Making your own shovels vs. buying them.

Topics related to Second Age
superqtip182

Making your own shovels vs. buying them.

Post by superqtip182 »

So I can get 6gp per piece for iron ingots. A shovel is 14gp at the shop in minoc. Making a shovel 6 ingots (which you can get 24 gp for), so it's cheaper to buy shovels than to make them yourself.

Or is it? Do exceptional shovels last longer/does the life of a shovel depend the skill of the tinker?

Last edited by superqtip182 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weigraf

Re: Making your own shovels vs. buying them.

Post by Weigraf »

I made my own shovels to GM mining.

I did this not for a monetary reason, but because I slowly raised some tinkering and other stats, and the exceptional ones seem to last longer.

Also, while mining it is convenient to just carry a tool kit and keep mining.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Weigraf wrote:raised some tinkering
This is why I did it. Between shovels for mining and lock picks for... lock picking, I got my tinkering into the high 70's.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

Workdawg

Post by Workdawg »

I'm not sure if exceptional shovels last longer or not. I read someplace that exceptional mortar and pestle last twice as long, so it wouldn't surprise me if exceptional shovels did as well. If they did, that would make it worthwhile to make them, as 2x shovels is 28gp, vs the 24 you would sell the iron for.

You could easily test this by simply counting the number of hits you get per regular shovel versus an exceptional one. Or, if you mine the same location often, you could make an educated guess by just bringing regular shovels on a mining trip one time, and exceptional the next, and see how many you have left at the end from mining the same area.

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

Exceptionals last longer for sure. I wanna say its around 50 strikes for an NPC shovel, and around 70-75 for an exceptional.

Also, shovels use 4 ingots to make, not 6.
Valorite: The metal with mettle.