newb char advice...

Topics related to Second Age
Grasso

newb char advice...

Post by Grasso »

i used to play this game when i was about 16 years old. i'm 29 now. i loved it, of course, but it was a much different game then. that was before t2a even.

anyway, i'd like some advice on building a new character on this server. i never much liked using magic. i hated gathering regents and i just preferred to use archery and melee weapons most of the time. i really only used magic for teleporting and so on. of course this meant my characters were always sub par. i never did particularly well. pks always got the best of me and the words "corp por" sent me running. i'd like to continue my tradition of avoiding magic if possible but i'd prefer not to suck. can any of you recommend a skill set combination that'll make for a good melee or archery type character?

thanks!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: newb char advice...

Post by RoadKill »

I have had much success with:

Mace / Tactics / Anatomy / Heal / Resist / Magery / Hide
Fencing / Tactics / Anatomy / Heal / Resist / Magery / Poison
Mace or Fencing / Tactics / Anatomy / Heal / Resist / Magery / Tracking

Basically I always take 100 magery, it's not needed, you could get away with less (for recall, teleport, quick GHeal here and there, cure, reactive armor, etc), but those are some viable setups
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Grasso

Post by Grasso »

RoadKill wrote:I have had much success with:

Mace / Tactics / Anatomy / Heal / Resist / Magery / Hide
Fencing / Tactics / Anatomy / Heal / Resist / Magery / Poison
Mace or Fencing / Tactics / Anatomy / Heal / Resist / Magery / Tracking

Basically I always take 100 magery, it's not needed, you could get away with less (for recall, teleport, quick GHeal here and there, cure, reactive armor, etc), but those are some viable setups

Thanks! How about archery though?

PS - Stats?

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I typically do anything between:

100 str, 100 dex, 25 int and somewhere around 100str, 80 dex, 45 int - adjustments based on how you play the game

Archery is great for PVM, and is good in PVP Events, it can be tough to find practical use in regular field pvp, but that does not mean it's bad (example, I use to use archery and anytime I got paralyzed, switching to a bow was often better than popping a pouch to get unparalyzed)
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

(alert: shameless self-promotion forthcoming)

If you are looking for PvM template designs, I'll direct you to the 3 "Professions" pages from this page:

viewforum.php?f=107

You will have to be logged-in to access these pages.

also, if you haven't done so, check out the character-design subsection of the FAQ page.

Welcome to UOSA.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Grasso

Post by Grasso »

awesome. thanks guys.

morganm

Post by morganm »

Macro up a bard and get a bank roll going.

Then you can fund whatever characters you want.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

pedro1.jpg
pedro1.jpg (22.45 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

Begging/Fletching/Cooking/Spellweaving/Tactics/Spirit Speak/Parrying

Duh

SeTiDaYeTi

Post by SeTiDaYeTi »

morganm wrote:Macro up a bard and get a bank roll going.

Then you can fund whatever characters you want.
Pretty much this. Which, not that incidentally, is exactly what I've been doing since rolling my first char here, three weeks ago. Having a blast since then, by the way.

Uh, Grasso, how comes your name looks Italian to me?

Roden

Post by Roden »

How much does a bard bring in per day/hour or whatever? Figures please. :)

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Roden wrote:How much does a bard bring in per day/hour or whatever? Figures please. :)
I can do 20k-50k in an hour. 50k is given perfect conditions (no pks, no other farmers, no interruptions whatsoever...basically you on the shard all by yourself with some AI mobs)
If you know where to hit and know how to hit it, you can make good money on a skilled bard.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

bard lper combo
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Grasso wrote: i'd like to continue my tradition of avoiding magic if possible but i'd prefer not to suck. can any of you recommend a skill set combination that'll make for a good melee or archery type character?

thanks!
No magery whatsoever is not a good idea.

Swords
Tactics
Archery 90
Magery 45
Healing
Resist
Anatomy 90
Wrestling 75

Wrestling is normally for casters. However anyone can cycle halberds and the higher your stamina the faster you can cycle them and in order to do so you must use your wrestling timer (be unarmed). Also you may have to attempt recall a couple times trying to escape if you do not use scrolls. Magic bows are a dime a dozen, they litter the streets and its easy to push your Archery skill close to or over 100 with them.

You may want to avoid magic now, you will not later. This will help introduce you to weapon cycling. You want to avoid wasting your timer in being made to swing before the wrestling timer is complete in order to swing the hally faster. In the case you come in contact before it is armed, wrestling reduces the chance of being hit anyway.

If you go this route, shoot your bow disarm wait a second or two arm a polearm and attack. Keep practicing this on things to get the timing right. It will be good practice until you want to proceed unto the path of magery. The good thing about archery is it's timer still ticks while moving. This is not the case with melee timers.

Archery is a pain to raise, and its best as a secondary weapon skill. Pick up swords first and with it tactics. That way when you do hit with your bow until you are topped off you will still do full damage.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:
Grasso wrote: i'd like to continue my tradition of avoiding magic if possible but i'd prefer not to suck. can any of you recommend a skill set combination that'll make for a good melee or archery type character?

thanks!
No magery whatsoever is not a good idea.

The ONLY thing you should listen to