Re: Swing on the run

Post by Pied Piper »

Ulfrigg wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:
Ulfrigg wrote:servers you go to untill you get to the host
I dunno. How do I check it?
open the run in start and type cmd

then you write tracert uosecondage.com
17 in total (counting uosecondage as the last one)

5 of those had a request timeout or something.

Is that good? I notice my connection out here in BFE is always better than my friends who live in the city. I have DSL. They claim it is because there is less internet traffic where I am at.

Fede

Post by Fede »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I sure don't remember playing hallytag in t2a. I would certainly be interested in seeing where you came up with this idea.
That is basically what this is.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Fede wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:I sure don't remember playing hallytag in t2a. I would certainly be interested in seeing where you came up with this idea.
That is basically what this is.
What what is? Swing on the run is not the same as the halberd cycling that "must exist because it's the only way you could sync an explode-eb-hally combo". I have no doubt that something is incorrect with this mechanic.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

648 online
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Sandro wrote:648 online
Psilo's Psurge !!!

Its true :shock:

Fede

Post by Fede »

MatronDeWinter wrote:What what is? Swing on the run is not the same as the halberd cycling that "must exist because it's the only way you could sync an explode-eb-hally combo". I have no doubt that something is incorrect with this mechanic.
I wasn't referring to it being SOTR. I should have explained better. I meant to say as of now, I feel like I am playing "hally tag."

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

Fede wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:What what is? Swing on the run is not the same as the halberd cycling that "must exist because it's the only way you could sync an explode-eb-hally combo". I have no doubt that something is incorrect with this mechanic.
I wasn't referring to it being SOTR. I should have explained better. I meant to say as of now, I feel like I am playing "hally tag."
part of this problem is the trotting issue. i can walk away and not be swung on

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Fede wrote:
By "hally tag" do you mean that people try to hally hit you and then run away immedietly(in an attempt to avoid being hit incase you don't cycle perfect)

Or do you mean that people run until they think they have the "hally cycled" and then equip and only stop to hit you?

I have found the only problem right now is that hits are "held" and the "timer" doesn't seem to keep moving like it should.

The running and hitting like we currently have is working great. If we can just fix "held hits" everything will be more balanced and 'era accurate'. Then people need to at least have some idea where the timer is before equipping and attempting a hally hit. Indeed the hally is alittle more easy to use right now since hits are held always.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

While, yes I am talking about the ability for people to run until they have a swing only to stop and hit you. More specifically, I am referring to the time delay between swings with varying degrees of stamina. When you were required to remain stationary in order to advance your swing, the duration was still to small.

The last time I played, I compiled this data. It lists the time required between swings, that is, the time it took to hit, disarm, wait, until you could hit again. I don't know if any patches since then have changed this data in any way however.

At that time a player with 34 stamina could swing a halberd every 1.9s. 25 stamina posed a delay of 2.5s as would be expected given that everyone says "wait 2.5-3s then arm again" when instructing others how to play with their hallies.

I want to see the proof that lead to the ability for a low dex character to circumnavigate the actual wait time by simply disarming their weapon. I don't believe that fights here should be 5 minutes of hallying back and forth every 2 seconds followed by a combo and perhaps some harm spam.

Whether or not this data is still accurate is of no importance. Regardless, I don't think there should be a way to cheat the delay, at the very least by so much time.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

More specifically, I am referring to the time delay between swings with varying degrees of stamina. When you were required to remain stationary in order to advance your swing, the duration was still to small.
I agree it's totally inaccurate and really needs to be changed. Right now it's impossible to meditate for more than 1.5 seconds because every mage abuses the 35 dex hally swing bug. And I think you're right that having higher dex should not increase how fast you can hit(cycling). I do believe cycling existed in some form in 1999, but not like here like you said. Players have

With 35 dex+agility potion = 55. It's simply ridiculous how fast one can hit.

