Should UOSA impliment a patch that would allow thieves more

Topics related to Second Age

Should UOSA impliment a patch that would allow thieves more opportunities to steal your gold?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 41

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Should UOSA impliment a patch that would allow thieves more

Post by MatronDeWinter »

This is a completely legitimate poll, please answer honestly.

Pro

Re: Should UOSA impliment a patch that would allow thieves more

Post by Pro »

put a bit of explanation in kthx

Kinarah

Post by Kinarah »

Gold is a heavy stone, and should not be easily stolen. You should be able to steal within a certain range relatively easily. However, it is not fair for thieves to have a high success rate on a large amount of gold. No matter if in or out of town.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Regardless of the claim in the first post, this poll is pretty illegitimate in my view as is describes nothing about a proposed change. This could mean anything from "double click player to get gold" to "all items in backpack are transparent"

If this poll described a legitimate mechanic that is in line with OSI mechanics, you might get valid results.

Jiggo

Post by Jiggo »

The answer to any all all questions about implementation, pose a counter question: Is it era accurate? If so implement it.

This poll is just baiting.

You want us to vote "no", and then claim the server is biased against thievery.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

From: http://www.survey.com/services/how_to_w ... stion.html

How to Write a Poll Question
It is important to follow general guidelines when writing poll questions. These guidelines help ensure that your question is clear and understandable, and that you’ve provided a set of responses applicable to all respondents.

Writing your poll question:

The best poll question is written in a clear, concise, and unbiased fashion. The question text is brief, and leaves no uncertainty as to what is being asked of the respondent. Because reliable data are derived from questions that leave no uncertainty as to what is being asked of the respondent, resist the temptation to include more words than are necessary in question text. To maximize the validity of poll results, question text should be unbiased. Therefore, it is best to avoid interjecting personal opinion into question text.

Avoid complicating your poll question by including multiple dimensions. In other words, a question like “Do you like the appearance and usability of this Web site?” (yes, no) will evoke unclear responses. If a respondent replies “yes,” you will not know whether they liked the appearance, the usability, or both. You are better off asking one question regarding appearance, and a separate question for usability.

Defining your response set:

Response set construction should follow the same guidelines as the construction of poll questions. When developing response sets, try to follow these additional guidelines:

* Include all possible options – Ensure that every respondent is able to answer the question you are presenting. Try to offer complete response sets, and include “None of the above,” “Don’t know/does not apply,” “Decline to state,” etc., where necessary. Respondents who are not presented with an appropriate response option for their needs tend to either skip the question altogether, or worse, select a response option that is not an accurate reflection of how they feel.

* Provide mutually exclusive options – If your question offers a single select response set (as opposed to multiple select), ensure that your response options are clearly different from one another. This will help keep your respondents from becoming confused as to which response option(s) they should select.

* Use appropriate ranges – Do not include ranges with overlapping values. If a respondent wants to enter a value of “5” or “10” to a given question, which of the following poor response options would they select?

0 – 5
5 – 10
10 – 15
15 or more

A better response set would be:

None
1 – 4
5 – 9
10 – 14
15 or more

* Use appropriate scales – Select a scale type that is appropriate for the manner in which you intend to use the results. Two examples of scale types are:

o Balanced scales – Balanced scales should include an odd number of responses (5 or more), and always provide a “middle ground” for respondents. Balanced scales are used when you want to “collapse” the results of the top two (1-2=“Dislike”) or bottom two (4-5=“Like”) scores in your analysis. For example:

1 – Dislike extremely
2 –
3 – Neither like nor dislike
4 –
5 – Like extremely

o Continuum scales – Continuum scales have no literal midpoint, and are best when you want to report an average, or mean score in your results. For example:

1 – Not at all familiar
2 – Slightly familiar
3 – Moderately familiar
4 – Very familiar
5 – Extremely familiar

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

The poll is just here to show that if a voting system was enabled to decide the features of a particular item (in this case the server), the results will always lean towards the majority vote.

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7490

If the polling question was "Would you like to abolish Pre-casting", the results would most certainly remain the same as the majority rules. The point is that enabling a voting system of the masses, defeats the purpose of "UO:Secondage". Majority voting is what led to the implimentation of Player-Friendly features such as Trammel, and equal distribution of Fame/Karma, on EA-Servers. I hope that the players here (myself included) play here to experience T2A, as the era-accuracy is what seperates this from a run of the mill neon-item festival with item bless deeds (other shards).

