House Decoration Contest - Results are in!

Topics related to Second Age
Maahes

House Decoration Contest - Results are in!

Post by Maahes »

Here are the entries for the house decoration contest.

Judges will now have to provide me with their evaluation. You can use any criteria to judge but please make the final result out of 50 points. Send your detailed evaluation report to me in a forum or irc PM and I will release them all at the same time and declare the winner.
This thread will remain locked until all results are released

Thanks to everyone for participating and good luck! :)

Entry 1
entry1-1.jpg
entry1-2.jpg
entry1-3.jpg
entry1-4.jpg

Maahes

Re: House Decoration Contest - Entries

Post by Maahes »

Entry 2
Attachments
hd-art music balcony.jpg
hd-bar-tavern-lunchroom.jpg
hd-bedroom.jpg
hd-bedroom2.jpg
hd-entertainment patio-music-jesters.jpg
hd-memorial.jpg
hd-poker-chess balcony-pond tower.jpg
hd-pond tower.jpg
hd-science lab.jpg
hd-stonehenge.jpg
hd-study.jpg
hd-workshop.jpg

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Entry 3
Attachments
smiths work shop in back room with storage for extra smithed items. runes libarary to every i need to go. 4 chest to the left is an armoury for guild, barrel by workshop is for repairs. kegs are for guild. chest at back is for temporary storage and donations to guild (not inforced), crate on steps is grandfathered and used for item exchange b/n alts.
smiths work shop in back room with storage for extra smithed items. runes libarary to every i need to go. 4 chest to the left is an armoury for guild, barrel by workshop is for repairs. kegs are for guild. chest at back is for temporary storage and donations to guild (not inforced), crate on steps is grandfathered and used for item exchange b/n alts.
mass storage, and alchemy room. all magic items are divided into categories (thxs dark radiance for influence). mass arrow and aids storage, crate with keys is for all things t-maps.
mass storage, and alchemy room. all magic items are divided into categories (thxs dark radiance for influence). mass arrow and aids storage, crate with keys is for all things t-maps.
textiles area, and guild room with guild colours, event sign up area.
textiles area, and guild room with guild colours, event sign up area.
events arena, should i ever want to put one on! with stable to side for mounts
events arena, should i ever want to put one on! with stable to side for mounts

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Entry 4
Attachments
entry4-1.jpg
entry4-2.jpg

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Entry 5
Attachments
Second floor during the day.  This is decorated as a barracks with facilities for guards to sleep and take relaxation.
Second floor during the day. This is decorated as a barracks with facilities for guards to sleep and take relaxation.
First Floor.  The War room, where all decisions are made by the leadership group.  A standing harp is in place to entertain the leaders during meals.
First Floor. The War room, where all decisions are made by the leadership group. A standing harp is in place to entertain the leaders during meals.
Shot of keep at night, showing how well it up it is.
Shot of keep at night, showing how well it up it is.
First floor at night.
First floor at night.
Second floor at night.
Second floor at night.
Alchemist room. For the production and storage of all matter of potions.
Alchemist room. For the production and storage of all matter of potions.
Food Storage / Oven nearby for preparation of roasted meats and bread.
Food Storage / Oven nearby for preparation of roasted meats and bread.
Scribes room with a quiet area to work.
Scribes room with a quiet area to work.
Stairs down to the scribes area, no major work is held in this area to ensure a quiet environment for the scribes below.
Stairs down to the scribes area, no major work is held in this area to ensure a quiet environment for the scribes below.
Outside front of keep.
Outside front of keep.
Outside of rear of keep.
Outside of rear of keep.
Tailors facility. This area has everything a tailor/leatherworker requires to ensure a high quality grade of work.
Tailors facility. This area has everything a tailor/leatherworker requires to ensure a high quality grade of work.
Carpentry and Bowyer workshop.  Many bows have been made in this area, such as the ones used by the guards within the fortress.
Carpentry and Bowyer workshop. Many bows have been made in this area, such as the ones used by the guards within the fortress.
Blacksmithy.  For many hours men have worked in this workshop to ensure our customers have the best weapons and armor available to them to purchase.  From iron to gold armor, and from halberds to longswords many types of wares have been forged in this area.
Blacksmithy. For many hours men have worked in this workshop to ensure our customers have the best weapons and armor available to them to purchase. From iron to gold armor, and from halberds to longswords many types of wares have been forged in this area.
Storage room. With a thriving workshop below there is often requirements for items to be stored within these crates.
Storage room. With a thriving workshop below there is often requirements for items to be stored within these crates.

