House Decoration Contest - Results are in!

Topics related to Second Age
BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: House Decoration Contest - Results are in!

Post by BlackFoot »

caveman should have entered his real house and see how well he woulda done :P
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

I will say this contest was extremely hard to judge. I feel as if everyone who entered should be given something, but I guess we can't all be winners.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i think there was even less entries to this contest than the first one :<

Senses

Post by Senses »

It was fun for my first try, I really underestimated the kind of entries other's would be making and I think I sent in pics of my tower way to early! It looks amazing now! Anyways, I'll be back next time around, BELIEVE IT! Its my ninja way!

-naruto

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

should post your finished one anyways :D

Shea

Post by Shea »

DrFaustus wrote:I will say this contest was extremely hard to judge. I feel as if everyone who entered should be given something, but I guess we can't all be winners.
Thanks for the effort anyway Faustus. If we had more entries Id say we should do categories based on house size. Otherwise its tough for a 1 month old player to compete with the likes of Kylock :)
[15:52] <Rocks> in sheer poundage Neil Diamond has made more woman horny than KISS/David Lee Roth/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

Senses

Post by Senses »

BlackFoot wrote:should post your finished one anyways :D

bleh, i would, but then it wouldn't be fun for the next contest. You can run by and see it yourself at Turtle Bay :P

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

All great entries!

#2 should have won! Thats a great roof idea, its likely been around awhile but its the first time I have seen it!
#4 is my runner up :)

but crappy grading scale, the small house did so well because it was go small house go! personally don't feel you can get a great vibe from a small house in a deco contest, its just gets the underdog votes, but props though :/

and Krylocks house is uhhh well.... extremely unoriginal (no offence) it looks alright with exception to the bottom two floors

Pulled out all the "classics"

Classic Hut (I once saw a whole top of a castle done like this was pretty neat)
classic Couch
Classic Fireplace
Classic Bed
Classic Fishtank
Classic Piano

I mean just look at Screen shots on Stratics and reproduce :/

The second floor is what? Rares... On a table...? OoOoOOO fancy...

and the main floor is the worse fail of all, the floor has almost no decoration at all a few rune books and a a chest of two? OH WAIT except for the what I can only assume is a STAFF PLACED item likely involving what looks like a player town? fail.

and come on guild mates as judges?

I knew this house was going to win when I saw the original pictures, mainly because people wont look through the rares and classic decorations, and unfortunately thats the case, I do say nice work like I said it does look good but there was no thought but into it, but I will remember for the next contest, Black cloth + Rares = WIN!
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Kylock

Post by Kylock »

Wise wrote:All great entries!

#2 should have won! Thats a great roof idea, its likely been around awhile but its the first time I have seen it!
#4 is my runner up :)

but crappy grading scale, the small house did so well because it was go small house go! personally don't feel you can get a great vibe from a small house in a deco contest, its just gets the underdog votes, but props though :/

and Krylocks house is uhhh well.... extremely unoriginal (no offence) it looks alright with exception to the bottom two floors

Pulled out all the "classics"

Classic Hut (I once saw a whole top of a castle done like this was pretty neat)
classic Couch
Classic Fireplace
Classic Bed
Classic Fishtank
Classic Piano

I mean just look at Screen shots on Stratics and reproduce :/

The second floor is what? Rares... On a table...? OoOoOOO fancy...

and the main floor is the worse fail of all, the floor has almost no decoration at all a few rune books and a a chest of two? OH WAIT except for the what I can only assume is a STAFF PLACED item likely involving what looks like a player town? fail.

and come on guild mates as judges?

I knew this house was going to win when I saw the original pictures, mainly because people wont look through the rares and classic decorations, and unfortunately thats the case, I do say nice work like I said it does look good but there was no thought but into it, but I will remember for the next contest, Black cloth + Rares = WIN!
Hhmm.. if you had read through the descriptions/scoring you would have noticed Hoots gave me -5 points off the start, to eliminate any bias feelings.. I've only spoken to him 2-3 times, and seen him in game twice. Not really a swing vote if you know what I mean.

The blood pentagram is an acquired item through trophy points, not staff placed.

The bottom floor is my rune library, not meant for anything else.

I've never seen another hut like that, so I take pride in my work of a custom idea that took me 2+ hours to build, and ive moved it from my old tower, so another 2hrs to rebuild.

The fireplace, hut, and aquarium were completely from scratch I assure you I didn't look at a screenshot for those.

But anyways -- It shouldn't matter.

