A Call for testing

News and Announcements
Derrick

A Call for testing

Post by Derrick »

There is a new patch on test center which needs some real-play testing.

I've just put it up, and I will expand soon on the changes but the primary changes are fixes are to Jewelry and Clothing enchantments, and a change to the way the timers work internally.
  • The bugs related to the protection enchantment for jewelry and/or clothing should be fixed.
  • Nightsight will only expire at dawn each day.
  • All timers are now based on "ticks"
    • This means that during periods of server lag, server time will not pass
    • Time will not pass during world saves, so the incidents of getting double flamestiked, or double fire-breath'd surrounding a world save should cease.
    • This may have implications for the feel of combat, and it will be Way more noticable on our laggy test server than on live
This is a test of some serious modifications to the RunUO core timers, constructive feedback will be very useful. Bugs are very expected.

You can connect to the test center with:
Server: test.uosecondage.com
Port: 2593

You can set your skills and stats on test center. Type "help" ingame for info on that.

There are bags of enchanted jewelry and clothing near the Sweet Dreams Inn in Britain for testing.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Fede

Re: A Call for testing

Post by Fede »

I can't connect to the test server. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Drull

Post by Drull »

test.uosecondage.com

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Can someone spell out how to set skills and stats?

I knew the [help command, but still couldn't figure out how to set these things on test :-)

Faust

Post by Faust »

Does this include the rewritten original combat timer or is just based on an actual timer of ticks with the current system for now?

Krats

Post by Krats »

Mikel123 wrote:Can someone spell out how to set skills and stats?

I knew the [help command, but still couldn't figure out how to set these things on test :-)
Use: set <Str / Int / Dex > <ammount>
Example: set Int 100

Use: set <skill> <level>
Example: Set Magery 1000 (translate to 100.0)

hope this helps

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Derrick wrote:
  • All timers are now based on "ticks"
    • This means that during periods of server lag, server time will not pass
    • Time will not pass during world saves, so the incidents of getting double flamestiked, or double fire-breath'd surrounding a world save should cease.
    • This may have implications for the feel of combat, and it will be Way more noticable on our laggy test server than on live
Does this mean test server will be running saves in order for us to test this?

Downs

Post by Downs »

Krats wrote:
Mikel123 wrote:Can someone spell out how to set skills and stats?

Use: set <Str / Int / Dex > <ammount>
Example: set Int 100

Use: set <skill> <level>
Example: Set Magery 1000 (translate to 100.0)

hope this helps

Also, for skills with 2 words, type one word. It took me forever to figure out.
Example: Set evaluatingintelligence 100

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Faust wrote:Does this include the rewritten original combat timer or is just based on an actual timer of ticks with the current system for now?
So far, only the main timer has been recoded. The combat "swing states" still needs to be looked at.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Possible to get a more detailed description of the changes that have all been patched and what to look/test for?

So far all I really see is swing timers not advancing through server saves/lag, which was never really an issue to me before.

How does this affect archery? I heard there we're possible boosts to archery included with this patch.

Faust

Post by Faust »

It doesn't sound like the complete overhaul of the swing timer that you are aware of Alatar. I think it's just the same status quo that actually uses a timer based on ticks for reducing the delay.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Sandro wrote:Possible to get a more detailed description of the changes that have all been patched and what to look/test for?

So far all I really see is swing timers not advancing through server saves/lag, which was never really an issue to me before.

How does this affect archery? I heard there we're possible boosts to archery included with this patch.
I'll try to put a more detailed description together. This is a very preliminary release of some major core changes to timers. Nothing much has changed beyond what is described.

We just restarted the test center as the timers were off a little bit, causing what felt like pretty bad lag. It was most blatant when a 7th+ or summon spell was cast, there was a pause between "pump" animations.

What I'm really looking for at this point is, does combat seem generally the same as Live, and basically watching for crashes.

The timer changes are not specifically combat timers, it is the global timer that runs everything, it will effect for example creature AI and movement speed too.

Clyde-

Post by Clyde- »

Actually all you say is:
set magery 100
set evalint 100..not evaluatingintelligence.

No need to say set "skill" 1000

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We will be modifying charge duration with the patch. It was discovered that charges on clothing and jewelry items only lasted about 50 seconds (less server lag), which was relatively shocking to me. Batlin did some attitional research which appears to verify the finding.
Batlin wrote:http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... e+duration
Magic reflect items 'seem' to work for 5-9seconds per charge of the item.
So needless to say they are consumed rather rapidly. A good tactic to use
for the items is if you have magic reflect cast upon you to start. Most
good (and still living) combat mages will cast harm/ma at a target before
going into serious combat. If you time it right, let them cast their
initial spell and then fall into their typical routine of para/explod/ebolt
(or whatever). The trick is to wear the item AFTER they start casting. If
you use UOA you can program it to wear the item with a keystroke. Let them
para you, then wear the item. With luck they will explode/ebolt themselves
before they even realize it. Pop off that little magic trapped pouch you
always carry and clean house.
Check stratics (uo.stratics.com) for the exact duration per charge, but if
you can keep your head about you they are VERY rude surprises for mages
sometimes.
http://groups.google.be/group/rec.games ... e+duration
They don't last long enough, period. You put them on, you use charges
automatically until they are gone, and with the same duration as if the
equivalent spell was cast by a GM mage, 120 real time seconds per charge.
In 20 minutes, your boots of cunning (10 charges) are gone, and for most
people, the 10 points of int for that long isn't worth the trouble of
dealing with it, especially if it is an armor area that you can't afford to
be without.
We will also be looking to see if the charges that are appearing on items is accurate, I'm suspecting that this will likely lead to an increase on the charges of items on UOSA

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Test center was just updated, changing the way that pet guarding works internally, and adding the [guarded] tag to items and creatures which are guarded.

This patch is getting very close to publish. There has been a bit of feedback on it, and generally no one has noticed a difference in combat.

The only thing that is certain to change at this point is the duration of magic charges, going down to 50 seconds from two minutes. We do plan to compensate for this reduction by increasing charges on existing items on the shard at patch time.

We will be working towards making the charges that spawn on items accurate to OSI, which will likely increase the charges on items found in the future.