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

MatronDeWinter wrote:The poll is just here to show that if a voting system was enabled to decide the features of a particular item (in this case the server), the results will always lean towards the majority vote.

If the polling question was "Would you like to abolish Pre-casting", the results would most certainly remain the same as the majority rules. The point is that enabling a voting system of the masses, defeats the purpose of "UO:Secondage". Majority voting is what led to the implimentation of Player-Friendly features such as Trammel, and equal distribution of Fame/Karma, on EA-Servers. I hope that the players here (myself included) play here to experience T2A, as the era-accuracy is what seperates this from a run of the mill neon-item festival with item bless deeds (other shards).

I don't believe this is the reason you posted. No offense, I just don't :D

Painkiller

Post by Painkiller »

If it is era accurate I think it should be done.

If it is not, then NO.

NEXT!

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Whether this post is legitimate or not isn't going to matter, its whether or not this topic is era accurate.

If polls influenced shard implementations versus keeping era accuracy, I'd like to see the statistics on a poll to allow magic damage in town.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Proselyte wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:The poll is just here to show that if a voting system was enabled to decide the features of a particular item (in this case the server), the results will always lean towards the majority vote.

I don't believe this is the reason you posted. No offense, I just don't :D
Read the thread I posted and then look at the Date/Times.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

Gold coins being loose and theivery being ultra subtle-like in a real case scenerio would make it easier to steal say a halbard then it would be a thousand gold coins. Theives have it way too easy as it is after their skills are maxed. Everyone has to keep buying equipment to go out and risk their lives everyday from monsters and reds. I think they should suffer a penalty when a character is in war mode actually and they should suffer temporary bans from even within the places of trade within cities when they have been caught in and punished for their crimes whether by guard or Player. That would force the theives to evolve from lowly banksitters to honest to goodness highwaymen taking the same risks everyone else does each day.
Of course perhaps driving people away from places like Britain is a good thing...mostly killers out there in the wilderness. It would be nice to see some friendly faces, rather then those who jump you when you are most vulnerable out there on your own.
I would like the thieves to work towards positive ends like to either kill or make red the blue characters that spy for killers by provoking them to attack the theives after they run thier packs with clean hands.
There is a place for theives...I have a theif character on hand myself I am working on. But let's pull them away from the city banks and away from the poor minion slave characters who work their trade each day. It's not so much about gold for me but my character's place in this world. Snoop and bandage for example.
And how about more roleplaying from reds! Why not have a warcry, a phrase, or question you ask before engaging in combat set in your hotkeys? It's like everyone has to have a spell prepped and then reprepare it every time the target dissappears whenever anyone goes anywhere. See a Red? Pop him with that meteor/flame strike you readied several screens back...because you know they do it to you.
I know I jumped off course from the question but the real gold to me is the experience of the game...and you got to earn that the only way you can. Who cares if you have a plus 50 sword of vanquishing with 30 earthquake charges if you miss out on the role playing aspect? And I have to say alot of the theives though not the best combatants have proven themselves to be the best roleplayers and worth every item or piece of gold I lost.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

The problem with thieves on this shard is that they are no-goodniks only out to have fun for themselves. They don't try to make you have fun. They will even go as far as to steal from you, which isn't fun for you even though it is fun for them.

They need to play differently.

I propose the following changes:

1. If a player steals and is caught, then he is guardwhacked--whether in town or not.

2. If a player steals and is not caught, a GM should be told, come to that player and wag his finger. And then he should be guardwhacked.

3. After either of these scenarios, if a player steals a second time, his stealing and snooping skills should be converted to an equivalent level of music and provoking. I feel this would make players play as I want them to play.

4. Finally, if a player steals again after rebuilding stealing and snooping, his should be drawn and quartered, his corpse paraded around WBB, his accounts banned during odd numbered hours of the day and even numbers of the night (EST of course) and then Trammel should be implemented.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

A significant Karma loss via theivery should result in a red flag similar to murderers. It isn't era accurate...I am just whisiming at the idea.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

ArchaicSubrosa wrote:A significant Karma loss via theivery should result in a red flag similar to murderers. It isn't era accurate...I am just whisiming at the idea.
Your a fan of Capital punishment and Zero tolerance huh?