I took 6+ hours working on this tower

Anyone can throw together a small house with a bed, stove oven, and chest within 5 minutes and catch pity votes (especially someone like caveman who spent 700k on 100 trophy pts from me a month ago)

Way to beat the system

Good job all entries!

Senses

Post by Senses »

Oh well, I figure I'll post my new design now anyways, even though the contest is over. I had alot of fun doing it and probably by the next contest, I'll be decorating my new Castle :p I play in full screen so I hope the pics don't suck too much to see whats going on.

Even though you commented on not liking security in Decoration contests, I can't imagine having a house in UO without it, so I tried to clean it up and make it more apart of the design rather than sticking out.

This is the Office, where all the activities take place!

This is the tailoring dojo. Needs more Sheep IMHO.

This is my Tower Bar and Grill. If and when I do upgrade from my tower, I'm going to open this up to the public and add a vendor up top for those romantic cyber sessions. I'm sure Akasha will visit!

Also, for the comments by Wise. Maybe some of the stuff Kylock did was used before, but cmon, I'm sure every idea has already been done before in an 11 year old game and it takes alot of energy to do what Kylock did even if he didn't actually have the idea himself. Just looking at his house, I'm sure he's the type of person who could decorate a small 1 bedroom great even without all the fancy rares and such. All the judges were voted on by us, and I trust all of them we're fair. I know i deserved the score I got. More entrants and perhaps better categories would clean this up for next time. Congrats to the winners, and see you next contest.

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

I saw the deductions for guild members, but even that alone proves the bia, not saying that he did vote that way, but just saying that it does look fishy! and Krylock dont take this as a personal attack friend, all the stuff you have in your house definitely took time and effort to do, but its all the MAIN classics, my point is a nicely placed piano, or well done fishtank looks great, but when you use every trick in the book, it looks to tacky, like a SUV with, spinning rims, UV light, Lowered with a lift kit, Xbox360 in the trunk with a spoiler and flame paint job that turns into a TRex... right a little much but you get the point? I think detail > Rares is important, but that's coming from a vet decorator from Great Lakes & beyond *(I think towers are the house house that can be decorated with amazement and I no not own one thus not entering the comments, I noted this to avoid flames thank you very much) I will say that is an impressive cabin, I have seen a many and its well done ;) I actually like the whole roof, but the rest of the house like I said is just mirrors and smoke (black cloth and rares), and frankly I think the small house deserves it even less, 2 house add on deeds, and some books?

In closing, I think your house is well done Krylock, but like I said its like a movie with too many A stars, you need supporting actors

(p.s sorry the pentagram is cool then, but your house is part of a guild town is it not?)
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

I am in no way affiliated with any of the contestants. Maahes was a judge as well. I wasn't too harsh on anyone imo, though I probably should've knocked off the small house. IMO if you entered you should get something, otherwise competitive feelings are going to turn this into something it wasn't meant to be. Maybe the winners should get a diff. color or something, but again that's just how I'd handle it.

venox

Post by venox »

woot, good show
ive been waiting to see these.

i am entry 3!
and i get a reference to being a pk house! well i guess that shows the efficiency of it all.
not sure which is the valorite tree? i have white poppies inside, pretty much my only rare i have. i received it for helping derrick and maahes out with a bug back when server was in its early stages.

and i would agree as the level goes up so the deco fails somewhat. i think that is because i have decorated as i have needed it, and its just evolved into what it is today. basically the form of my deco has followed the function. and all my usage as centred around the lower levels.

if i was to pick a overall winner, it would be b/n entry 2 4 5 and 8.

2. the bottom is great and all ties in nicelly and i feel it is all well consider with a good use of space to deco ratio. but i am not conviced about the water pools, in the end it still looks too much like cloth and when its trying not to be cloth...
and those llama fur steps fit into that same thing as a just said.

4 is well designed, it maintains a theme through out the entire building, yet remain functional through out. one thing im not convinced about is the table block the stairs to the top, something i personnally would find a hassle to to get around. and also the use of black cloth for the floor upstairs, im not sure if that adds anything.

5 gives the feel of a real military fort or barracks. and i like the use of the guild colours throughout the keep and the simplicity of the design.

8. pulls out all the bells and whistles in part i would agree with previous comments that it is just that. but at the same time im not so sure, for in many ways it does look like a mad mages tower.

so yea tuff call. still not sure who id pick

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

still lookin for suggestions of waht to make stairs out of :P i know its ugly but i cant find anythign else :< ive tried different shields, carpentered items, tailored stuff, cant find anything

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Marble table