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Entry 6
Attachments
entry6-1.JPG
entry6-2.JPG

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Entry 7
Attachments
entry7-1.jpg

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Entry 8
Attachments
1st.JPG
2nd.JPG
3rd.JPG
4th.JPG
couch.JPG
hut.JPG

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

Final results are here!
Note: EddieVanHalan was excluded, he hasn't been around.

Judge 1 = Hoots; Judge 2 = DrFaustus; Judge 3 = Jaster; Judge 4 = Maahes

Note: Judge 3's Rubric: 5 point scale with 4 categories: [in this order]
Organization [is it so cluttered that you couldn't move]
Usefulness [will you actually use it like this]
Theme [does it look like you kept a general theme]
Creativity [what sets what you have done apart from the rest]

1. Score 35/50
Comments – Don’t like leaving the table security set up in for the deco contest. I like the simple look without overcrowding. 2nd and 3rd floors are simple but not very impressive. I like the use of colors and Letters on the roof.

2.The first level of your tower is interesting. While I'm not a fan of llama fur, I am a fan of clean...I'm willing to bet you dust a lot. The forge room really sells the first room, the varying ingot stack is really neat. The 2nd/3rd floor look nice, but fairly plain. I do like the light fixtures attached to the bucklers though. The 4th floor is where this entry truly shines in my opinion. I like the use of ore, especially the valorite keg decor in the corner (The bar better be a wet one!).
If this house loses any points it's due to the 2nd and 3rd floors...I feel as if you could've done something a bit more with them, otherwise nice house.
40/50

3. [ 5, 4, 1, 1] = 11

1.Originality: 15/25
2.Layout/functionality/organization: 10/10
3.Difficulty: 4/10
4.Bonus: 0/5
Total: 29/50

Comments: Love the look on the rooftop with the ore and setup, Other floors got you points for usefulness and layout, I also liked the little corner lamps. You picked a very big house and I felt you left a little bit too much empty space. Overall very nice and cozy looking place.

TOTAL SCORE: 115/170

1. Score 35/50
Comments – Really like the interior keep room, bedrooms and the alchemy room. Nice combination of different things in different areas but the house seems to lack a flow or theme. Don’t care for the Red and blue color schemes and I think the fur steps do not look good.

2. Wow! Where to begin with this beast...
Workshop: Very, very, very cool! Though the llama fur makes baby Jesus cry. I really like the use of tables in this room. It really stands out against the keep's stone surface. I'm also liking the way you blocked off the doorway with the chests, and have it setup like a private workshop. Between the hanging boxes and double water trough assembly line, I have to say this room is exquisite.
Study: Simple, quiet, and a huge pile of books on the floor. Looks like my study room!
Stonehenge: Not sure I understand the reference.
Science: Another kickass portion of your home! Wow, the use of rares here is just unmatched. While I don't want to give any bonus points for rare collecting this is definitely deserving of some extra credit for shear creativity! Good job on this setup...looks like something I would see at the science building in my school (Aside from the blood pentagrams on the floor).
Pond: The tops of your towers are a huge selling point when it comes to the decor of your house. I absolute love the pond/sea setup you've managed to achieve with just a few yards of blue cloth and some cotton. Excellent job...
Chess: Who doesn't want to sit-down to a game of chess?
Memorial: Who is the memorial dedicated to?
Entertainment: Looks a bit...unorthodox, but works. The llama fur is a HUGE turn-off for me.
Bedroom 2: Cozy room...hope there's a fire escape down there.
Bedroom: That's not a bondage whip on your bed, is it?
Bar-tavern: Ah yes! The personality of the home...can't say I don't love a solid bar. But it looks to me like you've got enough supplies to host half the server...why haven't I been invited to happy hour here again?
Music: I hope you're good at playing those instruments...

