Dexterity and Swing Time

Topics related to Second Age
morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Dexterity and Swing Time

Post by morgan1109 »

I agree with Malaikat. The additional INT is very useful. Mage’s get pissed when their mindblast does mediocre damage. It’s a spell specifically designed to mess up dexxers, and when it doesn’t work well their plan has to change. Being in full armor means you can’t med. Your starting int will determine how much you can cast in a fight. It’s worth pushing the envelope to get the INT. You’ll be glad you did if the fight goes on for a bit.

The chest does get hit 3 times more than any other body part. The heavy tactical suit does make a lot of sense if you’ve got the int/dex to spare. It’s really best against other dexxers and PVM uses though where most of the damage coming in is melee based. If you PVP you will face mostly mages, and the regular dex suit handles them fine. Having an extra heal you can cast will offset any additional damage blocked. Honestly it doesn’t hurt to have a set of both around.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Post by Dunder Mifflin Inc »

So if I have a dexer and use broadsword mainly, what should my stats be?

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

100/91/34

But the cutlass has the best AVG damage of 1-hand swords (aside from katana). It's the same speed as a broadsword, but it's minimum damage is 6 instead of 5 with 1 less max.
Last edited by Malaikat on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Post by Dunder Mifflin Inc »

Malaikat wrote:100/91/34

Thank you. And if I always chug a blue?

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

I think that is assuming blue pots and feeblemind applied.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

91 dex would get a cutlass or broadsword to 1.74 weapon speed.
100 dex would be 1.67 weapon speed
111 dex (91+ agility pot) would be 1.58 weapon speed
120 dex would be 1.51 weapon speed. You are right on the line. Of course this would leave you with just the standard 25 INT which would make you easily mind blasted.

Malakait’s suggested 91 dex plus pot approach is more sound than full dex. You can run PVM with a 1.74 weapon speed no problem, and save the pots for PVP. 1.58 weapon speed should easily disrupt PVP mages.

34 int is lower than I would want to run in PVP, but it’s doable. 89 wouldn’t be a bad place either, as you would be just under 1.6 seconds which is where most like to be. 85 dex with pot would give you a 1.62 weapon speed and 6 more points in INT. That’s such a small difference that it really doesn’t matter. I typically want at least 40 INT on my PVP dexxers though. That’s why I would try and get by with 85 dex before moving up. 33 is the lowest INT I would ever consider going for PVP. Malakait is suggesting 34 so he is pushing you a little closer towards the dex side than I would personally want. He’s maximizing your dex side, while leaving a little bit of room for casting. I want a bit more casting ability. That’s the only real difference.

I prefer the broadsword over the cutlass. It’s personal taste really. It’s got a bit broader range of damage, but not enough to really matter. Broadswords can have 30 points more in durability. If I’m going to buy a high end sword, I’d prefer the more durable one so it lasts longer. They are very much an interchangeable weapon with nearly identical stats so use both!
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

How many ticks does it take to load a greater heal?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Malaikat wrote:Third, which is really only pertinent if you're using 2-hand weapons. You can never cycle and swing faster than the shard's 1 second action delay will allow. Which with 1 sec on and 1 sec off is once every 2 seconds.
I'd like to point out if you have a macro which "holds" the weapon for a second instead of putting it in your pack, you can cycle at the fastest possible speed a weapon can be swung, however you also have to deal with the equip delay, which I'm pretty sure is 1s anyway. This would put the fastest possible swing time at 2.25s for cycling.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

Malaikat wrote:How many ticks does it take to load a greater heal?
Spell Casting Ticks = 1 + (Circle * 1)
Spell Casting Delay = 0.25 + (Circle * 0.25)

4th takes 5 ticks (1.25 seconds) to cast.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

I’m sure Malakait knows the timer on a greater heal, heh heh. I’m pretty sure that was a nod toward his recommendation of 91 dex and 1.58 weapon speed, and my recommendation of 89 and 1.6 weapon speed. I never figured out the relevance to the question so I never responded. A .02 additional weapon speed differential doesn’t seem to have an impact on the heal timer.

There probably is some relevance. I just can’t see it. Both 1.58 and 1.60 are greater than a greater heal 1.25 second heal cast. It isn’t until the 14th greater heal cast in a row before the 91 dex would interrupt and the 89 dex wouldn’t.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

No it was a legit question. For some reason I couldn't recall the formula...

Faust

Post by Faust »

morgan1109 wrote:I’m sure Malakait knows the timer on a greater heal, heh heh. I’m pretty sure that was a nod toward his recommendation of 91 dex and 1.58 weapon speed, and my recommendation of 89 and 1.6 weapon speed. I never figured out the relevance to the question so I never responded. A .02 additional weapon speed differential doesn’t seem to have an impact on the heal timer.

There probably is some relevance. I just can’t see it. Both 1.58 and 1.60 are greater than a greater heal 1.25 second heal cast. It isn’t until the 14th greater heal cast in a row before the 91 dex would interrupt and the 89 dex wouldn’t.
Timers increment by ticks (0.25) seconds. There is no 1.58, 1.6, .99, etc... type of delays in game. If something calculates as 1.58 the value would actually be 1.75. So in other words 1.58 and 1.6 would actually hold the same value on a timer. The same holds true for 1.5000001 and 1.749999999 coming out to a 1.75 delay value.

Better to just determine values by ticks instead of actual decimal values and calculate the tick value for how much time is on the timer.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

Faust - You are absolutely right.

The main reason to think in decimals as opposed to ticks is to gauge the amount of stamina loss, before you get knocked down to the next tick. At 89 I can lose 17 stamina before I drop from the 1.75 tick to the 2.0 tick. Malakait at 91 can lose 19 stamina before he drops a tick. At 85 you would be looking at a 13 stamina loss.

Most people don’t think in terms of 13, 17, and 19 stamina. People know the next tick is at 1.75. People know they don’t want 1.72 because it will only take one Ebolt or mace hit before they lose a quarter second. They know being in the 1.6 range gives them a comfortable buffer.

That’s how they think about it. It makes sense to write in those terms, even though your way is a more accurate representation. We are pushing them toward a larger buffer in the conversation, without actually saying it. if we simply stated 72+ dex, we'd see a lot of people in the 72-80 range when they are probably best served with and 85-92 range.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Faust wrote:
morgan1109 wrote:I’m sure Malakait knows the timer on a greater heal, heh heh. I’m pretty sure that was a nod toward his recommendation of 91 dex and 1.58 weapon speed, and my recommendation of 89 and 1.6 weapon speed. I never figured out the relevance to the question so I never responded. A .02 additional weapon speed differential doesn’t seem to have an impact on the heal timer.

Timers increment by ticks (0.25) seconds. There is no 1.58, 1.6, .99, etc... type of delays in game. If something calculates as 1.58 the value would actually be 1.75. So in other words 1.58 and 1.6 would actually hold the same value on a timer. The same holds true for 1.5000001 and 1.749999999 coming out to a 1.75 delay value.

Better to just determine values by ticks instead of actual decimal values and calculate the tick value for how much time is on the timer.
Good idoc buddy
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.