should we try and advertise this shard more?

Topics related to Second Age

Should we advertise this shard more?

Yes
81%
no
19%

Total votes: 36

4579190a

should we try and advertise this shard more?

Post by 4579190a »

Should we?

iamreallysquall

Re: should we try and advertise this shard more?

Post by iamreallysquall »

http://www.uosecondage.com/Vote i do this fairly often you can do it once a day
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

Yes, but we need to be more creative about and branch out our efforts more.

Most of those voting sites are a waste of time. Except for maybe JoinUO, RunUO and gamingsites200, most of those sites have little unique traffic, and shuffle existing players between the freeshards. The problem is, the UO freeshard community as a whole is shrinking, not just this one shard.

To truly grow, we need to attract old UO players who are not aware of freeshards, and new players who are not aware of UO.

We need to aggressively yet ethically, shamelessly promote this shard in gaming communities around the web.

Look for active forum topics/blogs that deal with gaming cultures similar to ours. Kotaku.com, reddit.com/r/gaming, uoforums.com, steam user forums, mmocrunch.com, etc.

Check out how IPY advertised itself over at reddit.com http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... ders_with/

It's very important when advertising this shard that your tone doesn't come off as an advertisement. You should sound like a normal gamer who is excited about a game they are playing (which you are.)

Dont:
"Hey guys, UOSA is the best ultima online free shard around. Check it out!"

Do:
"That game reminds me alot of ultima online. But probably not as good. Speaking of which, I've been spending alot of time over at uosecondage.com, it's a pretty good free server for people who want that old-school sandbox gameplay"

DO NOT ADVERTISE THIS SHARD ON OTHER FREESHARD'S FORUMS!

Wecould also look into very-specifically targeted ad campaigns, which can be run for very cheap. A few hundred-thousand impressions on the right websites could bring in hundreds of new players (untill they get pkd), for a relatively small amount of money. Not sure the legality of paid advertising for a free-shard tho, as it may enter the territory of competing with EA UO.
Last edited by mrbojangles on Tue May 17, 2011 11:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Downs

Post by Downs »

can one of you guys get a job writing for a newspaper and do an article on this shard!?!? SHEESH!
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

I made this shard public to almost my whole clan on Darkfall online, lots of the ppl there say they like Darkfall because it captures that "Old school UO" feeling. Basically agreeing with them on that, I went on to tell them about this awesome t2a era UO shard and how it's free to play and there are no hand me outs. It's difficult to start if you go completely solo but the community is more than helpful. Most seem intrigued and actually asked for the website details at which time i gave it to them. Hopefully we'll see some more old school folks show up.

Voting is prolly one of the best ways though.. Anytime someone is looking for a free server to play they almost always come across the free server rankings list, there are multiples, anyhow ya it's prolly really good idea to vote daily and it takes a matter of seconds to do it.

fortin
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fortin »

I can offer some SEO (Search engine optimization) tips to the webmaster. Though it does look like someone has already done a bit of optimizing the title tags and such. I found this shard through a post on reddit.com.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

There is also facebook, which has become a massive advertising tool.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2205284397
Ultima Online Facebook Group

http://www.facebook.com/uosecondage
UO Second Age Group

Spam them to your friends on occasion.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

What we need is a featured You Tube channel, where someone will upload tons of great UOSA clips.

I'm talking like a hundred videos.

I would download and use fraps just for that.

Erastus

Post by Erastus »

i was thinkin how expensive could be to put ad in the london underground trains, but probably quite a lot :)
Ras Tafari Makonnen
Bootes [Dungeon Guards]

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

We need to find an EX Origins employee who may have a list of all of the old players. This list would include emails, phone numbers and addresses. A spam of emails and a little mail drop would go a long way!

If only...

Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stuck »

http://www.google.com/search?q=ultima+online

We're currently the 7th result on a google for "ultima online", which is "above the fold" on a lot of resolutions, just one lower than hybrid.

edit: however, the title does look kind of keyword stuffed to a degree. I can only speak for myself, but my eyes tend to skip over results that are a lot of keywords. I wonder if google may be penalizing this site slightly because of all the keywords in the title.

4579190a

Post by 4579190a »

we need to do something before we have less then 400 ppl on a day :/

Pac

Post by Pac »

I've been noticing a slight boost in online numbers recently, about 40-50 clients more on average than a month or two ago.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I think we need two resources, both at near professional quality, to attract people unfamiliar with UO.

First, we need some sort of detailed overview of the sort of things the game offers: what hunting is like, what pvp is like, what PKs are like, what scammers are like, etc. It should give a honest picture of the nature of the game. It does us no good to draw in people who rage quit when Pristiq loots their house.

Second, we need some sort of clear guide explaining how to play UO. The game is really complicated. It is very difficult to figure out even how to do simple things like open doors or look in your own bag if you have never played before.

I would offer to help write such documents, but the world is keeping me busy. Perhaps we could assemble a team to work on this later in the summer?

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

I think we need two resources, both at near professional quality, to attract people unfamiliar with UO.

First, we need some sort of detailed overview of the sort of things the game offers: what hunting is like, what pvp is like, what PKs are like, what scammers are like, etc. It should give a honest picture of the nature of the game. It does us no good to draw in people who rage quit when Pristiq loots their house.

Second, we need some sort of clear guide explaining how to play UO. The game is really complicated. It is very difficult to figure out even how to do simple things like open doors or look in your own bag if you have never played before.

I would offer to help write such documents, but the world is keeping me busy. Perhaps we could assemble a team to work on this later in the summer?