How low (player number) can we go?

A place to discuss shard marketing ideas to find players seeking a T2A experience.
randale

How low (player number) can we go?

Post by randale »

I think someone said that Derrick would run the shard even if there was only one player. And, this has happened before. I was on the metropolis shard and signed in and was told I was the only player on the shard.

I read the thread about voting, and I can do that. I have an anonymous facebook account that I will use, as I really don't add online friends, only people I know in real life to it. I wonder what kind of people we'd get. I know about UO because I played it back in 99-2000 on the Lake Superior OSI shard. I'm wondering what age range of players we'd get (you can post your age if you don't mind, I'd like to know) I wonder if we'll get Millenialls under 30, who may never even have heard of the game. Another thing I realized is Derrick and the admins really are running this for OUR (the players) benefit, they can't profit off the shard (I think they deserve some money personally, for what they give us and the effort and money it takes to run it) and they don't play on it, where they can use their administrative powers (Unlike Telamon's Renaissance Shard- or so I heard) People may hate it, but if admins wanted to and need to, could they run in-game ads?

I like the shard now, but may eventually leave it. I mean, I think that's a reason expansions to games are made, to add new content. But, that can the negative effect of unbalancing/wrecking a good thing. Right now, I have a full 15 toons on all three of my accounts, and GM'd almost every skill worth GMing (ie- not camping, begging, herding, etc) Simply put, there may be nothing left for me to do, other than events, just run dry of options.

Cromwell
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: How low (player number) can we go?

Post by Cromwell »

If a tree falls in Windmere* Woods, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Depending on your answer, the lowest player count is either 0 or 1. It happens on server restarts.

* What's the deal with the spelling of this? Stratics and UOGuide list it as Windemere. If you mark it, it's spelled Windmere. Then there's also Windermere, which I've never seen in a UO context. Does anyone remember what the runes said on T2A?
"The Finest Arms, Armor, and Service. UBB."

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Randale lol. Your personal gripes have little to do with pop.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

randale

Post by randale »

Capitalist wrote:Randale lol. Your personal gripes have little to do with pop.
Really, how do you know other people didn't leave for the same reason I may?

randale

Post by randale »

Depending on your answer, the lowest player count is either 0 or 1. It happens on server restarts.
I'm obviously not talking about server restarts. I meant regular players, actually I should take a look at that graph. Does Derrick and the admins maintain the server solely for the benefits of the players, since if you own your own UO reverse-engineered server, you can't profit from it.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

randale wrote:
Because I've made hundreds of people ragequit.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

cmax333

Post by cmax333 »

You guys haven't beaten this game yet? Thats why you don't have many players because they have already beaten it.. Man... and I thought it took me a long time to beat duck hunt on NES but you guys take the cake

Grogor

Post by Grogor »

randale wrote:
May?
a.jpg
a.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 6437 times

randale

Post by randale »

Grogor wrote:
randale wrote:
May?
a.jpg
Yeah, I think I may get bored of this shard, after I've done everything. But, I also think I may not quit, just maintain my houses, etc, because I have a feeling I may regret it if I give everything up.

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Randale

The best thing to do if you are getting bored is to just refresh your cribs for awhile.

There are a lot of players who have lives and don't play regular, but don't give up anything.

Its much to hard to build up chars and some wealth, just to sell it off and attempt to
rebuild
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

randale

Post by randale »

So, to really get down to it, WHY is it we don't ever have hundreds of players on, whenever I sign in it's usually 80 something (even during prime hours 5-9PM across different time zones) what are the reasons for THEM quitting, maybe they have different reasons than mine, maybe they don't. But, the fact is we've lost a lot of players.

Their accounts still exist, as accounts are never deleted for inactivity. If the reasons were just "been there done (everything) that" then what we need is new players who have never played the game before. Did events happen in T2A? I guess the strictly T2A-ness doesn't apply to them, but that seems to be what a lot of veteran players that have done everything do. Don't we need to get more mainstream players, who will macros skills for various tasks in the world, but where would we get them. I wonder if someone born 10-15 years ago has even heard of UO, so they may not be looking for a shard, free or otherwise.

Grofus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Grofus »

Randale,

There is tons to do in this game besides finishing a toon and have visited all the dungeons or whatever. There is a huge social aspect to it, pvp, roleplaying etc. Its a sandbox. After your toon is complete that is when the game shifts and changes face. Step out of your routine and try some new stuff. You have a guild that I rarely see you interact with. Set up some player run events. Do some duels, go on fishing adventures, make a roleplayer toon. So much to do, the world is your sandbox and the structure you build is of your choosing. Creating excitement beyond what the GMs do in terms of auto events is what brings people back. The game itself is only the canvas, the players are the paintbrush.

EyeOfHorus - Today at 12:03 AM
Grofus is the man tho
Vega - Today at 12:03 AM
^ agreed
we need about 5 more Grofy's on UOSA

:D

Annabell Red

Post by Annabell Red »

Grofus wrote:Randale,

There is tons to do in this game besides finishing a toon and have visited all the dungeons or whatever. There is a huge social aspect to it, pvp, roleplaying etc. Its a sandbox. After your toon is complete that is when the game shifts and changes face. Step out of your routine and try some new stuff. You have a guild that I rarely see you interact with. Set up some player run events. Do some duels, go on fishing adventures, make a roleplayer toon. So much to do, the world is your sandbox and the structure you build is of your choosing. Creating excitement beyond what the GMs do in terms of auto events is what brings people back. The game itself is only the canvas, the players are the paintbrush.

Wise man with sage advice!

Randale, you should try making a character and actually, manually level your skills up. Using macros to GM your skills feels empty to me. I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoy leveling up in this way.