Dexterity and Swing Time

Topics related to Second Age
thejavabuddha

Dexterity and Swing Time

Post by thejavabuddha »

I've read somewhere that there is a maximum (or minimum...I mean quickest) swing time for a character, and that going over a certain dex is pointless as it doesn't increase swing time (although I guess it would give more room for dex loss durring a battle before you had to drink a potion.) Does anyone know anything about this? I've done a search, but the terms that I'm looking up are so general, I'm not getting anything close to what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Arhat - GM Dexxer
Alister - GM Mage
Calvin Klein - GM Blacksmith
Thom - GM Bard
IKEA - Crappy Carpenter

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Dexterity and Swing Time

Post by morgan1109 »

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the minimum swing time is 1.5 seconds. The katana, Kryss, and Dagger are the only weapons who can achieve 1.25 swing time with 100 Dex. So they would be the only candidates for reaching max with less than 100 dex.

if you get to 120 dex (pot whore) then the following weapons should all be at 1.5 seconds:

Scimitar, War Fork, Broad Sword, Cutlass, Spear (2-H), Quarterstaff, Short Spear (2-H), Wrestling, Kryss, Dagger, and Katana

if the minimum swing time is 1.25 instead of 1.5 everything requires 100 dex to reach max swing speed, and the conversation is moot:)
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

A few things to consider:

First, swing speed isn't based on dex...it's based on stamina. They're interrelated but it's an important distinction to draw.

Second, you can calculate weapon swing speed using the formula: 15,000 ÷ ( [Stamina +100] x Weapon Speed )

For a cutlass the speed is 45, so assuming 100 dex it goes

15,000/(200x45) = 15,000/9000 = 1.6666666 sec/swing

So 100 dex is a complete waste if you want to primarily use a cutlass. Especially if you're going to carry dex pots and use red pots often.

Weapon Chart
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Weapons

Third, which is really only pertinent if you're using 2-hand weapons. You can never cycle and swing faster than the shard's 1 second action delay will allow. Which with 1 sec on and 1 sec off is once every 2 seconds.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

Additional dexterity above the minimum required for maximum hitting speed with your preferred weapon type provides you with three things:

1) You have additional stamina before you drop below that minimum required for top speed... Meaning, you will stay hitting at max speed just a little bit longer in a fight.

2) It will serve to negate armor dex penalties. You could wear platemail and still hit at max weapon speed.

3) You can run longer before your character runs out of stamina.

Not huge benefits but still, they are there.

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Post by Dunder Mifflin Inc »

Malaikat wrote:
Third, which is really only pertinent if you're using 2-hand weapons. You can never cycle and swing faster than the shard's 1 second action delay will allow. Which with 1 sec on and 1 sec off is once every 2 seconds.

False.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Dunder Mifflin Inc wrote:
Malaikat wrote:

False.
Explain
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Malaikat wrote:
Malaikat wrote:

False.
Explain
double hit
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Pffft

That doesn't count.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Malaikat wrote:Pffft

That doesn't count.
yeah huh
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Capitalist wrote:
Malaikat wrote:
Malaikat wrote:

False.
Explain
double hit

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

He is trying to get to the cap so he is mostly likely a dexxer that is trying to get decent intelligence for some casting, and is leaning toward a hybrid?

Let’s say you have a katana user with 100 dex. His swing timer would be 1.29. Assuming 1.5 seconds is in fact the cap (which I’m not 100% on), you could lower your dex to 73 and have 1.49 seconds and still be “slightly” under the 1.5 second cap. Personally I run 85 on my swords poison dexxer since I run with a plate gorget that saps a dex/stamina point and leaves me an 11 stamina cushion before my swing timer slows to 1.5. I run that way because I do PVM with him against spell casters, and they love to curse. PVP mages also love the Ebolt/explosion spells which can sap stamina. I like the bit of cushion those 11 points provide before my swing slows below 1.5.

You could lower it to 55 if you planned to always be under the effects of a greater agility potion as well since they add 20 agility points. That would be a good PVP hybrid dexxer tactic as it would give you 70 intelligence for casting and protecting against mindblast.

You would need (109 stamina) if you are interested (89 stamina plus agility pot) to reach 1.5 seconds with a quarterstaff. 89 would be your number for the Kryss, or 69 with agility pot. Most tourney’s don’t allow you to drink agility pots though, so you might have to take that into consideration if you plan to tourney with him. You could cast and get 10 stamina if GM mage, but not 20.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

thejavabuddha

Post by thejavabuddha »

Thank you guys! This is some great info. I am trying to see how much of an impact full plate (or at least more plate) would effect my dexxer and also playing around with some ideas about hybrids.
Arhat - GM Dexxer
Alister - GM Mage
Calvin Klein - GM Blacksmith
Thom - GM Bard
IKEA - Crappy Carpenter

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Skip plate and pick up as much int as possible. Mind blast is killer and damages through magic reflect. The 41 or more AR from a nice invuln Dex suit is sufficient

Duul al'Vath
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Duul al'Vath »

thejavabuddha wrote:Thank you guys! This is some great info. I am trying to see how much of an impact full plate (or at least more plate) would effect my dexxer and also playing around with some ideas about hybrids.
You should consider a suit of armor built with hit location in mind.
You can wear a plate tunic that gets hit 44% of the time and use lower grade armor in other areas.
I stock these on my vendor if you want to try one out.

Click on the link in my signature to see a post with details.

Thelonious Black and Otmar the Mad of the UBB
Arms & Armor by Thelonious Black

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Duul al'Vath wrote:
You should consider a suit of armor built with hit location in mind.

Your main concern is manufacturing location. Only buy USA!!