whats the deal with taming

Topics related to Second Age
TheEttinKing

whats the deal with taming

Post by TheEttinKing »

Is my memory drunk cause i remember being able to macro taming on a animal i trapped in my house during this era we did it all the time even with other chars cause of the str gains.
by setting a macro to tame and then release and tame again or are we not going era accurate with this?

Jed Clampett on drugs story By the EttinKing.

Let me tell ya story bout a man named Jed poor man barley kept his family feed then one day he was smoking on a joint and zedd hit him with his truck...Twice.

Tabius

Re: whats the deal with taming

Post by Tabius »

Doing that would have 1000 tamers with dragons all over the shard.

Ridiculous.
Testimonials

<Derrick> Holy crap, nice spot!
<Derrick> I didn't know you could fit houses on serps

<Braden> Wow, that is a tight placement

<Nevermore> That is AMAZING placement

<Pirul> Dude, Tabius WAS real estate in UOSA

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

Tabius wrote:Doing that would have 1000 tamers with dragons all over the shard.

Ridiculous.
Yeah it would but was it the way i said during this era or the way it is cause it seems that taming takes about 5k man hours of taming everything in site to get .1 gain.

Let me tell ya story bout a man named Jed poor man barley kept his family feed then one day he was smoking on a joint and zedd hit him with his truck...Twice.

Plum

Post by Plum »

Look... If you did that everyone would leave. Everyone is already ticked off at PK Tamers/Dungeon Tamers enough as it is. There wasn't a lot of anything in T2A, pretty much everything was rare. It takes months to GM most skills in T2A. That's just how it is. If that bothers you then go somewhere else. There are lots of shards with faster gains. UOG Hybrid has really fast gains and there are a ton of tamers just like you.

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

Plum wrote:Look... If you did that everyone would leave. Everyone is already ticked off at PK Tamers/Dungeon Tamers enough as it is. There wasn't a lot of anything in T2A, pretty much everything was rare. It takes months to GM most skills in T2A. That's just how it is. If that bothers you then go somewhere else. There are lots of shards with faster gains. UOG Hybrid has really fast gains and there are a ton of tamers just like you.
First off i was just asking questions to see if my memory was right about this era.

Second i dont even care if they do a away with tamers and scrap them all together i was just curious.

And Third but most important im not one of your kids dont tell me what i should do.

Plum

Post by Plum »

I don't have or want kids. :|

(btw, don't ever say those 4 words to your girlfriend, "I Don't Want Kids.")

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

Now back to topic since taming is what it is are the benifits of a tamer worth the time its going to take a person to get one going good ?
Im not saying change the gain on it or anything i just remember it being a certain way and from the way i remember it then you could macro up a tamer and get out there but from what i read on the post of the guy taming the nightmare i think the server will shutdown before he gets to gm.
Last edited by TheEttinKing on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The ability to retame the same animal for gains was removed early in era. You can retame a pet that you've tamed before with zero difficulty, and therefore no chance of gaining skill.

You're correct that it used to be that way, but not within our target timeframe.

GzA

Post by GzA »

The question is, do you want to consider yourself a tamer? A tailor? A miner?

It's borderline the online equivalent of coming out of the closet.

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

ive never played a tamer and i was actually considering it but atm im macroing a provoker while working a miner

TheEttinKing

Post by TheEttinKing »

Derrick wrote:The ability to retame the same animal for gains was removed early in era. You can retame a pet that you've tamed before with zero difficulty, and therefore no chance of gaining skill.

You're correct that it used to be that way, but not within our target timeframe.
Ok now i see clearly now

Cpt Spaulding

Post by Cpt Spaulding »

TheEttinKing wrote:Is my memory drunk cause i remember being able to macro taming on a animal i trapped in my house during this era we did it all the time even with other chars cause of the str gains.
by setting a macro to tame and then release and tame again or are we not going era accurate with this?

I'm sure your "memory is drunk" cause you aren't even old enough to have played back in this era. I doubt your mommy let you play UO when you were 4.
Merchant and pirate were for a long period one and the same person. Even today mercantile morality is really nothing but a refinement of piratical morality.

Bakishwaka

Post by Bakishwaka »

sorry off topic:

fantastic sig

Charles Darwin

Post by Charles Darwin »

Plum wrote:Look... If you did that everyone would leave. Everyone is already ticked off at PK Tamers/Dungeon Tamers enough as it is. There wasn't a lot of anything in T2A, pretty much everything was rare. It takes months to GM most skills in T2A. That's just how it is. If that bothers you then go somewhere else. There are lots of shards with faster gains. UOG Hybrid has really fast gains and there are a ton of tamers just like you.
Wow, your tone of voice sucks in the post, go chill out. :shock:

To reply to the thread starter, I am currently working on my tamer "Charles Darwin" heh...

I've found gains to be painfully slow, but moving none the less...

Slowest gains seem to be from 50 - 65.5
65.5 to 80.0 was very speedy! Taming white wolves was very effective. I used this guide. http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6378

At 80 of course it became inefficient because my turn over rate for WW became so quick, I couldn't possibly reload the room. So I headed to Deulcia to tame giant toads.

My taming stands at 83.7 right now, and gains have been slower then when I first started with polar bears, snow leopards, and walruses.

At 85.5 I hear it speeds up again with the ability to tame Hell Hounds, however I can't confirm that YET. Soon (hopefully by next week at the latest) I can post back in some of the forums I've been lingering around and let everyone know.

Oh and a tip, make sure you work your strength to 100 before you head off to ice island, and your tamer has a starting skill level of 50. Having 100 strength will give you 59.2 taming, making getting to white wolves much faster.

Good luck man!

grimsk

Post by grimsk »

Grandmaster Tamer in OSI were a very rare breed indeed(when i played in 98 ).Hell .. 7 X grandmaster were a rare breed also . Unattended macroing was not tolerated even if a lot of ppl was doing it.So no surprise that a lot of ppl are 7 x grandmaster here.I'm not going to talk about hybrid.It's not a Ultima online shard.It's a joke.It's seem this generation seek insta-gratification.Doing the less and gaining the most.I guess it's the World Of Warcraft syndrome. Mmorpg changed a lot and the mentality of their playerbase also.

I love this shard .I also completly agree with no reward for donation.Although haven't donated for this shard .
I need to see if i will call this shard my home.But i'm quite brokr right now :P

I think that another insta-gratification crap that uohybrid and many shard got.The reward thing . But it's so easy raising skill in hybrid it's not even funny.i don't remember spamming snooping on a player for 5 minutes and gaining 100 dex in 1997.I don't remember doing herding for 20 min and gaining 100 str in 98 .. I certaintly don't remember spamming EI for 5 min and gaining 100 int in 1998.Finnaly .. i don't remember a halfpron colored neon selling for 5 millions gold in 1998.Oh and no .. I don't remember seing a gm tamer in every street.They were a rare breed.