The only thing about this home that confuses me is the lack of an overall theme, it seems as if each room is just one of a kind. Which isn't a bad thing.
50/50

3. [ 5, 4, 5, 4] = 18

1.Originality: 22/25
2.Layout/functionality/organization: 7/10
3.Difficulty: 10/10
4.Bonus: 2/5
Total: 41/50

Comments: Very Impressive and original. Lost a bit of points for the cluttered look in some areas and Bonus for the amount of work you put into dercorating a full castle. Good job.

TOTAL SCORE: 144/170
______________________________________________________________________________________
Entry 3

1.Score 40/50
Comments – Really like this tower. First floor is simple but organized and looks like a workshop. 2nd floor looks like a really nice organized storage system. Very guild friendly. 3rd floor is a little less impressive but I like the tourney signup and guild colors room. Roof seems to serve a purpose but isn’t very aesthetically pleasing. Very nice entry over all.

2. Can I call your tower a PK's dream? Looks to me like you've got a setup that a talented murderer could live off for years! Props for not using the razor lighting feature too...
Lvl 1: Is that a verite tree I'm seeing? Another clever use of ingots, and resource decor...I like the armory setup. The full plate helms compliment well as does the rune library. Looks like perfect in-and-out entry for pk runs.
Lvl 2: Holy chests batman? I hope those are all filled with goodies, because I'm going to loot you!
Lvl 3: Haha, awesome guild recruitment room. I really like this setup...nothing is too cluttered, and you have done a lot with seemingly very few items. Very clean.
Lvl 4: Nice arena! I like the idea of a stable on the side...I hope to see you hosting events soon.
50/50

3. [ 5, 4, 3, 4] = 16

4. 1.Originality: 18/25
3.Difficulty: 7/10
4.Bonus: 3/5
Total: 35/50

Comments: I thought your tower was very nice and extremely well organized but though it was lacking a bit in the decoration aspect. Bonus points for descriptions and the very the efficient storage you keep.

TOTAL SCORE: 141/170
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Entry 4

1. Score 45/50
Comments – Great house. Love the 1st floor back room, Fish tank looks nice, Front room is a little over crowded but looks good overall, 2nd floor front room also comes off as over crowded to me. 2nd floor back room is a piece of art. Great use of non rares to create a unique display.

2. Ah yes, the infamous L-shapes...one house I've never understood. However, it looks to me like you've got a million dollar home with that setup.
Level 1:
a) Living room - Are those brown sea-wreck pillows? That's probably the best couch I've ever seen in UO btw...the complimenting fireplace setup is badass as well. Not to mention I always love seeing monster statues! Fish tanks are always neat too...nice job on the complimenting black colors.
b) Back room- Are you the one that was always trying to hock that guerilla statue? I love this room...hands down this room is pimp. From the scroll rack to the various aisles of organization it really looks like you've put some time into this room's personality. Even the cleverly placed ingots on the back wall stand out in my opinion...bang up job.
Level 2: Two words...WATERFALL TILE? It's impossible to tell from here, but are you the one that got it? If not the waterfall setup alone is amazing...I really like the use of chests here...and I hope those plants you're growing are legal...A+ for the backpack message too.
51/50 Who utilizes their backpack?

3. [ 4, 4, 5, 5] = 18

1.Originality: 20/25
2.Layout/functionality/organization: 8/10
3.Difficulty: 9/10
4.Bonus: 1/5
Total : 36/50

Comments: Very original waterfall and design upstairs, downstaits is also very nice and cozy with a nice layout. Lost a few points for the lack of room for movement upstairs. Bonus for the cool waterfall.

