A huge problem/unbalance with UO

Topics related to Second Age
superdunk

A huge problem/unbalance with UO

Post by superdunk »

I've been playing this game for sometime and it seems there is a huge, glaring problem that takes away from uniqueness available via so many skill classes and forces players into a very narrow passage as far as character goes.

That problem is:

Too much emphasis on magic.

Let's face it, the way the game is set up, you are half screwed if your char doesn't have magic. Just getting around the world is PITA without recall, never mind trying to fight something big.

If I want easy money I just go fight dragons with my mage. But I don't actually fight. I cast Blade Spirits and run away. The work is done for me.

Now let's take a guy with no magic and just fighter - well, have fun with that, he is fucked - there is 0 chance he can kill a dragon in hand to hand.

So the problem is, if you want a char with no magic, the game just got 500% harder and near impossible. How the hell do you beat a leech lord or a demon with just armor sword and some band aids like in a good story?

anyway that's one opinion.

Dick Cheney

Re: A huge problem/unbalance with UO

Post by Dick Cheney »

So what are you suggesting?

superdunk

Post by superdunk »

The way I see it, big monsters were created for team killing. Like 4-6 people going at a dragon, 2 mages healing 4 fighting.

off the top of my head:

blade spirit damage reduced - yeah sucks but it promotes individualism like taming dragons and doing killing with them does as well. it should be a TEAM game when it comes to big things killing.

For guys with no magic - there should be a thing in each town you can click on and get tele to where you choose - city/ dungeon I've played with this feature before it was great and much more fair to those without recall.

when on the move - recall scrolls should not have any magic req's. if I have 0 magic but stuck in bum fuck nowhere I should have a way to get home - and paging Gm every time just adds to their work.

As far as fighting - honestly, I don't know. I think this is where chars get screwed the hardest - there is NO WAY you can beat a big monster with just a sword and some bandaids without running around the corner every 10 seconds to heal. Perhaps armor could protect better where 1 hit couldnt take more than 10-15% off your life. perhaps weapons could do more damage so you don't have to jerk off a dragon for 30 mins before he dies.. something must give.

Daolin
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daolin »

one problem.. This is a T2A replica server

superdunk

Post by superdunk »

Daolin wrote:one problem.. This is a T2A replica server
Replicas are never as good as authentic. This server can get an authentic feel via slight modifications.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

superdunk wrote:
Daolin wrote:one problem.. This is a T2A replica server
Replicas are never as good as authentic. This server can get an authentic feel via slight modifications.
By changing things for 'balance' rather than staying true to what was actually on osi at the time? What modifications would you make so that we would be more inline with authentic T2A?
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

superdunk

Post by superdunk »

Listen, I remember groups of people going boss hunting and dragon hunting. Not this individualism. And reasons are two fold - too many people playing /too few big monsters and nobody should be able to kill a dragon by himself.

and the point about magic stands- too much reliance on it. why the hell have other 30-40 skills when you can have magic and do everything with it.

hai t2a

Post by hai t2a »

superdunk wrote:Listen, I remember groups of people going boss hunting and dragon hunting. Not this individualism. And reasons are two fold - too many people playing /too few big monsters and nobody should be able to kill a dragon by himself.

and the point about magic stands- too much reliance on it. why the hell have other 30-40 skills when you can have magic and do everything with it.
I understand what you are saying, but you really are wasting your breath here... nothing will ever be changed.

I for one do not thing all these big monsters should be so easy to solo, I remember people going out in grouped of 3-5 to farm monsters like those.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

As to magic. that is something you'll need to ask the original developers.

as far as solo-ing dragons and whatnot, I used to do it all the time with an archer. the main times i ever saw group hunting was for guild run dungeon crawls, ancient wyrm/balron hunts, and level 3-5 treasure hunting.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

this isnt everquest

Badea

Post by Badea »

fooka03 wrote:the main times i ever saw group hunting was for guild run dungeon crawls, ancient wyrm/balron hunts, and level 3-5 treasure hunting.
As I understand it, that used to happen a lot in Trammel. Can't speak from personal experience, I never went there, but it's what I heard.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Recalling at 0 magery with a scroll is possible.

PvP dexers that gear up are just as hard, if not harder to kill than a mage.

You expect someone that invests in sword parry and healing to be able to kill something equally as good as someone who invests their time/money in magery? ... not a chance. Swords/parry/healing costs you what? 5k cloth and 2 days? ... Magery costs you around 60-80k and a few days more. Seems a little unbalanced to me if someone can invest in different skills that cost SOOOOOOOOO much less to work, they shouldn't have the same effectiveness in the world as Magery.

Not to mention, on OSI, Magery took an extremely long amount of time to GM as well as tons more resources. I remember afk casting air elementals for days just go get a few points.

Kamora
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kamora »

superdunk wrote:Listen, I remember groups of people going boss hunting and dragon hunting. Not this individualism.
I will have to disagree here. One of the things i missed about old UO was the "individualism", or solo warrior. With each new expansion OSI added nerfed the solo warrior so bad to the point of forcing group play simular to WOW.

Old UO gave two choices: everyone was happy :)

-- when you wanted to play solo, you were able to get the best magic items alone.
-- when you wanted to play in your group, you were able to get more of the good stuff and split it.

New UO: one option!

--groups only, because the solo warrior has no chance at all to obtain the best items in game alone.

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

People who complain about all this haven't really examined the full range of options available to warriors. I pvp and pvm on a pure warrior (with poisoning and parry). By equipping good magic armour and weapons I was able to solo lich lords easily and obtain very good loot from them. You can also recall using scrolls at 0 magery so you still have the fast travel option/

I also think warriors in pvp are even with tank mages as long as they equip properly.

superdunk

Post by superdunk »

You say magic takes a long time to build and I agree for the 8th circle. But for blade spirits you can cast it out of the gate.

in fact, here is how you make thousands of gold within minutes of making your char.

magic at 50
beg for recall / mark /blade spirit scrolls
buy regs for 100gp you get

go to destard and bs spam until dragon dies. take $$ to the bank. rinse and repeat.

now, make a warrior.
scratch your head on how to get anywhere near destard. may be buy recall scrolls, go there. ???? you are dead since you suck and can't scratch a dragon.

But as the guy above me said, it appears it can be done. I'd love to hear more about how you go about pvm with warrior only and what items you need.