And another thing to think about regarding this faulty mechanic. It's incredibly imbalanced that a mage with higher dex(35) can always swing at mages with lower dex, while they can never hit back assuming the 35 dex mage cycles and hits perfectly. This is incredibly flawed, UO mage pvp never worked like that. If someone had 35 dex in 1999 it didn't limit what someone could do with 25 dex(not being able to hally hit).

Mage pvp has more luck than it should due to faulty inaccurate mechanics. Hopefully we can get this fixed with some research and understanding.
Last edited by Psilo on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Psilo wrote:
More specifically, I am referring to the time delay between swings with varying degrees of stamina. When you were required to remain stationary in order to advance your swing, the duration was still to small.
I agree it's totally inaccurate and really needs to be changed. Right now it's impossible to meditate for more than 1.5 seconds because every mage abuses the 35 dex hally swing bug. And I think you're right that having higher dex should not increase how fast you can hit.

With 35 dex+agility potion = 55. It's simply ridiculous how fast one can hit.

And another thing to think about regarding this faulty mechanic. It's incredibly imbalanced that a mage with higher dex(35) can always swing at mages with lower dex, while they can never hit back assuming the 35 dex mage cycles and hits perfectly. This is incredibly flawed, UO mage pvp never worked like that. If someone had 35 dex in 1999 it didn't limit what someone could do with 25 dex.

Mage pvp has more luck than it should due to faulty inaccurate mechanics. Hopefully we can get this fixed with some research and understanding.

Oh no, I most certainly believe that dex should influence your attack frequency. I just think that it has been VASTLY accelerated across the board here on UOSA to facilitate some sort of free-shard style of pvp that never existed. Every 2 seconds really? The halberd should take what 10+ seconds to hit with 25 dex but OSI is going to allow a bug to use it (the strongest weapon even) every 2 seconds with 25-35 dex? ..and allow that for the whole "age" basically? Give me a break.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

I remember an Azaroth blog a few years back that discussed what is going on here...

The patch notes and publish notes are not always 100% decisive, and then it comes down to a "me me me" fight over how it should be.

As we can already see the change is already being critiqued, and people are now saying "well you changed sotr now you should change mini-heal..."

From here it will never end - for instance, now Matron wants more delay between hally swings because "ITZ TOO SHORT!!11 IMO".

This is why it was best to stick with the best information/evidence available instead of caving in to opinion.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

Oh no, I most certainly believe that dex should influence your attack frequency. I just think that it has been VASTLY accelerated across the board here on UOSA to facilitate some sort of free-shard style of pvp that never existed.
I was saying that dex shouldn't affect cycling, are you saying it should? I could be wrong because in 1999 I never tried having higher than 25 dex.

I agree something is certainly 'accelerated' because mages can output insane damage with weapons alone too fast. In 1999 a mage in a duel could do similar damage with a katana over a slower amount of time but still hold up to a hally(since the hally was not able to swing as often due to a bug/inaccurate mechanic). On UOSA if a mage tries using a katana he will not be able to keep up a mage using a hally because it hits almost as often lol. How can a hally hit as fast as a katana, that makes the katana almost useless in a mage 1v1 and that's not era accurate lol. And this is assuming both people 1v1ing are mages who know the mechanics well.

The katana sacrifices some damage for speed, but UOSA's version is that the hally is just as fast(nearly).

Anyone remember mages using quarter staves and war axes? They worked well back in 1999 and one of the best mages I knew used war axes mainly. No one on UOSA does because the hally can out perform every weapon due to the buggy cycling mechanics. The hally shouldn't be able to hit as fast as a war axe. This is good too since the war axe damage isn't nearly as much as hally but macing overall is a different style and it worked in 1999.
Last edited by Psilo on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

Pied Piper

Post by Pied Piper »

The Hally glitch was a bug that was never intended nor should it be in this game. Remember the golden rule about gamebreaking bugs!?

Well this is one of em. It should go. Otherwise add gold/item duping bug into game because it was an unintended era accurate bug also.