TOTAL SCORE: 150/170
__________________________________________________________________________________
Entry 5

1. Score 35/50
Comments – I don’t understand the theme with players in capes standing around as decoration. Some very nice rooms in the smith, alchemy room, main room and tailor room but over all I find this entry lacking. The barracks doesn’t do it for me.

2. My hands are hurting after all these houses, and I'm pretty sure the next one is a keep :(

Entry #5: Ah yes, #5...you will take some time, won't you? After a quick overview, looks like a military compound to me...I definitely don't think our Marines would want to trudge around in sea-mist colored capes though :(
Storage: I do hope there's more storage than that! 6 crates for what looks like an army of teal-colored cape men...oh dear.
Smithy: Very clear and concise..I believe you've spent many hours down here forging armors and weapons. One thing I don't understand though...why the hell would anyone make armor out of gold? Wouldn't it just be more profitable to sell the gold? Another UO mystery.
Carpentry: I do hope those tailors below won't mind the constant banging of your carpenters!
Tailor: I definitely like this room. The use of color is well done, and it really brings a feeling of a genuine tailor shop to your home. Good job!
Scribery: I like this room as well. Looks serene...a place where someone could easily write-up a number of full spell books.
Food storage: Awesome job here...you've utilized the infamous sack of flour...the item that broke CUB. Grapes are good too. I like the genuine feel of your keep thus far, and this merely brings that feeling home.
Alchemy: Another strong aspect of your crafting setup...I'm starting to feel this house is more a mule's paradise than a barracks.
First floor: Definitely cool at night and day...You've got the first floor down pat...a meeting hall for your men, and it looks like more storage for your otherwise lacking pack-rat system. Love it.
Second floor: And who could forget where your men are going to sleep. I only count 7 beds...Looks like you might want to invest in some king-sizes unless those guards are female :)
Another amazing entry...I loved the theme, and the use of color. No llama fur is always a plus, and the fact that you pre-marked runes to the insides of your keep's "dead space" just to fill it with a complimentary color deserves and extra point. Nice work.
52/50

3. [ 5, 4, 4, 3] = 16

1.Originality: 23/25
2.Layout/functionality/organization: 9/10
3.Difficulty: 8/10
4.Bonus: 4/5
Total: 44/50

Comments: Love that you even got to decorating the empty green spaces and that you had a nice theme. Bonus points for the cool guards, descriptions, and for having an awesome castle in general.

TOTAL SCORE: 147/170
__________________________________________________________________________________
Entry 6

1. Score 50/50
Comments – I really like this small house… Im actually not sure why I like it so much. It is simple, but I love the theme of actually being “a house” as opposed to a bank with a door on it. The dog and water bowl is a great touch along with the simple table. If Britannia actually existed at sometime I imagine this is what a nice house would look like!

2. Ah yes, the lone small house! I commend your bravery in challenging some of these decoration tyrants .
Level 1: Looks simple enough, practical, functional, zero clutter...even the dog looks happy. Loot proof too...I surely hope your oven has passed the latest safety inspection...would sure hate to see this house burn down.
50/50 (Use of animals is win)

3. [ 5, 2, 4, 1] = 12

4. 1.Originality: 20/25
3.Difficulty: 5/10
4.Bonus: 5/5
Total: 40/50

Comments: Very nice and cozy little house, and good job on the second angle with transparency. Bonus for the guts to submit a small house and doing a good job with it, also for the dog. Excellent job :)

TOTAL SCORE: 152/170
Entry 7

1. Score 30/50
Comments – I don’t know where this house is going. The back right room is the high point but im not seeing any theme or purpose for this house. Map stacks and us of pictures are nice. Overall I feel this entry is lacking.

