Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

News and Announcements
Derrick

Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Derrick »

The lag issues that we've been experiencing over the last few days, while somewhat misunderstood at this time are somewhat related to our current resource load.

We've had trouble with this present shard server since we moved to it, I've suspected a memory problem as there have been random unexplained crashes in which the shard is just terminated by the OS without even a chance to send out an error report. I am in the process of considering getting us a new server immediately, which is something that we're going to have to do within the next few months anyway due to dramatic increases in memory requirements over the last few months, mostly attributable to the item count on the shard. Last year at this time we were at about 750k items, and we're now pushing 3.3 million. I never would have fathomed 3.3 million items at the time we made our last move.

If I decide to upgrade/change our hardware, I'll try to get it done this weekend. It's likely at this point as I've been unable to find a rational explanation for some of the problems we've been seeing. The upgrade target would be a 64bit platform, which expands the application memory ceiling of the 32bit OS we are presently on.

This will likely increase our monthly hosting costs, and well as incurring some up front costs during the transition (I'm still pricing it out). If you have a couple extra bucks laying around or can spare a few dollars a month for a subscription it would be much appreciated. Information on donating to Second Age is available here: http://www.uosecondage.com/Donate.aspx

There are no in game rewards for donations which does make fundraising challenging without an occasional plea for help.

Thanks for your patience with the lag issues. As always, we'll get it fixed one way or another.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Apok
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Apok »

Great your on top of this one!.

quick question. Is there any relation betwwen this and the client desyching?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I think there may be, but I'm not sure. I've been unable to find an explanation for the desynchs, and it only seems to happen to some people so it's possibly network related.

Some desynchs are to be expected as always, but it seems some people do run into them way more often than what would be expected.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

not much but the 10bucks in my paypal heading your way

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Thanks much to everyone who has donated or subscribed so far today, we've covered about half the costs of the new server's first month (will overlap).

I've ordered it and hope to begin configuring tonight if it's ready.

Much Thanks to:
- Sebben
- JimBob
- Natty Bo
- Chaos
- Andre771
- Malice
- Hans

And all our other current donors and subscribers who keep us afloat: http://forum.uosecondage.com/memberlist ... &sk=m&sd=d

TheAgents

Post by TheAgents »

Maybe a Clean Up Brit style campaign to reduce the item count?

Hans
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hans »

TheAgents wrote:Maybe a Clean Up Brit style campaign to reduce the item count?
I too, think this is a good idea. Even with the new server coming.

Do stackable items count against the total item count individually, or as a single item once stacked?

I admit to being a pack-rat. I collect things that I think I might need - some for characters I haven't even created yet. I'd gladly trash some of my horde if It would help the shard.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Hans wrote:
TheAgents wrote:Maybe a Clean Up Brit style campaign to reduce the item count?
I too, think this is a good idea. Even with the new server coming.

Do stackable items count against the total item count individually, or as a single item once stacked?

I admit to being a pack-rat. I collect things that I think I might need - some for characters I haven't even created yet. I'd gladly trash some of my horde if It would help the shard.
Being a pack rat is kind of part of T2A, and I don't want anyone to feel guilty about hording items within reason. 3.3 million items is a lot of stuff, but it'd be difficult to make much of a dent in the number I think, even with a CUB.

The problem with the CUB as discussed in other threads is that in the end it creates more item hording in anticipation of another in the future, and this anticipation has led to a good portion of this item count. I think the last thing we want is for a million items to get converted into neon hair dyes and other items which are currently relatively rare.

The new server is under reconfiguration as the first spec on it was undersighted on drive speeds. Still hoping to have it up tommorrow.

Zane

Post by Zane »

I think maybe it's time to rethink the way CUB was done then.

Perhaps there is a way to restrict the number of certain items granted per account with a mininum age on the account. I really don't know how this stuff works, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

We have to understand that even though it's been stated that there won't be another CUB, there have been people that have stated they are hoarding just in case.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Derrick has repeatedly stated that there would not be a CUB event, and yet so many people horde items in anticipation of it. Granting a cub rewards a terrible loop.

No cub, dump all the crap into the trash barrel or sell it to npcs.

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Bets Derrick shakes his head every time he hears the phrase CUB.

Downs

Post by Downs »

Regarding a CUB and a way to discourage hoarding for a CUB event, do you think it's worth discussing holding a CUB more frequently (say every 2 or 3 months), but severely reducing the value of items submitted for tickets?

I know it will upset the ones that have 100 hair & beard dyes hoarded away, but if the issue is item count, it gives a reason not to hoard items for the CUB that may or may not ever come, as they can be dealt with every few months.

I don't know if this is a realistic solution, but maybe it merits some non "OMG NEWB" discussion?

Zorce
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Zorce »

I will keep subscribing. I feel its a hell of alot more satisfying to pay monthly to a shard that stays true to era and communicates with its players. I also know its put to good use and not in the hands of corporate tycoons who are too obsessed with taking everyone's money and not caring much about the game and services they offer.

Thanks Derrick

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We would be pretty boned if not for the subscribers and regular donators, thanks Zorce, and everyone.

Fortuneately, tommorrow is always a day away. I wasn't able to do the switch over this morning, planning on tommorrow morning. I'll post more info on that later today.

May be doing the forum switch over at noon today, I'll post about that shortly.

(I made a post and the forums swallowed it :/)

Facelessman0419

Post by Facelessman0419 »

I have a suggestion to get rid of those items. Have a clean up Britania event. Where you dump items in a special trashcan to give you points and use those points to get prizes/rares. That way people can dump all the unwanted junk in their houses and clean out their banks in hope for one or two rare items. That way you can get rid of the lag and people will be happy with thier prizes.