that asks if something is greater than or equals when if it was greater than or would have not existed.

People will just have to wait and get a feel for this timer when it's put up on the test center. Will definitely take some time to getting used to at first and best of all the timer cannot be scripted in Razor or EUO to cheat.

Cataclyst

Post by Cataclyst »

Yeah, sounds quite lame to me. Oh well, pvp was fun while it lasted!
(10:15:37 AM) mark: wana pk?
(10:15:41 AM) Cataclysm: all mine are dead, sigh
(10:15:44 AM) Cataclysm: thank weezy for one, spanky for the other
(10:15:49 AM) Cataclysm: and a dc for the third
(10:15:57 AM) mark: why u shouldnt team with ethnics

Axel231

Post by Axel231 »

okay faust can you explain to me with an example of exactly how everything will work with everything to do with weapon swings.

i.e. right now (i haven't really pvped yet but this is what ive heard so far)

no reset timer while running <--- terrible
hally can be re-equipped quickly to replace all swing timers for wrestle swing timers <--- terrible
archery dmg is at the end of the animation and it does not insta hit <--- terrible
you can double hally swing by doing some gay combo (this isnt fucing street fighter, how far will you go to stay accurate just fix the many bad game mechanics and bugs its not exciting adding in authentic bugs like that deciet ledge.) <--- terrible
you tab back in if someone hits attack last target <--- worst addition to this server

also you better not start some bullshit rant where you continually say : Distro RunUO shard.

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

nightshark wrote:you can equip a weapon and "instantly hit".
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... edirect=no

"Equipping a weapon now causes a short "prep time" before you can start swinging."

The biggest issue I've gotten from all these discussions is that Tank Mages can Hallywhack you every 3 seconds. The fact that somebody can hit you with their Halberd every three seconds at 25 Dexterity is just...wrong.

Attack Speed = 15000 / ([Stam + 100] x 25)
15000 / (3125) = 4.8 Seconds, which is 5 for all intents here.

That's the amount of time between Halberd swings you have to wait.

I've been conversing with Faust on this and, according to him, there are four "States" behind a melee weapon attack.

State 0: The Weapon Delay
State 1: Buffer Delay
State 2: Animation Delay
State 3: Damage
Faust wrote:The timer advances through swnig states based on your currently equipped weapon or wrestling if no weaspon is present. This timer advances even if you have no combatant, but the states will not advance if you do not.
Didn't understand a word there. The timer is separate from the states? That can't be right at all.
Faust wrote:Damage does not take place until the final state of 3 is called. The range check comes in the beginning of state 3. Melee weapons have insta hit so state 2 is very brief for them.
What's confusing is, earlier in an IRC conversation with Faust, he states:

<Faust> swing, damage, animation = insta-hit

Wouldn't this mean that the damage (state 3), then have to occur before State 2? I guess our conception of insta-hit for the last two years here has been completely wrong but I guess Faust is still going to keep it.

The definition is just going to be completely changed.

He states that this is because of a Patch Note from 2000 that states "Players using melee weapons will now hold their swing until their target is in range."

But this only, as far as I'm aware, applies to how players get that "CHINNNG" instantaneously when they come back within range on occasion during combat. In other words, you have to go through the swing animation again when you come within range after being out of range. Nonetheless, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with when damage is applied during the swing animation Faust.

<Faust> swing, animation, damage = non-insta hit

In the end, it kind of sounds like he's just making the instant hit dodge able, which isn't accurate. He even says it himself.

<Faust> theoretically it is dodging but not dodging the animation
<Faust> you will be able to dodge the insta hit by being out of range when it triggers

Just sounds like he's getting rid of insta-hit by adding the "dodge" technique that was Pre T2A.

Whatever. None of us can stop Faust or Batlin from changing the shard no matter how much we debate the issue. They're here to tell us what they're going to do and leave us to our discussion as a separate issue.
Last edited by Blackbeard on Fri May 14, 2010 3:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
"In case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening and good night."

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

sounds unbelievably stupid to me..

why would you add the ability to dodge a melee attack when theres already a 50% chance to miss at 100 / 100..

these mechanics spoken of in this thread will severely hinder any pvp entirely..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Axel231

Post by Axel231 »

insta hit is just if you equip your wep it instantly swings and instantly damages instantly before the instance of the animation instantly finishing.

as in with archery you have to equip stand around like a fucktard for a billion seconds then it swings then you have to wait for all that bullshit animation to finish then the damage comes.

chadt3a

Post by chadt3a »

Sad how they do absolutely nothing to make the pvp better, this server could easily have 1000+ clients online if they would make decent changes and not this crap.

So basically if you don't hit someone at the perfect time you have to wait another 5 seconds to hit them again? You are taking an already crappy pvp system and making it crappier. Good job.