Run UO or POL

Topics related to Second Age
DavidPaluch

Run UO or POL

Post by DavidPaluch »

I was wondering why, Derrick, did you choose Run UO as the emulator. I remember playing WAY back when there was another server called NOS (Novus Opiate Seclorum) stupid name for a T2A emulator shard but it was just like this and running on POL. There was very little glitch bugs like the desynch one for a big example. And the game just seemed to run allot smoother. Now i dont know really the difference and I am probably ignorant to 95% of the scripting processes if not all that go on behind the scenes. But i do know this, I was actually able to kill a red or 2 in that time. Now it just seems i can never get the upper hand because im always having to hit the sync button or paper doll. It really annoying. I know Derric you would have done something by now if you could. Please do not misunderstand me. I just am trying to understand things my self.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Run UO or POL

Post by Soma »

The POL server that Probe (Admin of NOS) used was HEAVILY modified, it would have taken months to even get to a beta state. Not to mention that speedhacking was prevalent on 90% of POL servers, RUO has a lot of features which prevent it from being as easy to accomplish.

I also remember NOS having some borderline-genius developer (Anarchic or something), I doubt without him that NOS-POL would have even been possible.

Lastly the desynch thing seems to be only an issue here, I've played many other RUO shards over the last 5~ years with desynching happening only sporadically.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

Soma wrote:The POL server that Probe (Admin of NOS) used was HEAVILY modified, it would have taken months to even get to a beta state. Not to mention that speedhacking was prevalent on 90% of POL servers, RUO has a lot of features which prevent it from being as easy to accomplish.

I also remember NOS having some borderline-genius developer (Anarchic or something), I doubt without him that NOS-POL would have even been possible.

Lastly the desynch thing seems to be only an issue here, I've played many other RUO shards over the last 5~ years with desynching happening only sporadically.
Yea desync bit me in the ass last night, Jigsaw was running from a White Wyrm and a pissed off friend of a tamer after I EV'd his animals and I desync'ed while running West.. nonetheless they had a PK sandwich and Ill be down for a week (I never take stat, so DONE with building characters)

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Soma wrote:The POL server that Probe (Admin of NOS) used was HEAVILY modified, it would have taken months to even get to a beta state. Not to mention that speedhacking was prevalent on 90% of POL servers, RUO has a lot of features which prevent it from being as easy to accomplish.

Probe was a great shard operator, and his T2A version for PvP was in my opinion better than UOSA's. Anarchic was a non-factor. Probe, Khiafin, and Mark built SPHERE. Probe and Khiafin worked on the T2A shard for a little under 3 years while Mark helped build UOG after his A2 failed. Speedhacking was indeed big on NOS. Do you remember the GMs name on the T2A NOS from Germany that started with "R"?
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

DavidPaluch wrote:I was wondering why, Derrick, did you choose Run UO as the emulator.
RunUO is a really well engineed system (I'm not saying POl isn't, I haven't seen much of it), and at the time that I began working on Second Age, RunUO development and its community were very very active.

Also. I love C#.

Actually, only because I love C#.

tl;dr: C#
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Rydaro was the German GM, and Anarchic was one hell of a developer, he created the "Obituary" bots which were probably the most fun thing I've ever seen on a UO freeshard/MMORPG. I spent countless hours dueling that thing, almost went broke running out of regs.

If memory serves POL shards required a new programming language (POLHOOK or something along those lines). If you had to choose between an emulator that required a new programming language or an emulator that used a language that you were already familiar with - the choice would be simple.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Rydaro! :> ty

Also, imo POL > RunUO just comparing POL servers that I've played with UOSA. For the player that is, for the player.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.