Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

News and Announcements
User avatar
Derrick
Posts: 9003
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Cove
Contact:

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Derrick »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:I just subscribed I didnt know it was that easy. I think I might have messed up though as I put my new address instead of my billing address since I just moved. Can you confirm this wen through?

Normally I wouldnt put that information on the net, I made an exception for UOSA though.

It did come through. Thanks very much!
Image
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

User avatar
Brules
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Brules »

SO just a few months post new server etc, item count appears to be 4.2 million and growing rapidly. Lag has been worse lately and all day today saves have been 15-16 seconds and we had 1 crash.

Are these issues related to item count? I loged out just now because the lag spikes etc were in bearable. I used to get 50-70 ms pings, I am now regularly getting 150-180.

Last 2 weeks have been worse than ever......

Sandro
Posts: 3906
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:43 pm
Location: Korea

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Sandro »

Lag was extremely bad at both tournaments tonight as well.

User avatar
Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Chaos »

Derrick wrote:We're running into a memory crunch and need to upgrade. Working on it.


(taken from recent thread)


I hear we are suppose to be getting bonus this month for the first time in over a year .. Remember everyone .. even 5 dollars can help if we all give what we can .. And I'm by no means rich or can afford it often. But glad I'll be able to send some thing this month.. :)

User avatar
DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 am
Contact:

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by DarkWing »

Just did my Part

User avatar
Derrick
Posts: 9003
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Cove
Contact:

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Derrick »

Thanks Much DarkWing and Chaos!

Aye the problem right now is memory, and I'm doing my best to free some up pending an upgrade, which is going to increase our monthly costs somewhat. This came on quick as a few variables were added for the new combat system, and there are still some remnants of the old system that haven't fully been cleaned out; but we were flirting with this before hand, it just got a jump on me with this patch.

We lease because we can upgrade fast, but at the same time we don't overdo the specs because every spec has a cost, and i don't like begging for money (although that may be what I'm doing).
Image
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Nicoladen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Nicoladen »

Derrick wrote:Thanks Much DarkWing and Chaos!

Aye the problem right now is memory, and I'm doing my best to free some up pending an upgrade, which is going to increase our monthly costs somewhat. This came on quick as a few variables were added for the new combat system, and there are still some remnants of the old system that haven't fully been cleaned out; but we were flirting with this before hand, it just got a jump on me with this patch.

We lease because we can upgrade fast, but at the same time we don't overdo the specs because every spec has a cost, and i don't like begging for money (although that may be what I'm doing).


Thats not begging. Things have a cost and even though you probably would do what you are doing without donations etc. funds are needed to keep things rolling smooth.

If we want a top notch server (hardware wise) it will cost money - it's pretty simple really.

I'll bump up my subscribtion, since the sons are playing here too ;)

btw, is there any where to check out the server specs for the shard? processors, ram, disks, bandwith U/D etc.?

I'm interested in game server specs :D have had several servers myself :)

cheers.

User avatar
Derrick
Posts: 9003
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Cove
Contact:

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Derrick »

Thanks much to the shard supporters who have heeded the call on this since last night, DarkWing, applejack, Nicoladen. And all the Subscribers and past donators who get much less recognition than is deserved, and without whom UOSA would suffer greatly.

I'm working with Peer1/ServerBeach this morning to find an upgrade path for the shard as it looks like our current box already has the maximum memory installable in the motherboard. I'm also continuing to take other measures on the server to free up some memory in the meantime.

The shard is supported by player subscriptions, donations and advertising on the forums. The forum ad revenue is not substantial, covering about 25% of our costs. As a perk to subscribers and donators you will no longer see the "in topic" advertisements on the forums.

More information on donating and subscribing can be found here: http://www.uosecondage.com/Donate

Thanks again for your support of Second Age!
Image
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Zershii
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Zershii »

I'll be donating tonight after work. I've only been on this server for a little more than a month, but it's fantastic. I've found a cool group of people to play with and the game reminds me very much of what I used to play back in the late 90s. It's UO as it should be and I am more than happy to do my part.

User avatar
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!
Posts: 4550
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by nightshark »

Subscribe/donate or felix will continually attempt to PK you while you play*

* Felix will probably continually PK you regardless

User avatar
DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 am
Contact:

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by DarkWing »

nightshark wrote:Subscribe/donate or felix will continually attempt to PK you while you play*

* Felix will probably continually PK you regardless


Is this intended to scare people? .... doesn't do a thing for me ... Felix is just a Loud Mouth ....

User avatar
Brules
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Brules »

Derrick wrote:Thanks much to the shard supporters who have heeded the call on this since last night, DarkWing, applejack, Nicoladen. And all the Subscribers and past donators who get much less recognition than is deserved, and without whom UOSA would suffer greatly.

I'm working with Peer1/ServerBeach this morning to find an upgrade path for the shard as it looks like our current box already has the maximum memory installable in the motherboard. I'm also continuing to take other measures on the server to free up some memory in the meantime.

The shard is supported by player subscriptions, donations and advertising on the forums. The forum ad revenue is not substantial, covering about 25% of our costs. As a perk to subscribers and donators you will no longer see the "in topic" advertisements on the forums.

More information on donating and subscribing can be found here: http://www.uosecondage.com/Donate

Thanks again for your support of Second Age!


CUB

Serios.

User avatar
Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Re: Lag, Hardware Upgrade, and a little bit of panhandling.

Post by Chaos »

Brules wrote:
CUB

Serios.


I've been thinking of a way to make a proposal to add a demand driven event process .. were as maybe we could maybe either have event times changed based on a donation(gold sink) to an npc .. which ever time zone has most best donations sch. events will be held on their standard time .. Or maybe a Event that would spawn if given x amount was given to NPC, for those players that want to give to newer players but rather not just give them gold .. (I know that all pay outs would have to some how be equal to or less then items gold given for said event.)

Any thoughts on this would be great ... and maybe i can finish and polish the idea the start a thread

Yes I know this would not be era acc.. but neither is current system .. so if we can turn a none era acc aspect we will be keeping for now, why not make it a gold sink instead of a resource payout.

Post Reply