2. The good ol Large brick...I own many. Absolutely the best way to dominate the real-estate market. Now...let us focus on what you've done here.
Entry: Can't say I see anything unique here, looks clean enough...the back tables with the maps are pretty neat. I definitely like the use of lanterns in this home, gives it a certain vibe of old school.
Room 1 (left): Looks like a perfect place to record your day's travels. I do hope those are actually your logs of how many people you've slaughtered, or something interesting like that...
Room 2(Right): Another room waiting to go up in smoke. I do hope that fruit won't spoil from all that heat...Nice place.
45/50

3. [ 5, 3, 3, 1] = 12

4. 1.Originality: 16/25
3.Difficulty: 3/10
4.Bonus: 0/5
Total: 26/50

Comments: Nice and cozy looking house, it just lacks a little original content and looks a little plain but its also a pretty hard house to make look good.

TOTAL SCORE: 113/170
___________________________________________________________________________________
Entry 8

1. Score 43/50 (48)
Comments- To start with I have seen this tower before and I have a character who belongs to this guild. I would vote this house as my 2nd place house at 48/50 but knocked 5 off to account for any bias I may have. Sorry Kylock =(

Hut is amazing, never seen this anywhere in UO before, the water garden is also very nice and the tower roof as a whole is amazing. I do feel this presentation relies a little too much on rares which arnt available easily so I have tried to not give bonus but it is a very nice collection. Bedroom looks great on the 3rd floor, Nice nightstand and bed creation. Fish tank is not as impressive as others I have seen. 2nd floor looks great with the piano. It is the floors strong point as I feel it becomes overcrowded and starts to rely on the wow factor of rares/rewards too much. First floor looks great (and I have no idea how you made that huge pentagram) Im assuming it is a reward/rare and therefore not giving points for it. Take that away and I like the nice use of skulls and bones with the death them. If everyone had access to the rares/rewards I would score this house #1 but since they don’t I have it as the runner up.

2. Level 1: Now this is nice...the entire first floor screams death...whether you're stepping on the massive blood pentagram on the floor or shivering from the cold stones of the keep floor this house definately gives me the chills... I really like the use of grey pillows for each book stand. Hope you're wearing socks!
Level 2: After browsing over the entries prior to writing I noticed this level of your entry the most. Wow! The color is just phenomenal...it's almost alien. The use of rares here is also amazing...can't say I've seen something that grabs your attention this well. Great job!
Level 3: Yes, bondage whips! Dual fishtanks, and you still haven't lost that gothic feel...
Level 4: The infamous tower huts...if only you could've bugged a small house on top instead :) Another great bar-setup with a complimenting pond in the corner. Can't say this house is lacking much...you've done a truly bang up job.
51/50. <-- If that's allowed...simply because the theme was kept so well...really gave me the gothic/dark sense.

3. [ 5, 3, 4, 5] = 17

4. 1.Originality: 20/25
3.Difficulty: 8/10
4.Bonus: 1/5
Total: 36/50

Comments: A lot of very cool things in your tower. love the roof and rare room. Bonus point for the cool cabin. Lost a few points for some emptier looking rooms. Overall very nice

TOTAL SCORE: 152/170

So as you all can see we have a tie for first between Entry 6 and Entry 8.
Entry 6 = caveman
Entry 8 = Kylock
Congratulations to you both, you can contact me for prizes.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: House Decoration Contest - Results are in!

Post by BlackFoot »

congrats boys and girls :D
hopefully next time we can get a ton of entries
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Shea

Post by Shea »

Congrats!
[15:52] <Rocks> in sheer poundage Neil Diamond has made more woman horny than KISS/David Lee Roth/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

also gona add the theme to the keep was simply a lords keep
hes got his/her berooms for his queen entertainment for guests on roof with his bar, his study/science lab and tavern for hosting
much like the small hosue the theme was just a lords home

and i cant think of anyhting else to make stairs to the roof out of, fur seem sto cover the entire tile, any ideas?

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

wow, I wrote way too much.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i was kind of expecting the response you gave from everyone
explainations of why you voted the way you did

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

I do find it funny that the small house won. What's the dog(s) name?
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink: