Whats the deal with PvP

Topics related to Second Age
Creager

Re: Whats the deal with PvP

Post by Creager »

Pre-healing, and just holding up a gheal are two different scenarios.

When you say pre-heal, I would assume you are referring to someone casting gheal, then equipping a weapon and continuing to fight. This shows one’s unfamiliarity with the situation, as they attempt to force their next move. In doing so, they would be proving their inability. This is looked down upon because there is no end to this cycle.

When one holds up a gheal specifically when they anticipate their opponent to dump pre-maturely, they’re communicating their familiar with the situation. They are not equipping a weapon and pursuing damage.

When it comes to the ‘fielding,’ anything goes. That includes pre-healing, wands, an ungodly amount of pots…ect.. When it comes to 'duel rules,' certain rules apply. This is designed to reduce the 'luck factor.’ Basically, dueling with this style is going to come down to ‘skill.’

As for why the game favors the tank mage? This is a loaded question. You got to keep in mind the tank mage was never originally intended by the developers. Also, the name ‘tank mage’ was initially used to describe mages who wore full-plate before the t2a expansion.

By now, most who reflect upon Ultima Online: The Second Age, identify it with the tank mage due to the overwhelming popularity of the template during the era. This may have been due to the technical limitations of the era.

The inherit advantage of a mage is the fact most spells are ranged. These spells have the ability to afflict and heal damage from across your screen. Besides an archer, dexers for the most part don’t have this ability. During a time when a good, smooth connection was hard to come by, most may have felt the dexer template was almost useless (besides in-town) since damage was not nearly as controllable. Dexers became more popular as cable and DSL connections became more readily available, along with the arrival of the Renaissance expansion which heavily favored the dexer template. Hence, Dexer templates could be as some old-schoolers would put it, “connection based.”

Furthermore, some would argue that the amount to time to develop the familiarly with the tank mage is much more involved then would dexer or med-warrior. Interestingly enough, some of the best dexers/med-warriors are also familiar with the tank-mage.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Rheoric

Post by Rheoric »

Don't you just love those UOR scrubs?
Nah, I love people like you! Without brashly displaying your shit attitude and general elitism, it would be impossible to tell how much of a tool you really are. You're doing us all a solid, we appreciate it.

Thanks, tool.

Faust

Post by Faust »

You know son... It isn't easy always being the best.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

all the childish remarks aside, something needs to be done about PVP. player numbers are starting to fall i have noticed. only 277 online as of my posting. lowest number iv seen in a while at this time of day.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The server was down for a few extra hours this morning...

The only thing wrong with PVP is that the changes on test center isn't coming fast enough. However, the time that Derrick has to make this quick isn't available since he's on vacation... The pvp here will be nice once the changes on the test center are corrected and fully changed.

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

ClowN wrote:all the childish remarks aside, something needs to be done about PVP. player numbers are starting to fall i have noticed. only 277 online as of my posting. lowest number iv seen in a while at this time of day.
Every time I feel like playing again I make the mistake of coming to these forums first. Its also finals time for some and some nice weather means less time for games. I'd imagine in a couple weeks it'll spike up again.

but I'm a UO:R scrub so I shouldn't play here anyway. =(

Faust

Post by Faust »

Who said UOR players couldn't play?

UOR players are only known for their lack of respect in PVP. RoadKill likes to call it the HALO age mentality, but it was quite obvious that the carebears born in UOR were the result of the disgrace they brought to pvp that flooded over into the shard scene too. People only cared about killing people like it meant something... The only thing that means anything is to be the most skilled player.

Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Faust talking about respect. How cute.

Faust

Post by Faust »

What kind of respect are you referring to Mazer?

I was clearly talking about respect in game for pvp... Did you lose sight of the conversation after a few posts son?

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

Faust wrote:Who said UOR players couldn't play?

UOR players are only known for their lack of respect in PVP. RoadKill likes to call it the HALO age mentality, but it was quite obvious that the carebears born in UOR were the result of the disgrace they brought to pvp that flooded over into the shard scene too. People only cared about killing people like it meant something... The only thing that means anything is to be the most skilled player.
I'm sure we could back and forth about the "skill" factor for ages, seeing as tank mages rely on hally hit rolls and energy bolt rolls to win; same as dexers needing to land hits. But no one wants to listen to that, it gets in the way of massaging their gigantic cyber penises.

A game is meant to be played for fun. Fun is subjective. Fun for you is 1v1-tourney-rules-only PvP, purposely taking out elements of the game that were meant to be used. I will use whatever is at my disposal.

And please, please, do not spout off about respect, either. You are one of most disrespectful people on this forum.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I only disrespect someone here when they show ignorance... Nothing more.

You use item pvp at your disposal instead of skill. Congrats..

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

Faust wrote: You use item pvp at your disposal instead of skill. Congrats..
Hah, actually I don't. I don't have the patience to manage 50 hotkeys, but if I happen to have/find something you can bet I'll use it. Do you swim with one arm? Drive with your elbows? Type with your toes? You intentionally handicap yourself and claim that the more well-prepared people are less skilled. What's the difference between an equip magic reflect jewelry hotkey and a explosion hotkey? Nothing, you're hitting a button on a keyboard and attempting to time it right.

Faust

Post by Faust »

So... Pro baseball players should bring metal bats to the game since it's more superior than the other team? Football players should wear spiked shoulder pads since their opponents aren't? Do you get the picture yet? UO isn't about simply killing, it's about competition at being the better and most skilled player. You throw in item pvp it's about the opposite, luck...

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

Faust wrote:So... Pro baseball players should bring metal bats to the game since it's more superior than the other team? Football players should wear spiked shoulder pads since their opponents aren't? Do you get the picture yet? UO isn't about simply killing, it's about competition at being the better and most skilled player. You throw in item pvp it's about the opposite, luck...
Bad analogy, seeing as those games have actual rules in place, whereas this is a free-flowing environment with little-to-no restrictions.

You still have yet to explain how rolling a 30 damage hally hit and 40 damage energy bolt makes you more skilled than the guy who rolls a 5 and a 9. Preparation and knowing the situation is just as much skill as jamming your harm macro down.

UO is about whatever you want it to be, you (and plenty others, mind you) seem to think that everyone has to play a certain way.

edit: spacing

Pro

Post by Pro »

In pvp i act the same way I'd like people to fight me. No offscreening no potting 1v1, in group fights 2+ members anything goes. Always.