Smithing Skill gains.

Sheer Luck

Smithing Skill gains.

Post by Sheer Luck »

Stolen from another thread:
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:Tangar,

while it is era-accurate to drool over hints of necromancy, Necromancing year-old threads here does no one any service: the methods described in this thread, even if they were viable 18 months ago when the thread was created, are no longer viable, because skill requirements have changed (they were found to be inaccurate, and subsequently changed accordingly); you should be commended on performing a Search (many players don't bother), but one should confirm the currency of any search results, before posting any questions.

Your question is therefore, regretably, both silly and moot: for example, no blacksmith (now) can make a katana @ 50 skill ... I will confirm that this is era-accurate.

The best blacksmithing-gains guide is the one presented in the wiki; I will remark on one fault that this guide possesses, however:

Almost all of these guides were composed by people who left their characters macroing unattended, with access to huge quantities of raw materials; they include ridiculously large sections (in terms of skill requirements) wherein resource-wastage-to-expected-skill-gain is absolutely horrible; hitherto, no one (else) has pointed-out these flaws.

Ironically, the prevalence of such extremely-flawed guides in "the forum" is also era-accurate ...

The wiki guide:

50 - 65: Cutlass
65 - 75: Kryss
75 - 85: Short Spear
85 - 95: Plate Gorgets
95 - GM: Plate Gloves

Question 1 is: do you want skill gain, or monetary return on ingots used? Skill-gain-only is flushing 30-40k ingots (worth 210k-280k+ gp) completely down the toilet to gain from 50-GM, as it is assumed all created items are being smelted back into ingots and re-smithed. Trying to gain from 50-GM, "paying for itself", will take very, very much longer, and requires you to make entirely different items.

For skill-gain-only, follow the wiki guide; I would recommend these changes:

50-55: Maul (Cutlass will destroy thousands of ingots);
Cutlass skill-gains 62-65 will be quite slow, but with a good number of successes;
65-70: Scimitar (Kryss will destroy thousands of ingots);
70-72: Broadsword (Kryss will still destroy hundreds of ingots);
72-81: Kryss (this is where my UOSA smith is at, at the date of this posting, but I anticipate ...)

81-83: Katana;
83-93: Short Spear;
93-98: Spear;
98-GM: Plate Gloves;

The last time I GMed a smith was more than 10 years ago on OSI, and most of that was (only barely) pre-T2A; I finished GMing him spring of '99; my 50-75ish "guide" is from the last month of my raising my smith here at UOSA, and the 75ish+ advice is from my 20th-century OSI recollections.

If you want smithing to pay for itself, you'll need to make armor (not weapons) that require a minimum skill of 20-25 points below whatever your displayed skill is; when you have a choice, make the item that requires the fewest ingots; everything you make will be sold to NPCs, in order to buy new ingots.

Good luck.

SS
You see: a character crafted by Sheer Luck

[23:55]<Soma> I know very well of Abbott's ways
[23:56]<Soma> He may be a pedophile, but he's a damn good smith